Alcoholic drinks when dining

Peter Lanky

I am relatively new to cruising and have only been on two cruises so far where alcoholic drinks were included in the fare on both. However, I have an Oceania cruise booked next year for which I have decided against purchasing an alcoholic drinks package, and am not taking the drinks option for o-life.

We usually choose to share dining tables with others, being sociable creatures, so how do the staff differentiate between those who have a drinks package and those who don't at a mixed dining table, without making it uncomfortable for the non drinkers?

At the end of the meal they will ask for your ship card

Some just put it on the edge of the table  at the end of the meal before dessert 

Personal choice

We have never had an issue when sharing a table  with others

One of the aspects that I love about Oceania is that there is no (effective) limit to the amount of wine that you can bring on board, both at embarkation, and at ports of call. I usually don’t bring bottles of spirits, but I understand that is also possible. So, You can select wine of your choice and price range at a local liquor store, transport your wine to the ship as you embark. Then at no cost, you can drink the wine in your state room or for a $25 corkage fee you can enjoy your wine in a restaurant during meal time. If you don’t finish the bottle, they will store the wine for your use at a future meal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhD-iva said:

One of the aspects that I love about Oceania is that there is no (effective) limit to the amount of wine that you can bring on board, both at embarkation, and at ports of call. I usually don’t bring bottles of spirits, but I understand that is also possible. So, You can select wine of your choice and price range at a local liquor store, transport your wine to the ship as you embark. Then at no cost, you can drink the wine in your state room or for a $25 corkage fee you can enjoy your wine in a restaurant during meal time. If you don’t finish the bottle, they will store the wine for your use at a future meal.

That's interesting. I was aware of reading online of a six bottle limit, which is probably the maximum most people could carry when struggling with suitcases etc. I will probably do this but just for drinking in our cabin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Lanky said:

That's interesting. I was aware of reading online of a six bottle limit, which is probably the maximum most people could carry when struggling with suitcases etc. I will probably do this but just for drinking in our cabin.

Yes, the printed limit is six bottles. Several have posted here that they have brought on a case or two at embarkation. I have never read where anyone was not able to bring however many bottles on board.
But we always caution cruisers to stay within guidelines by not consuming the wine outside of their state room, unless they are paying the corkage fee at a restaurant. 

• Like 2

If you do not have a beverage package and would like some wine at dinner, you can order a bottle (I believe they start in price at about  $50).

If you do not finish the bottle, they write your cabin number on it and store it for you.

You can order it up at any restaurant at lunch or dinner (does not have to be the same restaurant).

• Like 1

The staff don’t make it uncomfortable for the non-drinkers or those who aren’t on a drinks package.

It’s the “sommeliers” who come to the table near the end of the meal to settle up with those that ordered and were served chargeable beverages by asking for their room cards, and in my experience they’ve been equally pleasant and respectful to everyone at the table regardless of whether they’re on a drink package or not (or not imbibing).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peter Lanky said:

I am relatively new to cruising and have only been on two cruises so far where alcoholic drinks were included in the fare on both. However, I have an Oceania cruise booked next year for which I have decided against purchasing an alcoholic drinks package, and am not taking the drinks option for o-life.

We usually choose to share dining tables with others, being sociable creatures, so how do the staff differentiate between those who have a drinks package and those who don't at a mixed dining table, without making it uncomfortable for the non drinkers?

I notice you are a Brit.  I am too.  Americans are unfamiliar with the concept of  taking turns "buying a round".  Each guest fully expects to pay for their own drinks, either through the package or not.  Nobody at a shared table will expect you to offer to buy them a drink, in fact they would be puzzled if you did.  If you and your partner buy a bottle of wine at a shared table the server will only serve it to you, not diners you've just met.  I don't like the American habit of over-tipping, but when it comes to buying drinks for strangers the Americans have it right!  Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, china addict said:

I notice you are a Brit.  I am too.  Americans are unfamiliar with the concept of  taking turns "buying a round".  Each guest fully expects to pay for their own drinks, either through the package or not.  Nobody at a shared table will expect you to offer to buy them a drink, in fact they would be puzzled if you did.  If you and your partner buy a bottle of wine at a shared table the server will only serve it to you, not diners you've just met.  I don't like the American habit of over-tipping, but when it comes to buying drinks for strangers the Americans have it right!  Hope this helps.

I wasn't thinking of our concept of rounds, but when the wine waiter comes round, they simply filled everyone's glasses at the tables on the cruises I have been on. No need to ask because everyone was inclusive. I was just wondering how it worked when not everyone was in the same position. I think my question has been answered in other replies though.

5 hours ago, Peter Lanky said:

I wasn't thinking of our concept of rounds, but when the wine waiter comes round, they simply filled everyone's glasses at the tables on the cruises I have been on. No need to ask because everyone was inclusive. I was just wondering how it worked when not everyone was in the same position. I think my question has been answered in other replies though.

Some lines where wine is included   they usually offer red or white   so there is no problem for refills

On Oceania you may order a different wine with each course if you choose or order a bottle   & another couple may order a different  bottle    the staff know who ordered what

They will pour your bottle for you & their bottle for the other party  IME

They take your card at the end of the meal  to bill your account accordingly

So far  it has worked for us  but I am sure things may get mixed up on occasion

• Like 1

I too am taking an Oceania cruise where I have not yet decided whether to buy the wine package.  Has anyone done the math to determine when the package makes sense from an economic standpoint, when wine by the glass makes sense and when buying bottles makes sense.  I would probably be having 2 or 3 glasses at dinner, one before bedtime and maybe one at lunch.

Sorry if this has been answered before.  I find the search option on this website to provide too much extraneous information to be worthwhile.  And we all know that CC'ers like to help.

BYOB! And pay a $25 corkage fee to drink the wine at any restaurant, or consume it free in your stateroom. Then, there are 2 opportunities to purchase “2 for 1” drinks during happy hour. My double vodka cranberry costs about $13 during HH. 
This is why I love O, we’ll have to see what happens going forward……

PS, the included wines on offer within the package are not the “premium” wines their marketing folks rave about. JMO.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 3:22 PM, LHT28 said:

Some lines where wine is included   they usually offer red or white   so there is no problem for refills

On Oceania you may order a different wine with each course if you choose or order a bottle   & another couple may order a different  bottle    the staff know who ordered what

They will pour your bottle for you & their bottle for the other party  IME

They take your card at the end of the meal  to bill your account accordingly

So far  it has worked for us  but I am sure things may get mixed up on occasion

You may technically be able to order a different wine with each course but our experience right now is that the wine steward disappears after the first pour until it’s time to submit room cards.  No refills offered, certainly never suggested a white with apps and red with entrees, for example.  Asking for an after- dinner port was like pulling teeth.  Ymmv.

And we’ve been wondering why they need our cards at the end of a meal? They know our name and room number and what package we have, it’s sort of awkward to have to pull out cards!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poinsettiaplate said:

I too am taking an Oceania cruise where I have not yet decided whether to buy the wine package.  Has anyone done the math to determine when the package makes sense from an economic standpoint, when wine by the glass makes sense and when buying bottles makes sense.  I would probably be having 2 or 3 glasses at dinner, one before bedtime and maybe one at lunch.

Sorry if this has been answered before.  I find the search option on this website to provide too much extraneous information to be worthwhile.  And we all know that CC'ers like to help.

Having given this some consideration I have now changed my O Life option from the Excursion package to the drinks package, because previously I had not cruised before so didn't know how things would work out for me. I didn't do it by maths, because everything is overpriced on cruises and tends to give a false conclusion, but these are my musings:

Excursions from cruises are not really all that they are cracked up to be. On most of the ones we did before, you get on a coach and maybe visit 4 or 5 places to either walk around for 30 mins or stop to enjoy the scenery and take some pictures at each one for 3 or 4 hours in total. For this you are charged over $100 each. I have now decided I would rather use the shuttle service to the port town and explore there and only take an excursion where there is no viable option.

The $800 on board credit doesn't really buy much when you consider the prices of things onboard that are triple the price on land.

We considered our previous drinking habits, and 80% of our alcohol consumption was drinking wine with meals. We made lunch last an hour and spent 2-3 hours at dinner engaging with other guests. We maybe had an occasional drink pre/post dinner, but that was it. Therefore the limited drinks package offered with Oceania of wine with meals near enough covers what we need.

If you are buying a package as a standalone, rather than an O Life option, consider that the average price for a glass of wine is around $13, which becomes almost $16 when the gratuity is added (don't even get me started on that farce), so the House Select at $40 including the 'g' word, means that it is better value if you have 3 glasses of wine or more per day with meals. Anyone who likes more than one drink outside dining times would be better with the Prestige package.

Edited by Peter Lanky

7 hours ago, poinsettiaplate said:

I've done the maths.  On a 15 day cruise we have $400 pp O Life to spend which works out at $26.67 per day.  Red wine costs at least €14 plus 20% gratuity, so $16.80.  You only need to drink 2 glasses of wine at dinner for the basic package to be advantageous at the rate we're paying.  White wine can work out at $14.40, so you still win.  If you have a glass of wine at lunch and 3 at dinner it works out at up to $67.20 per day.  A drink at bedtime would be extra and not covered by the basic drinks package, but if you brought the full package it would be.

Bearing in mind that we have only 1 sea day on our cruise, we won't be having a lunchtime drink on board very often, and I usually have a soft drink then, otherwise I need a siesta, although my beloved will have a beer.  I might have a cocktail before dinner, but not enough to justify the extra €30 to upgrade to the full package.  

We had hoped to choose the excursions for our O life perk but the ones we wanted were full, so we're taking the drinks package instead.  We've previously taken our own wine on board and that worked out fine, but we were cruising the Baltic with stops in Europe to stock up.  I was less sure about buying wine in Norway.

If you don’t have a O Life perk to use it would still pay you to take the basic package of wine with meals.  Just 3 glasses of white wine per day would cost $43.20.  Your bedtime drink would cost extra, but you could bring your own alcohol on board and have it in your cabin, mixers are free and you can choose what you'd like your fridge to be stocked with.  That's the less sociable option, but if you like your own company it works.

I hope this helps.

@Peter Lanky  I’ve reached the same conclusion.  This year's is the first O cruise where we considered taking the excursions, mainly because we're going to some remote places.  But like you, while I enjoy cruising, I'm much less keen on sitting on a coach.  We've done 4 cruises already, including SE Asia, and the Baltic with 3 days in St Petersburg, and we've only ever done private tours or exploring on our own.

As it turns out we've managed to find independent tours in the remote places, just as well given the O excursions we wanted were fully booked.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, poinsettiaplate said:

The one at bedtime could be problematic, since the basic wine package is only with meals in a restaurant. But if you consume 3 or more glasses at meals,  the package at $40 pp would be the better deal.  I don’t have a link handy, but wine menus are posted in several threads on this board.  The per drink prices in the menus do not include the 20% gratuity.  The package includes the gratuities.

Edited by 1985rz1

8 hours ago, Sujormik said:

And we’ve been wondering why they need our cards at the end of a meal? They know our name and room number and what package we have, it’s sort of awkward to have to pull out cards!

They have to physically swipe your card in the machine.  The process is more than just a matter of knowing your name and cabin number.  I place my card on the table and have not found it to be awkward.

YMMV

• Like 4

15 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

BYOB! And pay a $25 corkage fee to drink the wine at any restaurant, or consume it free in your stateroom.

Just my luck that my first Oceania cruise embarks in Reykjavik. 

You know -- that place with the most expensive wine prices in the world...  🤦‍♀️

https://www.tastingtable.com/1199231/2-nordic-countries-are-the-most-expensive-in-the-world-for-buying-wine/#:~:text=Iceland is the most expensive country to buy wine&text=Iceland is known to mark,might be just from tax.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just my luck that my first Oceania cruise embarks in Reykjavik. 

You know -- that place with the most expensive wine prices in the world...  🤦‍♀️

Pack a couple of bottles  to take with you  or shop at the Duty free on the way out of the Country

I have  some bags similar to these

https://www.amazon.ca/Wine-Protector-Travel-Bag-2-Pack/dp/B07YXCMQLW

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Pack a couple of bottles  to take with you  or shop at the Duty free on the way out of the Country

I have  some bags similar to these

https://www.amazon.ca/Wine-Protector-Travel-Bag-2-Pack/dp/B07YXCMQLW

Many years ago on a business trip to California, someone had wine in their luggage. Bottles broke enroute, and when my checked bag appeared it was soaked in white wine (better than red, I guess, but still all of the clothes had to be cleaned/washed).

I wouldn't be tempted to risk that at the beginning of a trip. Maybe at the end.... 😉