Southampton to Heathrow, does National Express bus ever sell out?

Our NCL cruise docks in Southampton on October 1st. The best flight option for us is the following day, Oct 2nd. So we are spending the night at "Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Terminals 2 and 3" the night before our flight.

My question, do I need to be concerned that National Express bus will sell out and we can't get a seat at our preferred time (I'm thinking the 945am bus). Does the  945 sound like a reasonable time selection since we're not in any hurry, but also don't want to get to LHR too early?

I'm reluctant to book too far in advance in case we decide to book some excursion that gets us from Southampton to LHR (doubtful but you never know!)

Thanks,

Denise

They certainly can sell out, yes. Looking at tomorrow the 8:00 is completely full and the 11:45 has only one seat left. Mind you there are five ships in port tomorrow, which is a lot. On your arrival day there are only three.

The 9:45 might be a bit too early as it gets into Heathrow at 12:00 and you may find you can’t check in to your hotel that early. Then again the 11:45 would leave you with time to kill in Southampton assuming you’re thrown off the ship by 9:30. YMMV I guess.

• Thanks 1

Check out International Friends.  They go on disembarkment days from Southampton dock with a stops at Salisbury, Stonehenge and Windsor then dropped off at the door of certain London hotels, LHR hotels.   Buy the Stonehenge and Windsor tickets through them.  It is a full day tour.

I have taken them from Southampton and Dover.  A great way to see more of Britain on the way to London hotel or LHR hotel.  

www.internationalfriends.co.uk

• Thanks 1

Yes they sell out! I paid the extra 5 pounds for changeable ticket & could not get on an earlier coach. Also on the way back it was full & people were on standby & could not get on. Any day a cruise ship is in port I'm assuming will be sold out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just took the return bus to London Heathrow from Southampton.  I had reserved the 11:45 bus.  We were dropped off at the bus station a couple hours early from the port by taxi and there was a long line.  We stood no chance getting on an earlier bus.  We stood for over an hour before we were able to get inside the waiting area, but still had to stand since all the seats were occupied.  Finally our bus came and we were boarded.  No way could we have bought a seat ticket at the station so I am glad we had pre booked  seats.  

Coming from London Heathrow to Southampton we booked seats also, but not on the day we sailed out of Southampton.  We stayed three nights in Southampton pre cruise.  There were loads of seats still available on the Heathrow bus going to Southampton, but I think it was because no ships were leaving Southampton that day.  

I therefore advise to always prebook tickets for the National Express bus, to and from Southampton.  If seats are available for an earlier bus, one may board then, but otherwise you might find yourself unable to board at all or much later than desired.

• Like 1