ETIAS

emam

9265359, Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

I quoted and included much of what you have said to the Irish Government Minister.

I know that the stamping of my passport means nothing.

Your information regarding the EES is welcome, I wasn't aware it had been released the passport user would be able to access the record and dispute any days spent in Schengen with their spouse.

Are you aware if their will be a way of connecting my passport to my husbands to show the relationship. I wonder how they will know, records wise, when I have travelled with him and when without.

I have had my marriage certificate apostilled in preparation in case that is required.

Do you have any idea how it will all be organised and run.

6 minutes ago, kayelbee said:

Are you aware if their will be a way of connecting my passport to my husbands to show the relationship. I wonder how they will know, records wise, when I have travelled with him and when without.

As the Spanish Citizens Advice page says there is no information at the moment, and when I contacted the EU's Europe Direct with that question I just received a bland 'it will be fine' answer back.

For the system to operate there must be a way that EES 'knows' you are the spouse of an EU citizen.

And so *how* will EES 'know' you are related. My guess is that this will be a question on the ETIAS application you will need to make, but that is simply a guess because I cannot think of any other way that they could obtain the information.

Once EES 'knows' you are related then everything else is fine. EES will 'know' when your husband is in Schengen from his electronic passport swipes and EES will 'know' from your electronic passport swipes when you are in Schengen - even when not travelling together at the same time on the same ship or aircraft you can still benefit from his EU citizenship as explained in another example in the Border Guard's manual - 

A Chinese citizen married to a Swedish citizen spends alone, for business purposes, 15 days in Austria. The Swedish citizen then joins him and they spend one month in Portugal. Just after that month, the Swedish spouse leaves the EU. The Chinese citizen can remain alone for the remaining 75 days in the 180-day period (the limit of 90 days in any 180-day period applies, but the stay performed together with the EU citizen should not be counted (in this example, the one month period) when assessing the respect of the limit of 90 days in any 180-day period).

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2023 at 12:16 AM, Snow Hill said:

ETIAS is one thing EES (Entry Exit System) which requires biometric data including fingerprints also comes into force in 2024 for countries not in the EU, It will operate at all airports and EU countries with a maritime ports, not clear yet how this will operate for cruise ships or ferries. 

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/ees/general-information_en

This is the link for ETIAS

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias_en

6 hours ago, Denarius said:

This is the link for ETIAS

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias_en

Interestingly that page says in respect of the €7 fee -

Also exempt are family members of EU citizens or of non-EU nationals who have the right to move freely throughout the European Union.

12 hours ago, kayelbee said:

Are you aware if their will be a way of connecting my passport to my husbands to show the relationship.

And further into the FAQs

Additionally, the travellers who declare that they have a family member who is a citizen of a European country requiring ETIAS, or is a third-country national enjoying the right to move freely throughout the EU in accordance with EU law, will be asked to provide information about the following:

the personal information of the family member with whom they have family ties;

a specification of their family ties with that family member.

And that answers your (and my) question, as that is how you will link your British passport that will hold the ETIAS to your husband’s Irish EU passport.

Edited by 9265359
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
58 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Scuttlebut has it that the ETIAS system is delayed until May 2025 to allow the EES system to be implemented.

wouldn't be surprised. Having worked on UK government IT systems in a former life, there's almost always slippage, or very reduced functionality at implementation. Oh well, another year's "free" travel 😀

• 3 months later...

According to reports the Eu Entry Exit System is going live in October 2024, Simon Calder has indicated the date of Sunday 6 October 2024, this will to apply to Airports and Ports from that date, no indication what effect it will have for Cruise passengers.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/eu-ees-border-launch-2024-date-b2467028.html

Indications are that ETIAS will go live 6 months later.