Am I risking weather ?

suni

I just booked a cruise to leave NYC August 31 and cruise up to Canada for 12 days. Now I am thinking about the fact that this is technically hurricane season. 

Anyone have some thoughts on this ?????

We have sailed to C/NE in September a number of times.  We had hard rain in Halifax once, for an hour or two.  Otherwise fabulous weather.

We have sailed in the Bahamas, Caribbean, Hawaii, and many other areas, including during the official hurricane season.  Occasionally we've had some imperfect weather, but mostly just fine.

I suspect the odds are highly tilted towards no hurricane.

You may get the effects if any hurricanes  that are in the  area   they usually turn into tropical storms   but still can be  damaging  to some areas

Cape Breton got hit bad last Sept

That said  we are on  a cruise  end of Sept  to mid Oct  from Montreal 

fingers crossed

Definitely hurricane season.  I lived in Boston all my life until last summer. I'd say you have a 15% chance of experiencing waves from a storm that you would feel on the cruise, 5% chance of a reroute, and an even  smaller chance of getting stuck in NYC an extra day or two at the beginning of the cruise or returning early.

This happened to us a few years ago.  A hurrican was going up the east coast.  We stayed one day behind it.   We experienced about 30 minutes of minor swells, and the Captain announced we were moving to a calmer water and sure enough in a bit we were calm again.  The only problem we experienced was at Bar Harbor, we were booked for the schoonar, but the storm the previous night had caused some sort of damage (I think it was their gangway).   So we were refunded that tour.  We did not miss any ports.