Big news tomorrow (apparently!)

killarneylady

3 minutes ago, poffles said:

Bang on ... I keep looking at the European cruises and flights just kill the thought.  Not only the cost which is in the thousands per person from Nova Scotia but also that airlines are streamlining so much that most flights have you fly across country in the wrong direction first before flying back past where you started. WestJet, a major Canadian carrier, is now the worst as Calgary is their home base and they now primarily operate by bringing things back to base to 'fly from' ... 5k miles in the wrong direction to Europe from where I live so 10k extra flight miles ... good grief.

You have my sympathy. Aviation is a hobby of mine so I know how lacking the Canadian market is in terms of competition. Throw in the fact that NS' only flight to Europe is on Air Canada and you've got the perfect recipe for nonsensical routings with exorbitant fares. Good grief, indeed!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

They moved it because they think they can make more $$$ by moving it - even taking into account any "apology" OBC they have to give out.

That OBC won’t even get you a chair at some places on Coco cay.  Honestly who thinks  $150 is a good deal on a normally $300 a person for a beach chair?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, riredsox said:

That OBC won’t even get you a chair at some places on Coco cay.  Honestly who thinks  $150 is a good deal on a normally $300 a person for a beach chair?

Is that how they make money?  Good thing there are no “beach” chairs on the big ship you came in on.  😂

5 minutes ago, sunonfire said:

What about the drink packages? My son went on Royal and the drink package was accepted at the private islands. Is Celebrity doing the same?

According to the FAQ someone posted, yes, the Celebrity drink packages will

work at CocoCay. 

It will be interesting though to see how bartenders on the island handle two different systems with both a RCCL and. Celebrity ship in port at the same time. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sunonfire said:

What about the drink packages? My son went on Royal and the drink package was accepted at the private islands. Is Celebrity doing the same?

It would save a lot of money if they just got rid of Celebrity anything and it was all just Royal Caribbean.  Seems some people in this forum would be thrilled.

Edited by zitsky

24 minutes ago, riredsox said:

Beach chairs are free. Cabanas and daybeds cost to rent.

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is that how they make money?  Good thing there are no “beach” chairs on the big ship you came in on.  😂

Not even sure what this means.  Though I am sure it’s snarky.  

52 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Do you have solid numbers on which cruises make the most money for Celebrity?  I find it hard to believe that a 7 day Caribbean cruise generates more profit than a 14 day Europe or Asia cruise.

Making the most money isn't just about selling price and length of cruise, it's also about occupancy and total revenue.  Celebrity wouldnt be making this move if bookings were strong on Beyond in Europe.  They know they can shift the European bookings to Apex and Ascend and likely sell out on those two ships, and fill up Beyond in the Caribbean in the summer.  Revenue optimization.  Boom 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, riredsox said:

Not even sure what this means.  Though I am sure it’s snarky.  

Please tell me if I’m violating any forum rules because I’m not excited that pretty soon this will be the ROYAL CARIBBEAN forum where pax will reminisce about what it was like to cruise on Celebrity.

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

It would save a lot of money if they just got rid of Celebrity anything and it was all just Royal Caribbean.  Seems some people in this forum would be thrilled.

I wouldn’t as I like the Celebrity brand. Many others wouldn’t as they love hanging round here complaining about it continuously 😁.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Maybe so but it seems a lot of this is just speculation.  I’d like to see solid data for why Celebrity would focus on short Caribbean cruises.  

it also fits with the idea that Royal is trying to turn Celebrity into, well, Royal Caribbean.  Short cruises, more children on board etc.

I don’t have a problem with kids but I don’t want a party atmosphere whether from children or adults.

I gave you solid data. Actual data from Celebrity. No speculation. Short Caribbean cruises and 7 day Caribbean are where the money is and where the people are. If long cruises were the money makers, why do they not sell them? It's obvious. 

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 10.09.56 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 10.09.42 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 10.10.14 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 10.11.04 AM.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Please tell me if I’m violating any forum rules because I’m not excited that pretty soon this will be the ROYAL CARIBBEAN forum where pax will reminisce about what it was like to cruise on Celebrity.

I agree with you there.  I am a Celebrity cruiser (40+) with a couple of Royal cruises.  I just didn’t understand the ship I sailed in on part.  

10 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I gave you solid data. Actual data from Celebrity. No speculation. Short Caribbean cruises and 7 day Caribbean are where the money is and where the people are. If long cruises were the money makers, why do they not sell them? It's obvious. 

Hey I appreciate you posting ACTUAL solid data.  Not sure how you got this.  Public presentation?

Edit: You have $$$ also?

I can tell you if they turn X into RC I’ll be going elsewhere.  If I wanted to cruise on RC, I would book, wait for it, RC.

Also I do NOT want to be sailing on older Celebrity ships because they moved everything new to the Caribbean.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, riredsox said:

I’m talking about Coco beach club where people said is more quiet and less kids.  

Ah I see. So the chair and umbrella, private (less crowded) pool, beach and poolside wait-service, shorter bar lines, light breakfast offerings and table-service lunch? A bit more than just a chair, and, as has been stated multiple times, the $300 price tag is not necessarily accurate. Just like anything else, price varies and one should book it when the value is right for them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eltorodiablo said:

Ah I see. So the chair and umbrella, private (less crowded) pool, beach and poolside wait-service, shorter bar lines, light breakfast offerings and table-service lunch? A bit more than just a chair, and, as has been stated multiple times, the $300 price tag is not necessarily accurate. Just like anything else, price varies and one should book it when the value is right for them. 

Is this attractive to you?  Even if I want a beach cruise why is CocoCay more attractive than staying on the ship?

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

What is the average length or cost of a Caribbean cruise?  What about Mediterranean?

I don't know any of this, and I'm not motivated to crunch the public figures to get bad numbers.  But I bet the quants and top management at Celebrity/RCG know.  They've made their moves based on them.  I trust they're being interpreted correctly.

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is this attractive to you?  Even if I want a beach cruise why is CocoCay more attractive than staying on the ship?

I very much enjoyed Coco Beach club when we were there last November. It's not my job to sell you on something that you decided however long ago that you aren't interested in. For me, I like the more private beach that I don't need to find transportation to, and I like the upgraded amenities included in the beach club.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Some of enjoy being in the ocean and nor a chemical infested small cold pool

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Excellent data--especially the bottom bar graph/table.  I would have guessed that the average age was higher.  It would be interesting to see an average age & cruise duration pivot table.  Thanks for posting.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Edit: You have $$$ also?

They aren't going to release profitability by sailing. But you can see revenue by geographic region. For RCG as a whole Europe and Asia combined aren't even close to Caribbean revenue. 

image.thumb.png.b1063abfdd7f9b9eda27be14d886f3c0.png

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Also I do NOT want to be sailing on older Celebrity ships because they moved everything new to the Caribbean.

There are still two E class ships in Europe next summer and two S class ships. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Making the most money isn't just about selling price and length of cruise, it's also about occupancy and total revenue.  Celebrity wouldnt be making this move if bookings were strong on Beyond in Europe.  They know they can shift the European bookings to Apex and Ascend and likely sell out on those two ships, and fill up Beyond in the Caribbean in the summer.  Revenue optimization.  Boom 

Agree! I am on Beyond this Aug in Europe and I've lost count of all the price drops that I've received. I truly believe I am getting to the Gk Isles for a steal and that's unheard of with todays economy. 

Patty 

• Like 1

I must be the exception here but when I read the announcement -  I yawned and thought Ho-Hum. 

We would just not do a 3-4 day cruise.   One reason is too short and the other is that when you live on the West Coast and it takes about a full day of travel in each direction just not worth it.

Other reason is we are not big fans of Private Island Beach  'adventures' and laying out in the sun.  If we were to take the longer cruises we would probably just stay on board and enjoy the peace and tranquility.

• Like 4