Trivia would be more fun without cheaters

USU_Aggie

On 7/11/2023 at 11:23 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

I'm demented, but I find it slightly amusing that a Carnival Corp. ship would have Disney trivia when Disney has their own ships with their own trivia sessions.  I wonder if they ask about Carnival there?  Probably not.  🙃

I'm here to tell you that they do not! 😁 We did a b2b Disney cruise last year, and the trivia got really old, really quick!  Even the adult trivia was all Disney based.  I love Disney, but I'm here to tell you, that after 2 weeks of "What color was Ariel's petticoat when she had legs?"  and minutiae of the like, was a little much! LOL!

• Thanks 1

I've actually been falsely accused of cheating. I was doing a "Name That Tune: Crooners". I didn't purchase the Wi-Fi package so no, I couldn't use my phone. 

Even if I did, I was writing the answers down before the clip finished. I was not on a Back To Back, so there was no way of me knowing the questions prior.

I was also seated right in front of the Fun Squad, so there was no way I was getting away with cheating.

I was in my 20's and got a perfect score. People who were more than twice my age voiced their concerns to the Fun Squad member who ran the trivia. The Fun Squad member looked them straight in the eye and said "I was watching her the entire time...she didn't cheat".

I do not support cheating in any way, so why would I cheat?

• Like 6

10 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I've actually been falsely accused of cheating. I was doing a "Name That Tune: Crooners". I didn't purchase the Wi-Fi package so no, I couldn't use my phone. 

Even if I did, I was writing the answers down before the clip finished. I was not on a Back To Back, so there was no way of me knowing the questions prior.

I was also seated right in front of the Fun Squad, so there was no way I was getting away with cheating.

I was in my 20's and got a perfect score. People who were more than twice my age voiced their concerns to the Fun Squad member who ran the trivia. The Fun Squad member looked them straight in the eye and said "I was watching her the entire time...she didn't cheat".

I do not support cheating in any way, so why would I cheat?

And there's another problem caused by cheating, someone winning honestly can find himself or herself accused of cheating.

• Like 3

Was on the NCL Encore last week and went to most trivia games which is held in the Atrium area.

We always sat towards the back by the bar, well one morning, as the game just got started, the bartender came out from around the bar, stood behind us and started telling us the answers, we told him to please not do that, we just want to play, he said "well, you want to win don't you". 

My brother lost it and told him loudly to STOP and go back to the bar. It was awkward getting drinks from him for the remainder of the cruise.

I've never experienced anything like that before but then again, there were many things I've never experience on that cruise before.

By the way, we never won a single trivia game that cruise. 😄

Edited by tonit964

On 7/4/2023 at 9:33 AM, ryanpatricksmom said:

Many of the "correct" answers are so out of date that it's absurd, especially for the sports trivia.  DH and I win a lot because we have heard the same trivia about a thousand times at this point because they don't switch them up enough.  Some of the answers are just wrong and always were. During one trivia they asked which president was the oldest to be sworn in.  The answer the host had was Trump.  Obviously that's not current, but the truth is that it wasn't Trump ever.  Reagan served two terms, and thus was sworn in twice, the second time he was older than Trump was when sworn in once.  I wasn't about to spend cruise time arguing, but I have no idea where they come up the information sometimes🙄. We still play just  to see if we're still capable of absorbing and retaining information, LOL!  If we win we always give the prize to the next closest winner, or a kid that's either participating or walking by.  

Something similar happened to us when we were doing a trivia on countries around the world. My Dad is the biggest History buff on the planet (has his Bachelor's in History, reads History books, constantly watches The History Channel, etc.). The question was "Which country is the smallest in the world". Ours answer was marked WRONG when it's actually right. We put down "Vatican City", and the answer they accepted was something like "Morocco". 

We went up to the Fun Squad after, informing them that it's actually Vatican City.

• Like 4

The prizes depend on the ship.  It used to be a ship on a stick for the winner of each trivia game.  That has changed to a medallion, AKA “bling on a string” on many ships.  When people play in groups, there is one prize for the team.  In cases of a tie, they have a tie-breaker question.  Some ships still give out ships on a stick, but most seem to have medallions now.

Edited by nwcruiselover

On 7/14/2023 at 5:13 PM, broadwaybaby123 said:

Something similar happened to us when we were doing a trivia on countries around the world. My Dad is the biggest History buff on the planet (has his Bachelor's in History, reads History books, constantly watches The History Channel, etc.). The question was "Which country is the smallest in the world". Ours answer was marked WRONG when it's actually right. We put down "Vatican City", and the answer they accepted was something like "Morocco". 

We went up to the Fun Squad after, informing them that it's actually Vatican City.

Vatican City is correct.  Next smallest is Monaco.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob NC said:

Vatican City is correct.  Next smallest is Monaco.

Doesn't matter according to the person running the trivia; the only thing that matter is what answer if given in the book they use for their trivia. 🤦‍♂️

Though once on a Holland America ship when a whole bunch of us argued they did give in. They said the answer was the Netherlands, not Holland. We all argued back and asked if the cruise line we were on was the Netherlands America Line. 🤣 They were probably technically correct, but that was like arguing America would not be an accepted answer only United States of America.

• Haha 2

On 6/26/2023 at 2:13 PM, tonit964 said:

I agree but cheaters are at every trivia game on every ship and every cruise line.

I just play for fun and to see how many I can get right, I don't even think about trying to win anything because I know the cheaters are in the back googling away. 

I like the couple who has one on the google lookup to feed the other...oh my