Any problems with cancelling w/in 24 hours of booking a flight? (specifically Qantas)

KKB

SO...I discovered that the cruise the week before the one I booked was also CHEAP, so decided to extend my holiday...

About 22 hours after booking my Qantas flight.

So I cancelled it.

I got a confirmation that they received my cancellation w/in a couple hours. 

It's a form letter that says you will get whatever refund your ticket type incurs.

Well, ALL tickets are refundable w/in 24 hours by US law and since Qantas flies to/from the US they must abide by this law.

I have not seen a refund yet (24 hours later)...I DO realize these things can take some time.

MY QUESTION: has anyone done this & had issues (or not!) w/ Qantas?

I need to rebook my flight & wanted to BE SURE it was going back on my credit card & not a Qantas credit before I do.

Thanks if anyone can help.

27 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Have you called Qantas to see what they have to say?

What anyone else has experienced is in no way comparable to actually talking to the company involved.

100%

I am giving them a few days (you know...7-10 business days to see your refund post to your account is pretty typical)

I just wondered if anyone had any experience that could ease my impatience!

Edited by KKB

8 minutes ago, KKB said:

I am giving them a few days (you know...7-10 business days to see your refund post to your account is pretty typical)

36 minutes ago, KKB said:

I need to rebook my flight & wanted to BE SURE it was going back on my credit card & not a Qantas credit before I do.

A call to Qantas would answer if the credit is going back to your credit card or to a QF flight credit.  And once you know that you don't have a QF specific flight credit, you can book your other flight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, KKB said:

Well, ALL tickets are refundable w/in 24 hours by US law and since Qantas flies to/from the US they must abide by this law.

What's the route of your ticket? IIRC, the travel must touch the US for the US rule to apply. In addition, ISTR that if you book directly, Qantas sells some/all tickets from the country of the origin of travel, so (for example) if it's a domestic or trans-Tasman itinerary beginning in Australia, then you probably bought it in Australia and not in the US.

What you post suggests that it was long-haul travel beginning in the US, which would make these caveats inapplicable. But I'm not sure that it's quite as straightforward as "ALL tickets are refundable".

27 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

What's the route of your ticket? IIRC, the travel must touch the US for the US rule to apply. In addition, ISTR that if you book directly, Qantas sells some/all tickets from the country of the origin of travel, so (for example) if it's a domestic or trans-Tasman itinerary beginning in Australia, then you probably bought it in Australia and not in the US.

What you post suggests that it was long-haul travel beginning in the US, which would make these caveats inapplicable. But I'm not sure that it's quite as straightforward as "ALL tickets are refundable".

Fair. Yes, LAX to SYD RT.

THANK YOU ALL!

Called, found out it will be refunded--took maybe TWO minutes!

I am SO used to calling American airlines & cruiselines and being on the phone for sometimes HOURS....I was hesitant to call but thought I'd give it a go.

Brilliant!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

THANK YOU ALL!

Called, found out it will be refunded--took maybe TWO minutes!

I am SO used to calling American airlines & cruiselines and being on the phone for sometimes HOURS....I was hesitant to call but thought I'd give it a go.

Pro tip:  If you are making a call to a call center and are on hold, put your phone on speaker and just go about your other business while you are waiting.  Don't just sit there listening to the lousy music.  It's amazing how much you can accomplish while on hold for two hours!

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

Pro tip:  If you are making a call to a call center and are on hold, put your phone on speaker and just go about your other business while you are waiting.  Don't just sit there listening to the lousy music.  It's amazing how much you can accomplish while on hold for two hours!

Oh I do...doesn't make it much less frustrating tho...