Shore Excursion Opinions Please

IndyKid

We're booked on the Caribbean Princess for a week in December on the eastern Caribbean itinerary. Aside from the day at their private beach in the Bahamas, we stop in San Juan PR , Grand Turk and Amber Cove DR. For those of you who have made port calls at these places what would you recommend as far as things to do? What excursions did you enjoy and which ones were a waste of time & money?  

Before giving an opinion, remember we live 10 miles from the beach. Princess Cays is a very nice beach. So much nicer than our local beaches. Most importantly, you can feel safe, which you don't on some So. Cal. beaches. 

Activity are prices high, which you might expect. Anything private, you have nowhere to go. If you are from Indiana, I could see where this would be a real treat to visit. There is a free buffet and the best memory was the fresh fruits. My suggestion, forget the cabanas, the fishing, and the rentals.

Princess Cays is at 24 degress N latitude. Even in December, bring and wear good sunblock! 

2 hours ago, IndyKid said:

We're booked on the Caribbean Princess for a week in December on the eastern Caribbean itinerary. Aside from the day at their private beach in the Bahamas, we stop in San Juan PR , Grand Turk and Amber Cove DR. For those of you who have made port calls at these places what would you recommend as far as things to do? What excursions did you enjoy and which ones were a waste of time & money?  

Grand Turk has a very nice beach so to us no excursion needed. Amber Cove a nice pool so would say the same.

In San Juan the fort is a nice easy walk or take ferry and than taxi to the Baccardi brewery

Are you a beach person or a city person?

My husband is scuba certified, so he does not care what the excursions are in the Caribbean as long as he can scuba, which we may have to arrange privately if the ship does not offer it.  We also like the catamaran snorkeling excursions.

The private beaches are always nice for relaxing, sun bathing, swimming, snorkeling, etc.

San Juan has a great deal to see, especially the Old City and the fort. If you would like to see a rain forest, that is also unique. Of course, Puerto Rico requires more than a one day visit.

Sometimes I book Resort for a Day (use of hotel pool, beach and lunch) if I do not like any excursions.

I took the power motor boat ride once, and all it did was mess up my hair with a lot of wind.

I went horseback riding in Grand Turk in the ocean, and I almost fell off the horse, as the saddles were flimsy.  That is one of least favorite ports for shopping or strolling.  I have toured a lot of the island and nothing stood out too much.

I have also taken the glass bottom boats and submarine rides--you stay dry and get to see the fish.

Have a great cruise!

San Juan, either a DIY walking tour of Old San Juan (El Morro is a must do), or a n excursion to the Rain Forest (El Junque).  If the ship is in port late enough, a sunset cruise on a small boat that lets you see El Morro from the sea would be nice.  There are other great excursions from San Juan, but these would be my top three.