Which city in Australia is best to live?

4 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

What a shame the list is limited to capital cities. 

We moved from Perth down to Mandurah when we retired.  We now live in a 3 bedroom shoebox (apartment) on a beautiful sea water canal.  From what I see of real estate prices across the nation, what we have and the lifestyle that comes with it would be pretty much unaffordable for all but the very wealthy in Melbourne or Sydney. 

I think my favourite capital cities would have to be Canberra or Hobart, Adelaide is a close second.  For me, Sydney is just too big and bustling but probably great for career development, Melbourne is wonderful on a cultural and sporting level but, why on earth does everyone wear black?  Brisbane and Darwin are great but too humid for me.

Now Mandurah is definitely a place I could live, a cruise buddy of ours lives there.

Our son lives just up the road in Waikiki, not too bad there either.

Unfortunately all our other kids, and other relative's live on the east coast.🙄

To bloody costly to keep coming back to visit them.😒

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Although I lived in Sydney for 20 odd years, I am definitely not a city mouse. Really enjoy our little corner of the Gold Coast and of course the weather.

However my absolute favourite place is Upper Crystal Creek NSW. Only an hour or so drive from the Gold Coast but a great get away from it all spot.

I love the Gold Coast.  But, like you, I love to getaway from the GC  to the GC Hinterland at O'Reilly's. I've driven all over northern NSW, but don't think I've been to Upper Crystal Creek.  It sounds beautiful. 

Marion, you HAVE to check Upper Crystal Creek out. We go to a lovely B&B (been there around 16 times in 5 years) with lovely views of Mt Warning and you can say good morning to the neighbour's cows when they come up to the fence. It's adults only and a maximum of 6 guests. Meals prepared by a fine dining chef. Bliss.

19 hours ago, fishtaco said:

I have lived in Perth since 1972 and I have to say I have never experienced anywhere near 26 days of rain in a single month lol I have worked "Outside" So I can confidently say your mood set your tone! 

Windy is in Summer not winter lol

I was in Perth from 3rd July to 1st August 2021. In that time there was three days with no rain. ABC reported on 21st July that in the first twenty days of August Perth had recorded its wetteest July in more than two decades with more to come and five cold fronts ie wind and rain in one week. The Swan river was running a banker,a tropical downpour one afternoon with a "river" down the middle of the mall in town, and one night at the caravan park I was in a large limb came off a gum tree onto a caravan site, luckily had been vacated that day, and I struggled with wind and rain a lot of days travelling to the hospital. Unlucky to be there at that time.

None of them now... but in the olden days ,80's , Sydney Eastern suburbs . Coogee surf club NYE Midnight Oil, CBH The Flowers (Ice House), The Church , INXS . Maranda Sunday arvo Hodo Gure's and of course The Dog then to Randiwicks . 😇 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hogbay said:

None of them now... but in the olden days ,80's , Sydney Eastern suburbs . Coogee surf club NYE Midnight Oil, CBH The Flowers (Ice House), The Church , INXS . Maranda Sunday arvo Hodo Gure's and of course The Dog then to Randiwicks . 😇 

I was a member of the Maroubra Seals. Little River Band, Cold Chisel, INXS, Mondo Rock, 'Ol 55, just to name a few.

• Like 4

On 6/28/2023 at 7:09 AM, Bubbeh said:

What a shame the list is limited to capital cities. 

We moved from Perth down to Mandurah when we retired.  We now live in a 3 bedroom shoebox (apartment) on a beautiful sea water canal.  From what I see of real estate prices across the nation, what we have and the lifestyle that comes with it would be pretty much unaffordable for all but the very wealthy in Melbourne or Sydney. 

I think my favourite capital cities would have to be Canberra or Hobart, Adelaide is a close second.  For me, Sydney is just too big and bustling but probably great for career development, Melbourne is wonderful on a cultural and sporting level but, why on earth does everyone wear black?  Brisbane and Darwin are great but too humid for me.

I think Perth may well include both Rockingham and Mandurah to be honest, same as Quins Rock or Yanchep the other way. For deliveries Mandurah and Yanchep are Metro KM,s

On 6/28/2023 at 5:18 PM, valantine80 said:

Screenshot2023-06-28at19-12-14howmanydaysdiditraininperthinjuly2021-GoogleSearch.png.1cec6c42f0822115c5f9506b7667baaa.png

Look its like this- I work outside I build roads in Perth and the weather report is ridicules, you need to take an average, 1mm of rain is almost non existent and a typical rainy day is of 10mm throughout the day, This year in June is the only year that interrupted any outside work in Perth for me for many years.

July 2021 was the year and month of my 60th so I remember it well and it wasn't particularly wet. Your experience my experience both subjective. 

13 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Oh my god the memories, I will add the Family Inn at Ryde, and the Comb and Cutter at Blacktown, saw Cold Chisel, INXS, Mental as Anything, The Church and all the others there......when I was 16yrs😇

I am a Penrith girl so the old Leagues club, Castle Hill RSL, saw Divinyls there....Cold Chisel's Last Stand, ahhh.

Love going back to Penrith, daughter and grandkids there, but here on the Mid North Coast we have beach, rainforest, rivers, vineyards, 4hrs drive to Sydney, 51/2 hrs to Brisbane, can fly to either and now Melbourne from our regional airport. 

Drive through our small country town and every car is a ute, a kelpie on the back, people wear their Akubra's down the street, I would never move back to a city and my husband has never lived anywhere else.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cheznandy said:

Oh my god the memories, I will add the Family Inn at Ryde, and the Comb and Cutter at Blacktown, saw Cold Chisel, INXS, Mental as Anything, The Church and all the others there......when I was 16yrs😇

I am a Penrith girl so the old Leagues club, Castle Hill RSL, saw Divinyls there....Cold Chisel's Last Stand, ahhh.

Love going back to Penrith, daughter and grandkids there, but here on the Mid North Coast we have beach, rainforest, rivers, vineyards, 4hrs drive to Sydney, 51/2 hrs to Brisbane, can fly to either and now Melbourne from our regional airport. 

Drive through our small country town and every car is a ute, a kelpie on the back, people wear their Akubra's down the street, I would never move back to a city and my husband has never lived anywhere else.

I saw INXS at a similar age at the Doylo. A good up n coming pub band in 1980

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 1:42 PM, ceeceeDee said:

Although I lived in Sydney for 20 odd years, I am definitely not a city mouse. Really enjoy our little corner of the Gold Coast and of course the weather.

However my absolute favourite place is Upper Crystal Creek NSW. Only an hour or so drive from the Gold Coast but a great get away from it all spot.

We lived in Sydney our whole life. We moved from Sydney to the Gold Coast in 2020. Absolutely love the lifestyle and the weather. I do love that rural places are so close. We have a motorhome and go away every month for 3-5 days. Will definitely look at Upper Crystal Creek. Thanks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fishtaco said:

I think Perth may well include both Rockingham and Mandurah to be honest, same as Quins Rock or Yanchep the other way. For deliveries Mandurah and Yanchep are Metro KM,s

I'm sorry fishtaco but I have to disagree, Mandurah is around 75 kms south of Perth and is most definitely not a suburb.  Mandurah is a stand alone City and Regional Centre and that status is enshrined in legislation.  Mandurah forms part of the Peel Region located between the Perth metropolitan area and the South West Region.  

On the other hand, Yanchep which is 56 kms north of the CBD is considered an outer coastal suburb of Perth.  In terms of Quinns Rocks, this is also considered an outer suburb of Perth and is located only 38 kms from the CBD.

I think a lot of people come to believe that we are a satellite suburb as you can get from Perth to Mandurah in just under an hour on the train and barring traffic chaos and peak periods, drive from the CBD to Mandurah in less than 90 minutes.  This is more due to the excellent public transport system and road network than anything else.  As a road builder you should take pride in that.

Edited by Bubbeh
to include the final paragraph
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 9:12 PM, fishtaco said:

Look its like this- I work outside I build roads in Perth and the weather report is ridicules, you need to take an average, 1mm of rain is almost non existent and a typical rainy day is of 10mm throughout the day, This year in June is the only year that interrupted any outside work in Perth for me for many years.

July 2021 was the year and month of my 60th so I remember it well and it wasn't particularly wet. Your experience my experience both subjective. 

Some of those falls on a daily basis may be insignificant but even 1mm will wet you if out in it.  Was still the wettest July in more than 20years with low lying ares around Swan River flooded and some precipitation on all but three days.

On 6/30/2023 at 4:12 AM, arxcards said:

I saw INXS at a similar age at the Doylo. A good up n coming pub band in 1980

We see INXS in Adrien's Night Club in Northbridge Perth 1981 and they were selling self Made recordings on Old C60/C30 cassettes! lol We thought they were called "Ink_sed" not "In Excesses" lol

Good old days lol and yes I bought the C30 it was cheaper than the C60 lol

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, fishtaco said:

We see INXS in Adrien's Night Club in Northbridge Perth 1981 and they were selling self Made recordings on Old C60/C30 cassettes! lol We thought they were called "Ink_sed" not "In Excesses" lol

Good old days lol and yes I bought the C30 it was cheaper than the C60 lol

For a while, their ID changed. When their first single came out, lots of DJs here were calling them inkses as well, so they went with InXS  on their posters for a while.

On 6/27/2023 at 6:56 PM, Bubbeh said:

Your skydiving quote is PRICELESS. I LOVE it. I'm going to use that quote. PERFECT!!!

Edited by JJK2008
added text