Costa Maya- Chaccoben ruins ?'s

Anyone been before and can guide me towards the best excursion, especially want to know the difference btwn the first and third options. How difficult is the walking? We have some older family members (70+, some fitter than others). Any tips and advice are much appreciated!

Screenshot_20230626_194747_Royal.jpg

You will find more discussion on the ports of call board for Costa Maya.

Previous thread

As described, the middle one includes the lagoon aswell as the ruins although there seems to be some debate as to whether the resort is actually open at the moment so you would need some further research on that. 

I haven’t actually done the yours but Native choice has been the independent operator of choice that has been widely recommended on CC for the last 15 years although the meeting point is outside the port and may be a problem for those that can’t walk unless you can make arrangements for pick up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pehlibaar said:

Anyone been before and can guide me towards the best excursion, especially want to know the difference btwn the first and third options. How difficult is the walking? We have some older family members (70+, some fitter than others). Any tips and advice are much appreciated!

Screenshot_20230626_194747_Royal.jpg

When are you cruising? Mom and I are doing the Exclusive drive in a couple weeks.  We will be back on July 16 and I can tell you how it went.

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Don't use RC (unless you are a Nervous Nellie).

Use this wonderful company.

Costa Maya Excursions | Activities in Costa Maya, tours and travel information (thenativechoice.com)

I totally agree.  We used them 20 years ago when they were David and Ivan and they were absolutely fantastic.  So glad to see that they're still going strong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Don't use RC (unless you are a Nervous Nellie).

Use this wonderful company.

Costa Maya Excursions | Activities in Costa Maya, tours and travel information (thenativechoice.com)

Another vote for this company.  I did the Mayan Experience which included both the Choccoben ruins and the visit to their village.  In all honesty, I think the Mayan community of Choccoben was the better part of the tour as Choccoben, the archeological site (they are both named the same) is a bit tame if you've been to Tulum and Coba  or even the ones Dzibanche & Kohunlich ruins that are a little farther out from Costa Maya.

4 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

Another vote for this company.  I did the Mayan Experience which included both the Choccoben ruins and the visit to their village.  In all honesty, I think the Mayan community of Choccoben was the better part of the tour as Choccoben, the archeological site (they are both named the same) is a bit tame if you've been to Tulum and Coba  or even the ones Dzibanche & Kohunlich ruins that are a little farther out from Costa Maya.

I loved the home visit where we made our own tortillas, and then feasted royally at lunch.

13 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I loved the home visit where we made our own tortillas, and then feasted royally at lunch.

Yeah, I was terrible at that.  The food was great, but I did notice that if you had an allergy or sensitivity, I doubt they could have accommodated very well.

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

Yeah, I was terrible at that.  The food was great, but I did notice that if you had an allergy or sensitivity, I doubt they could have accommodated very well.

That would probably depend on what the allergy was and would be best addressed in advance with the tour operator to see if it could be accommodated. 

Lots of local tours serve limited food options.

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

That would probably depend on what the allergy was and would be best addressed in advance with the tour operator to see if it could be accommodated. 

Lots of local tours serve limited food options.

I primarily looked at Gluten free and red meat free options as my wife has both those.  In our tour, she would have been stuck at the rice and beans as she wouldn't have been able to eat the chicken or the tamale (I think that was what it was).    I think that had meat in it if i remember correctly.  Fortunately, she wasn't with me for that 😁

21 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I primarily looked at Gluten free and red meat free options as my wife has both those.  In our tour, she would have been stuck at the rice and beans as she wouldn't have been able to eat the chicken or the tamale (I think that was what it was).    I think that had meat in it if i remember correctly.  Fortunately, she wasn't with me for that 😁

I understand, and that is why i would check in advance.

Not sure what tortillas you made but corn tortillas are naturally gluten free, provided no cross-contamination. Mexican food is generally easily adapted with vegetables-only option but perhaps that wasn’t possible here.

I just checked out their website and it would appear they are actually more willing than many places to accommodate:

“Lunch will consist of only traditional Maya dishes, cooked with local spices and ingredients. The recipes will be explained during your visit and you'll also have the opportunity to see and taste the ingredients and spices added to your meal. Expect a meal way beyond tacos, quesadillas and what's usually offered to tourists as Mexican food, we offer our guests the authentic flavors of the Yucatan.

The Maya diet is based mainly in vegetables but for this special occasion you'll find chicken or turkey. If you don't eat meat, let us know ahead of time and we'll have something that suits your needs, please be as specific as possible and let us know if fish and/or dairy products are acceptable.

We're also able to accommodate guests with special diets. The Maya diet doesn't regularly include wheat, barley or rye. If anyone in your party is allergic to nuts, crustaceans or gluten, just let us know, we can accommodate your needs.

Food safety is one of top priorities for this excursion. Families hosting tourists at their homes received extensive training on how to cook and handle food safely. They're also recertified by the health department every three months. The food included in this excursion is perfectly safe and the ingredients used are fresh and available for you to see and taste. We use only purified water and ice.”

Edited by c-leg5

4 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I understand, and that is why i would check in advance.

Not sure what tortillas you made but corn tortillas are naturally gluten free, provided no cross-contamination. Mexican food is generally easily adapted with vegetables-only option but perhaps that wasn’t possible here.

I just checked out their website and it would appear they are actually more willing than many places to accommodate:

“Lunch will consist of only traditional Maya dishes, cooked with local spices and ingredients. The recipes will be explained during your visit and you'll also have the opportunity to see and taste the ingredients and spices added to your meal. Expect a meal way beyond tacos, quesadillas and what's usually offered to tourists as Mexican food, we offer our guests the authentic flavors of the Yucatan.

The Maya diet is based mainly in vegetables but for this special occasion you'll find chicken or turkey. If you don't eat meat, let us know ahead of time and we'll have something that suits your needs, please be as specific as possible and let us know if fish and/or dairy products are acceptable.

We're also able to accommodate guests with special diets. The Maya diet doesn't regularly include wheat, barley or rye. If anyone in your party is allergic to nuts, crustaceans or gluten, just let us know, we can accommodate your needs.

Food safety is one of top priorities for this excursion. Families hosting tourists at their homes received extensive training on how to cook and handle food safely. They're also recertified by the health department every three months. The food included in this excursion is perfectly safe and the ingredients used are fresh and available for you to see and taste. We use only purified water and ice.”

Nice!  I was only going on personal experience.  No one in our group had any restrictions that i noticed (there was only like 5 of us).  So I did not see anything that was gluten free and meat free...because none of us asked for it.  When i booked it, i didn't look at that, because I didn't need it.  Even more reason to use these guys again.  

• Like 1

Great ruins, but over an hour on a dead straight road before the first junction (actually 45 minutes to the only bend in the road where the bus crashed a few years back).  Isn't really any better in a van, but does get out there before the buses, so you can wander around the place without the crowds.

Balancar tubing trip is also great, but 1/2 hour longer each way on same lousy road.  Would not try to go to both lagoon and ruins.  Would be a really long day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeeW said:

where the bus crashed a few years back).  

This is why I am a "nervous Nelly" and book RCCL excursions. This could happen on a RCCL excursion, of course. But they will know why I am late at least. Mom, my travel buddy, is a senior and I am getting close. It was easier to be brave with DH by my side. But since he is in a better place, I will do the best I can.

@LeeWThank you for the information.  I appreciate knowing what to expect.

On 6/27/2023 at 9:05 AM, pehlibaar said:

We leave the 24th

I will let you know about my experience with the excursion. Feel free to remind me. You could add a post to the thread on the 16th. Hopefully, I can let you know while still on the ship.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 8:16 PM, c-leg5 said:

... I haven’t actually done the yours but Native choice has been the independent operator of choice that has been widely recommended on CC for the last 15 years although the meeting point is outside the port ...

Yes, they've been discussed (in positive terms!) for a long time on these boards, and independent tours are almost always better quality than the ship's tours:  smaller groups, more choices, more interaction with your tour guide.  The lower price is just a bonus.  

On 6/28/2023 at 6:14 PM, LeeW said:

... Isn't really any better in a van, but does get out there before the buses, so you can wander around the place without the crowds ... 

The van means you're in a smaller group, which is all but a promise that you'll move faster; with a ship's excursion cattle-call style, you can only move at the speed of the slowest participant -- and someone is always making the whole group wait.  Arriving first and avoiding the crowds is worth a lot!  

One more comment:  Before you sign up for a shore excursion in Costa Maya, check your itinerary's time.  We'll only be in Costa Maya only 7:00 - 2:00, so I feel it's necessary to stay closer to the port /am unwilling to undertake an excursion that requires a drive of an hour or so.