Arriving in Canada ftom US on cruise ship for Canadian citizens

Maplemoose

We have a cruise from NY to Quebec in September. Our first Canaduan port is Halifax, a noon time arrival. What can we expect from CBSA time-wise? When we cruised into an American port of call in May from Bermuda, it took over 3 hours for everyone to clear US customs before they could get off the ship. Can we expect a similar experience entering our first Canaduan port? 

DW and I cruised Boston to Montreal a few years ago, with Halifax our first port too. There was absolutely no delay, we simply walked off the ship, then crossed Terminal Road to the Westin to pick up our rental car.

I would expect that if you clear CBSA in Halifax then you would not need to clear again in Montreal.

If there has not been a stop on the US side between Halifax and Montreal, then why would CBSA have to clear you?

Same as flying to Canada from the US.  If your first airport of arrival is Halifax, CBSA would clear you there and then on your connecting flight to Montreal, you would simply walk off the plane and out to the street.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

DW and I cruised Boston to Montreal a few years ago, with Halifax our first port too. There was absolutely no delay, we simply walked off the ship, then crossed Terminal Road to the Westin to pick up our rental car.

You did not need to fill out the Customs form??

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

You did not need to fill out the Customs form??

Yes, but in my experience, albeit limited, disembarking at a Canadian port is painless. Our first cruise entering Canada was returning to Vancouver at the end of an Alaskan sailing. Passports and Declaration Card in hand, we followed the quickly moving line until we reached a CBSA officer who was standing there taking the cards as we walked past. No questions, no need to show passports, just walk on by after handing over the card. This was so unusual that it stuck in my mind. Our Halifax entry was a year later, but other than it being quick, I don't recall the details beyond the need for a declaration card.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, but in my experience, albeit limited, disembarking at a Canadian port is painless. Our first cruise entering Canada was returning to Vancouver at the end of an Alaskan sailing. Passports and Declaration Card in hand, we followed the quickly moving line until we reached a CBSA officer who was standing there taking the cards as we walked past. No questions, no need to show passports, just walk on by after handing over the card. This was so unusual that it stuck in my mind. Our Halifax entry was a year later, but other than it being quick, I don't recall the details beyond the need for a declaration card.

Thanks  so you  still needed to  hand in your  Customs declaration  then you went on your way

On 6/27/2023 at 12:02 PM, Maplemoose said:

We have a cruise from NY to Quebec in September. Our first Canaduan port is Halifax, a noon time arrival. What can we expect from CBSA time-wise? When we cruised into an American port of call in May from Bermuda, it took over 3 hours for everyone to clear US customs before they could get off the ship. Can we expect a similar experience entering our first Canaduan port? 

I think you can use the Arrive Can app  also

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

I am sure the cruise line will give instructions before  the 1st Canadian port

At the current time, the ArriveCAN app can only be used to submit an Advance CBSA Declaration when entering Canada at certain airports. If you open the app, this is the only option available right now, although CBSA does say that "In the coming months and years, as part of the Traveller Modernization initiative, new border-related features will come online in ArriveCAN and change the border experience for the better."

Meanwhile, CBSA states the following with respect to cruise passengers:

Form E311, Declaration Card must be provided to all passengers for completion prior to the CBSA clearance. It is mandatory for all passengers to complete the Form E311, including those who have no intention of disembarking at the FPOA or subsequent ports of call. 

For full details on ship clearance procedures and passenger requirements: 

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/cscp-pdnc-eng.html 

• Like 1

HAL Process:  When you board the ship there is a Customs Declaration Card in your room, along with instructions on when and where to hand it in.  We leave ours in our stateroom for the room steward but you can turn it into Guest Services.

The ship transmits the manifest to CBSA so you are cleared electronically.  If CBSA needs to speak with you, you will be notified.  The ship has to wait to be cleared once in Halifax.  It should be a fairly quick and smooth process (unless they have to deal with any naughty people, in which case it may take a little longer).

And, then… that’s it!  You are free to disembark for the rest of the trip.  

• Like 1