Favorite foods/dishes on NCL (within the past year or two)

GORDONCHICK

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

We did have three (I think) sushi rolls, but we tried all the other food too. Lots of options, so definitely still be sure to try out Food Republic. It's really great even if you don't want sushi. IF you don't like fish (my husband) you can customize the sushi by only getting shrimp and no tuna on some of the rolls. At least, we were able to. Hopefully you can too! 

We’ve done FR a couple times on Escape and loved it. In 2019 when my mom came with us on Escape, it was her favorite because there’s so much variety, even though she doesn’t eat red meat along with a few other things that cause her stomach issues. I’m really looking forward to it on Joy! Actually I was just mentioning to DH that I was wondering if maybe we should do it for dinner the first night. I don’t like to book the other specialties the first night because I feel like we’re always a little pooped from getting to the ship and embarkation, but I’m thinking FR might be a good way to avoid the first night MDR chaos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slakko said:

We found it a great option when 1 of our 4 was up for sushi but another member of the group wouldn't really want more than 1 or 2 pieces of it.  The theme is a little more disjointed than for the other specialty dining restaurants, but you definitely don't go hungry; the 4 of us really couldn't get through more than 12 items between us and everything was good if not great. My favourite would have to be the black cod skewers.

Yeah I think in our previous experiences there on Escape, there was never anything that was bad—some items better than others, but all good! I’m hoping they’ll be cool with us just using one of our Platinum Latitudes vouchers for two there, even though we’re 3 adults and my son. The little man is 4 and there’s nothing there he will be likely to eat, so it’ll be kids’ menu for him anyway, and 8 dishes will certainly be more than enough for DH, my mom, and me. I figure worst case if they say we need to order something for the 3rd adult separately we’ll just get 9 items, because anything beyond that would just be wasteful!

5 minutes ago, Dorhead1230 said:

I’m really looking forward to it on Joy! Actually I was just mentioning to DH that I was wondering if maybe we should do it for dinner the first night. I don’t like to book the other specialties the first night because I feel like we’re always a little pooped from getting to the ship and embarkation, but I’m thinking FR might be a good way to avoid the first night MDR chaos.

Excellent idea!

I love FR!

Did lunch there last summer with my daughter and her bf on Joy. We used 1 dining credit for 4 items, and then we purchased 3 other items to supplement and we had more than enough food for lunch.

I enjoyed it so much that I just purchased the 2 dining credit upgrade just for myself so that I can do that again in 24 days on Joy with my niece and nephew.

• Like 2

I keep discussing Food Republic with people on here but not responding to the main thread topic lol. Obviously there’s some pretty great stuff in the specialties and I’m sure there is in the Haven, so I’ll comment on my favorite MDR meal from Getaway in February. To be honest, Cagney’s was pretty mid on that cruise, so this meal might have topped that for me. Based on the date on my photos, it was the night 4 menu. The jalapeño cornbread was great, and then I can’t remember exactly what kind of wontons these were, but they were pretty decent. What I was surprised I enjoyed so much was this pork belly entree. It was nice and crispy on top with a sweet glaze, the slaw had such a nice crunch, and it all went really well with the mashed sweet potatoes. Also, with a few exceptions (lava cake and chocolate layer cake 🤤), I tend to be unenthusiastic about NCL desserts, but I really enjoyed this little carrot cake that night. Surprisingly, DH was also happy with his cannoli (Italians from NY here, so we weren’t expecting miracles lol), but I didn’t try them.

39702438-2171-4357-B24F-BB43B2B7A57D.thumb.jpeg.17892d85e5a940c0f89992ae1b020728.jpegD9E072A4-3066-4C32-B876-83C1776E7706.thumb.jpeg.55ed298835dac3e18be3b015faf6caa3.jpegCB1D6495-9D64-4328-BD89-2E91D26C6132.thumb.jpeg.f1fa2bad8d0cce43da872ca532788e06.jpegB8C04DBB-1D92-45CC-957A-85596A64FC23.thumb.jpeg.cf0cdede69cc9155264fd6168861a6be.jpegB4589755-6CC9-414E-BB42-3D134A83725F.thumb.jpeg.32998515c6d493e6b881ca97b35bfb46.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frayedend said:

That pic appears to be brisket, no?  Unless it's beef ribs with the meat sliced off the bone for you (which is totally normal).  It actually looks pretty darned good for ship food.  I'm a bbq guy so I'm very particular and hadn't thought of trying bbq on a cruise ship.  But that honestly looks better than most BBQ restaurants.

You’re right.  I misspoke.  It is brisket…..and it was very good!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

We did have three (I think) sushi rolls, but we tried all the other food too. Lots of options, so definitely still be sure to try out Food Republic. It's really great even if you don't want sushi. IF you don't like fish (my husband) you can customize the sushi by only getting shrimp and no tuna on some of the rolls. At least, we were able to. Hopefully you can too! 

I love/like a lot of fish.  The seaweed wrapper is what I absolutely HATE!!!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 10:47 AM, schmoopie17 said:

Mrs. Schmoopie has it stashed away someplace. I'll try to locate it...especially now that I really want some.

I really need Mrs. Schmoopie to get on the ball with that recipe, pretty please?

7 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

I really need Mrs. Schmoopie to get on the ball with that recipe, pretty please?

Unfortunately Mrs. Schmoopie fractured her leg Saturday night and will be having surgery Wednesday and be incapacitated for a while. I thought maybe I could find it, so I asked her where it might be and she said, "it will take some digging."

So...it will be awhile and not exactly a top priority at the moment. Sorry...

Just now, schmoopie17 said:

Unfortunately Mrs. Schmoopie fractured her leg Saturday night and will be having surgery Wednesday and be incapacitated for a while. I thought maybe I could find it, so I asked her where it might be and she said, "it will take some digging."

I'm so sorry for you both.  She will be in my prayers for surgery to go great and speedy healing!

• Thanks 1

I agree with the French onion soup and escargot in Le Bistro

Had an osso bucco in La Cucina on our last cruise that was awesome 

Never eaten at Ocean Blue but we will on our next cruise in November can’t wait to try the scallops and we love Teppinyaki restaurant 

I was on the Sky in January and had the most delicious Coq au vin that I've ever had on NCL.  I love potatoes and they put in some extra for me.  The sauce was fantastic!  

At breakfast, my favorites are the croissant with orange marmalade first followed by an Eggs Benedict with extra hollandaise sauce.  For a late night snack, nothing beats a delicious Reuben.

Sailed Sky in May and the lunch buffet served the most amazing tasting Beef Bourguignon. Easily worthy of being served in Le Bistro! We all agreed it was the best we’ve ever tasted.

I wanted to take their omelette guy home with me, they were superb!
Consistently the best food we’ve had on all our NCLs

• Like 2

On 6/29/2023 at 9:13 AM, Dorhead1230 said:

I keep discussing Food Republic with people on here but not responding to the main thread topic lol. Obviously there’s some pretty great stuff in the specialties and I’m sure there is in the Haven, so I’ll comment on my favorite MDR meal from Getaway in February. To be honest, Cagney’s was pretty mid on that cruise, so this meal might have topped that for me. Based on the date on my photos, it was the night 4 menu. The jalapeño cornbread was great, and then I can’t remember exactly what kind of wontons these were, but they were pretty decent. What I was surprised I enjoyed so much was this pork belly entree. It was nice and crispy on top with a sweet glaze, the slaw had such a nice crunch, and it all went really well with the mashed sweet potatoes. Also, with a few exceptions (lava cake and chocolate layer cake 🤤), I tend to be unenthusiastic about NCL desserts, but I really enjoyed this little carrot cake that night. Surprisingly, DH was also happy with his cannoli (Italians from NY here, so we weren’t expecting miracles lol), but I didn’t try them.

39702438-2171-4357-B24F-BB43B2B7A57D.thumb.jpeg.17892d85e5a940c0f89992ae1b020728.jpegD9E072A4-3066-4C32-B876-83C1776E7706.thumb.jpeg.55ed298835dac3e18be3b015faf6caa3.jpegCB1D6495-9D64-4328-BD89-2E91D26C6132.thumb.jpeg.f1fa2bad8d0cce43da872ca532788e06.jpegB8C04DBB-1D92-45CC-957A-85596A64FC23.thumb.jpeg.cf0cdede69cc9155264fd6168861a6be.jpegB4589755-6CC9-414E-BB42-3D134A83725F.thumb.jpeg.32998515c6d493e6b881ca97b35bfb46.jpeg

So I got the pork belly on my recent cruise on the Spirit.  Never had it before.  Are you supposed to eat the whole thing, or just carve the meaty part from the fat?

9 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Been there. Done that. Four times. My best to you both.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, quack2 said:

So I got the pork belly on my recent cruise on the Spirit.  Never had it before.  Are you supposed to eat the whole thing, or just carve the meaty part from the fat?

should also have the skin, you eat it all.

Great recommendations everyone!

Surprised no one mentioned the Seven Layer Chocolate cake @Cagneys- winner for chocolate lovers.

MDR sometimes has had really good roast lamb.

When I am in vegetarian mode really appreciate the buffet salad bar + the random mixed salads they make, and usually the Indian food is good.

Edited by CruiserJ03
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CruiserJ03 said:

Surprised no one mentioned the Seven Layer Chocolate cake @Cagneys- winner for chocolate lovers.

Haha, that's because by the time I've had my appetizer, salad, bread, loaded baked potato and steak, I have no room left for dessert, LOL! 🤣

31 minutes ago, quack2 said:

I'm not sure my heart and arteries like that idea.

Don’t order it…it is DISGUSTING…lol.  I ordered once, and I wondered why our server said, oh you’re eating light tonight.  I took one bite and thought I was gonna puke.  Needless to say, I couldn’t wait for dessert.  

To each his own, I suppose, but pork belly is AMAZING, especially in Japanese, Chinese and Korean dishes. It's particularly good, in my opinion, when added to things that have little flavor, like noodles, bok choy, napa cabbage, bean sprouts, clear broth, and in pork buns. Yum!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

To each his own, I suppose, but pork belly is AMAZING, especially in Japanese, Chinese and Korean dishes. It's particularly good, in my opinion, when added to things that have little flavor, like noodles, bok choy, napa cabbage, bean sprouts, clear broth, and in pork buns. Yum!!

I ordered it on NCL based on a dish my husband had a few years ago at a Wolfgang Puck venue.  His was mixed with bok choy and some other things and I think it was called Korean BBQ pork belly.  It actually did taste delicious.  That being said, the slab of Pork Belly I got on the Breakaway was just nasty.

C15EBE11-08A4-40DD-A835-62B6394AC4E3.jpeg

Edited by laudergayle

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

I ordered it on NCL based on a dish my husband had a few years ago at a Wolfgang Puck venue.  His was mixed with bok choy and some other things and I think it was called Korean BBQ pork belly.  It actually did taste delicious.  That being said, the slab of Pork Belly I got on the Breakaway was just nasty.

C15EBE11-08A4-40DD-A835-62B6394AC4E3.jpeg

At first I thought you were crazy! Not liking pork belly. Then you provided photographic evidence. Oh my! That's far too much. The appetizer size is just fine, but for an entree..... no thank you!! Unless it's really, really, really crispy. So that most of the fat has melted out. I'm not a big pork rind person either, because I can't tolerate all that fat melting in my mouth.

Now, the below appetizer sized (compare the apple slice size to the pork) is yummy. And crispy. 

image.thumb.jpeg.05c427987450279708ef13e756a47932.jpeg

• Like 2