How to survive if you fall off a Carnival cruise ship

Eli_6

52 minutes ago, FastShip24 said:

No it's not. It's the same protocols for all cruise vessels. Is it different if I fall off NCL? Royal? Princess?

Yes, it is. It is a scientific fact that because of the unlimited bacon on those ships, if someone were to fall overboard, they will float a lot easer, resulting in different protocols.

• Haha 7

I am going to report the post myself and ask it to be taken down because I am tired of getting alerts from people incapable of scrolling past a post they don't like. It's July 4th weekend!  Have fun everyone! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I am going to report the post myself and ask it to be taken down because I am tired of getting alerts from people incapable of scrolling past a post they don't like. It's July 4th weekend!  Have fun everyone! 

No need to report it, just push it overboard.  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

No need to report it, just push it overboard.  😉

One last comment on this post

During the muster drill they tell you if someone falls overboard or jumps you should yell MAN overboard and throw them a ring. 
If it turns out to be a LADY do you yell lady overboard or MAN overboard.

Just looking for clarification on this topic. 
HAPPY JULY 4th 🇺🇸

3 hours ago, joe/jack said:

One last comment on this post

During the muster drill they tell you if someone falls overboard or jumps you should yell MAN overboard and throw them a ring. 
If it turns out to be a LADY do you yell lady overboard or MAN overboard.

Just looking for clarification on this topic. 
HAPPY JULY 4th 🇺🇸

PERSON overboard covers all situations.

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2023 at 10:43 AM, Eli_6 said:

How to survive if you fall off a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean, according to a survival expert (msn.com)

Since this seems to be a particular problem with Carnival ships, thought I would share:

1. Don't panic.  Try not to take in water into your lungs by gasping when you first hit the water.

2. Try to find anything that floats to hold on to.  

3. Try to find something to make a signal so you are more visible to rescuers. Like arranging a bunch of trash around you.

This advice is tremendously astute.  

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 6:22 PM, rolloman said:

Yeah, lost immediately, once you fall off a ship, you and the ship separate quickly due to current. It takes a today's cruise ship 10 nautical miles to do a complete turnaround. My heart does not break for any idiot who jumps off a cruise ship and if it is suicide it is a selfish way to go as you endanger many others lives who attempt to save the one you no longer want.  

But my heart does ache for those left to navigate the s**t show they left behind. 😪

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

This thread reminds me of people suing McDonalds because they served hot coffee, and nobody told them it was hot. 

This will come to a point where Carnival gets sued because they do not have warnings posted all over the ship that the possibility exists that a passenger may fall overboard. 
Then Carnival will be sued because they didn’t post survival tips in the event said passenger fell overboard. I do not mean this tongue in cheek, but do foresee a day where this becomes reality and part of the cruise contract.

DH and I have said numerous times that open balconies on Carnival will be a thing of the past. They'll put plexiglass or something up to seal off every opening so you can still the enjoy the views but can't "fall" off. Talk about cruising in a bubble...

58 minutes ago, RD64 said:

This will come to a point where Carnival gets sued because they do not have warnings posted all over the ship that the possibility exists that a passenger may fall overboard. 
Then Carnival will be sued because they didn’t post survival tips in the event said passenger fell overboard. I do not mean this tongue in cheek, but do foresee a day where this becomes reality and part of the cruise contract.

I don't think this will happen.  Suits based on a man overboard are governed by the "Death on the High Seas Act", where the plaintiff has to prove negligence, and the bar for showing that the shipping line was not negligent is if a "reasonable person" would consider the actions of the victim "imprudent".  It is very difficult to prove a case under the DOHSA.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 7/1/2023 at 1:04 PM, Eli_6 said:

I enjoyed this thread!  Thx Eli_6 for an interesting topic😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

This thread reminds me of people suing McDonalds because they served hot coffee, and nobody told them it was hot. 

Actually, McDonalds deserved to be sued. The woman got severe burns, I think 3rd degree.  McDonalds actually had memos about keeping the coffee boiling hot so that it would stay fresh longer, much hotter than would normally come out of a drip carafe.  They did this so they would not waste as much coffee and/or remake it as often.  The memos even warned about the possibility of severe burns as a result of the extreme temperature, but they decided that the cost savings on coffee was worth the risk of the severe burns.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Actually, McDonalds deserved to be sued. The woman got severe burns, I think 3rd degree.  McDonalds actually had memos about keeping the coffee boiling hot so that it would stay fresh longer, much hotter than would normally come out of a drip carafe.  They did this so they would not waste as much coffee and/or remake it as often.  The memos even warned about the possibility of severe burns as a result of the extreme temperature, but they decided that the cost savings on coffee was worth the risk of the severe burns.

I read the person placed the cup of lava hot coffee between their legs, then it spilled.  Yikes!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Thank you!  That's "the other side of the story" that my business law professor explained to us in class.  At the time, McDonald's coffee was kept at a temperature that was hotter than the norm for restaurants.  She had blistering burns on her inner thighs, and I don't think any of us expect that from a cup of coffee.   

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

Thank you!  That's "the other side of the story" that my business law professor explained to us in class.  At the time, McDonald's coffee was kept at a temperature that was hotter than the norm for restaurants.  She had blistering burns on her inner thighs, and I don't think any of us expect that from a cup of coffee.   

So, what about when they were sued because someone's kids were overweight from eating Happy Meals that the parents were buying?

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

First - am NOT saying she deserved to get burned, so please everyone no backlash on that... One may not expect coffee to be that hot, but who puts coffee between their legs? Isn't that what cup holders are for? Being in control of a heavy, fast moving vehicle, should require full attention and focus. If Driver is focused on preparing coffee in their lap, how much is left for focusing on controlling the vehicle?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

But is a cup of coffee meant to be kept between your thighs? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1