cancelled cruise due bereavement

we arrived in barcelona for a cruise the following day, in the early hours of day of cruise i got a call from home to inform me my father died suddenly, obviously i couldn't go on the cruise, we searched and got flights home.

i understand that there is no refund of cruise fare at that late stage but can i get back the prepaid gratuities and deluxe drink package we purchased, thanks for any advice

25 minutes ago, igmurray said:

we arrived in barcelona for a cruise the following day, in the early hours of day of cruise i got a call from home to inform me my father died suddenly, obviously i couldn't go on the cruise, we searched and got flights home.

i understand that there is no refund of cruise fare at that late stage but can i get back the prepaid gratuities and deluxe drink package we purchased, thanks for any advice

Yes, your taxes, port fees, pre paid gratuities and drink package are refundable. 

I’m sorry for your loss.

Do you have any travel insurance?  If so, it may cover the financial losses.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 4

So sorry for your loss.   May he Rest in Peace🙏

Fees for a no show should automatically be refunded but I would definitely call and let them know to make sure they process refund right away.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

I'm so sorry.

It's good that you have travel insurance.

Did you actually cancel the cruise or were you a no show?  Many trip insurance policies require you to actually cancel the cruise in order to for a cancellation claim to be paid.

6 minutes ago, D4 said:

I'm so sorry.

It's good that you have travel insurance.

Did you actually cancel the cruise or were you a no show?  Many trip insurance policies require you to actually cancel the cruise in order to for a cancellation claim to be paid.

and hoping that his passing wasn't due to a pre-existing condition, if in fact the insurance policy had a waiver of pre-existing condition for non-traveling family members.

• Like 1

We tried several times to cancel but not easy in early hours of a Sunday, we did leave many messages to relay, as I don't like to no show even called  my daughter and travel agent back home to pass on.i couldn't have done any more in the time we had. Not pre existing illness,  very sudden I had just downloaded 3 books the day before we left but I know how insurance companies try to riggle out

I can't even imagine the huge swing in emotions.  Super excited about a cruise and then saddened by the loss of a parent.  I'm sorry for your loss and I hope family and loved ones provide the necessary comfort during this difficult time.

We get a bit silly here on these forums (guilty!) but sometimes it's good just take a step back to appreciate the loved ones we have in our lives and the privilege we have to spoil ourselves with our love of traveling.

Edited by soremekun
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Sorry about your loss. 

For everyone,  on your edocs there's an emergency phone number to use the 24 hrs prior to sailing. Used it from Copenhagen on a Saturday to call Royal after having gotten a new passport that day,  24 hrs before boarding.  Had lost wallet with passport on Friday.  Gave them new passport number and had no trouble boarding.   It's the one phone number you take from your edocs. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Hi,

Re travel insurance, someone wrote above:

"and hoping that his passing wasn't due to a pre-existing condition, if in fact the insurance policy had a waiver of pre-existing condition for non-traveling family members."

I was under the impression pre existing condition exclusions applied to travelers canceling due to a pre existing medical condition they have. It also applies to deaths for someone that is not booked but is the cause of the cancelation?

Thnx.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redwave said:

I was under the impression pre existing condition exclusions applied to travelers canceling due to a pre existing medical condition they have. It also applies to deaths for someone that is not booked but is the cause of the cancelation?

Depends on the contract. I have pre-existing conditions that are "controlled", so they don't count in my policy.

On 6/30/2023 at 5:47 AM, igmurray said:

thank you i have insurance and awaiting what they will cover

will the fees grats etc automatically go back on my credit card or will i have to claim

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Your insurance company is going to ask to see what RCI did not return. When we had to cancel a person off our cruise in June our TA got us a letter from RCI that spelled out precisely what the costs were, what was returned, and what they did not return. It helped speed up our payment and we had the insurance money in our account within 2 weeks.

May your Father's memory always be a blessing to you and your family.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2023 at 10:01 PM, klfrodo said:

and hoping that his passing wasn't due to a pre-existing condition, if in fact the insurance policy had a waiver of pre-existing condition for non-traveling family members.

I do not think you are correct on this.  The pre-existing condition refers to the cruise passengers who take out the insurance, not the loved ones at home who passed away.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jt4428 said:

I do not think you are correct on this.  The pre-existing condition refers to the cruise passengers who take out the insurance, not the loved ones at home who passed away.  

I'm pretty sure that you are correct. I never heard of it pertaining to the deceased.

• Like 2

Sadly the very same thing happened to us. My mother in law died very suddenly when we were due to board a ship. When I eventually spoke to RCL they were wonderful. They refunded the port fees and taxes and all excursions we had booked. They sent us a confirmation invoice showing exactly what was refunded. We were able to submit that and the death certificate to our insurance company and they refunded the remaining amount. I am sorry for your loss, I hope in time your memories of your father will bring you comfort. 

• Like 2

On 6/30/2023 at 5:47 AM, igmurray said:

thank you i have insurance and awaiting what they will cover

will the fees grats etc automatically go back on my credit card or will i have to claim

We cancelled a cruise a few years ago about a week before the sail date due to a death in the family.  We had cruise insurance and it covered everything, including the full cruise fare.

we have received full refund for taxes port fees back via TA

Got full refund for drinks package on to my credit card that i paid them seprately

still waiting on insurance due to covid they are busy and they are prioritising 

we only claimed for the 2 big things, flights home at last minute and cruise, so many other things we could have claimed for but i will be happy if they pay that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

🤔

I'm just wondering.  My great grandmother died while her daughter, my grandmother, was on a cruise and she wasn't told until after the cruise.  I've often wondered about that and wonder what others think.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, moposh said:

@igmurray would you have rather not been told about your father's death until after the cruise?  Just curious. 

Back in the early 90's, my grandmother was in bad shape. Alzheimer's had long taken the person, and her body was finally giving up (but my god she had a death grip). Her 3 kids (one my dad), and their spouses went on a 5(?) week trip. Might have had a river cruise component, might have been all land, but anyway, they left instructions that if grandma passed, to just have the center put her on ice until they got back and not to bother letting them know. I think one of my cousins contacted her dad anyway, but they didn't alter their plans. 

I realize it's not quite the same as a parent dying unexpected.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moposh said:

@igmurray would you have rather not been told about your father's death until after the cruise?  Just curious. 

I would be interested to know.

We cruise often and we are always asked if we would like to be told.  It’s a worry for our family as both our parents are still living but up there in years.

I never know what to answer.  I usually say it depends on the circumstances.  If we are already on the cruise it is difficult to get home from there.