CLOTHES FOR FALL CRUISE

shiny1

we’re sailing the end of September on a New England cruise and wondered if anyone has any suggestions on what type of clothes might be needed?!

Ports are Boston, New Port, Bar Harbor, Halifax & St. John. Thanks for any tips. 

We've done that cruise a number of times, and will do so again next September.

We are typically long pants people, but some will board in shorts no matter what.  Layers are my key. I might start the day in a short-sleeve top, covered with a long-sleeve, and if it's cold in the morning, a fleece or rain jacket. That day could be warm and sunny a few hours later, although I would be unlikely to be down to just the lightest shirt (but that's me).

I do not expect to be packing my winter jacket, but quite possibly a jacket that is a step heavier than a fleece.

Comfortable walking shoes are a must!  All those ports are great for doing on your own.

• Like 1

Good advice above.  I like to be out in all kinds of weather, so always pack a long raincoat with a hood which I charmingly wear with a baseball cap ... to keep the wet hair out of my eyes . Shoes that can stand up to being wet all day and still look decent when they're dried out.

• Like 2

I might also mention that onboard in the evening, people seem less likely to wear sundresses or Hawaiian shirts, but more an urban look, partly due to cooler weather out on deck, and partly because it is just a different vibe.

Hi, I have sailed this itinerary before although it was in Oct/Nov.  I will suggest checking the weather within about 10 days before you leave and then you can know first hand what the temps will be like. On my sailing in particular, it was COLD out with winds too. I was in long sleeves/long pants all the time.

Maybe in Sept it will be warmer. But another suggestion is to layer. I sailed last year and one of my memories is how cold it was and I was supposed to take a walking tour but couldn't do it. I got off the gangway and after walking about 20 feet, I told myself the winds were just too much........I went back to the ship. I had layered but not enough to keep warm enough for a windy walking tour. I should have brought another jacket with me......

• Like 1

I'm doing a similar cruise (NYC-Quebec) except it's at the beginning of September.  I will be checking the weather for sure because I expect to still have some pretty warm weather and some cooler.  I'm going to have to pack a wide variety because we will have a week in Maine after a few days in Quebec City.  One night in NYC, cruise is 9 nights, 2 nights in Quebec City, 7 nights in Maine = complicated packing!

These are my musts:

Comfortable walking shoes - sandals and waterproof walkers

packable rain jacket

thin long sleeve jacket

maybe a sweatshirt 

11 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

I'm doing a similar cruise (NYC-Quebec) except it's at the beginning of September.  I will be checking the weather for sure because I expect to still have some pretty warm weather and some cooler.  I'm going to have to pack a wide variety because we will have a week in Maine after a few days in Quebec City.  One night in NYC, cruise is 9 nights, 2 nights in Quebec City, 7 nights in Maine = complicated packing!

These are my musts:

Comfortable walking shoes - sandals and waterproof walkers

packable rain jacket

thin long sleeve jacket

maybe a sweatshirt 

Buy a hoodie in Maine 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I choose fleece, or wool or cashmere, as my warm layers, rather than a cotton sweatshirt/hoodie, as they are less bulky for packing, and they dry better if they get damp.

Agree!  I've never travelled with jeans or sweatshirts.  I like to look a little more presentable ...and keeping them clean and dry is a real problem.  

• Like 2