Formal night on Disney cruises

grannyshell

We're just back from a week on the Fantasy, our first Disney cruise. While I was expecting the kids to be dressed up in their favorite prince/princess costumes and the adults dressing a little nicer than cruise casual, I was surprised to see how many adults dressed very formally. Sure, there were guys in shorts and polo shirts and women in slacks which was fine....but if you are hesitant about being too over the top, don't be. If you enjoy going all-out, you'll be in good company.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Isn't it girls in princess costumes and boys in pirate outfits?

Only on pirate day! There was a little guy in Bibbidi Bobbidy Boutique while we were there, getting an an amazing prince costume with a beautiful cape.

• 3 weeks later...

We like dressing up on formal night as we have a lot of chances to do it at home. Unfortunately Disney doesn’t really enforce their rules I’ve seen cut offs and t-shirts with A/C on the front the next night it was Led Zeppelin pretty funny seeing their table mates in suit jackets and dresses.   

Due to the shortened length of most Disney cruises, either 3 or 4 nights, and because of Disneys rotational dining most cruisers mainly wear neat cruise casual clothing. Disney wants you to immerse yourself in the ambiance of the dining hall for its entertainment value. 
I believe on Disneys 7 night cruises they have at least 1 formally announced dress up night or maybe 2. 
Personally I will go cruise casual most nights but on at least 1 night I’ll put on a sports jacket, khakis, and a button down shirt (no suit). This what I call my picture night. 

• 3 months later...

LOL if I put on long pants, that's me dressing up.   Being in Florida my attire is usually shorts and a t-shirt and my open toed sandals.

(that being said, generally on a "formal" night - I will choose other dining options and not subject my table mates to my lack of participation in their fun)

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter and I wore matching Disney dresses and ears several nights on our DCL cruises. We had great fun with it! I never pay much mind to what anyone else is wearing, they are allowed to have whatever experience they want. For me, for the cost and for the purpose of being on a Disney cruise, we want to have fun with all of it!

• Like 1

Important to realize that on Disney, all of these dress up events are fully optional. There is no need to brag to us how you're proud to wear shorts. It's entirely acceptable to wear shorts on Disney - every day and every night.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2023 at 1:14 PM, angelsfort said:

LOL if I put on long pants, that's me dressing up.   Being in Florida my attire is usually shorts and a t-shirt and my open toed sandals.

(that being said, generally on a "formal" night - I will choose other dining options and not subject my table mates to my lack of participation in their fun)

Don't do that. there's no reason to punish yourself. Formal night has become much less formal over the years. Sure there are some guests who will still dress up, but many don't. why deprive yourself? 

• Like 2