Koningsdam Inside Passage review: June 24-July 1, 2023

QuattroRomeo

49 minutes ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Sorry to hear that, Sue! It's always a disappointment to be ill on vacation. Glad they took care of you! I see many of your cruises are on non-Pinnacle ships. Do you enjoy them as much ? Or is it difficult to compare with the circumstances of this last one?!

I’ve enjoyed them all!

• Like 1

There were times that the Dutch Cafe was painfully slow. I found Ewelina to be the best server there but she couldn't do everything! When the lineup went down the hall to the Photo Gallery and I needed my latte, I hoofed it up to Explorations Cafe instead! This is deck 12 forward, so you need to get to the forward elevator. This cafe has faster service but limited offerings as far as food goes, usually just a few biscotti. They do have coffees in regular and large sizes, though, whereas the Dutch only offers regular. (Can you tell I like coffee)? The showcase up there has tinned water and pop for sale, and Tazo tea. Explorations Cafe does not have the "1873 coffee" though, the signature HAL brand that the Dutch Cafe makes the excellent drip coffee from. (Also made in the Pinnacle Grill but only if you eat there).

One thing that they advertise but don't actually sell is the lb. Bag of 1873 coffee. I asked Ewelina and she said they don't have it programmed to ring in...! 

• Like 2

Since we are looking on deck 12 for the Explorations Cafe, opposite it now is the Shore Excursions area, It used to be a nice sitting area with chairs by the unobstructed windows- ideal for scenic viewing like that in Glacier Bay. To the right used to be the very small library. It seems like a poor place for shore excursion information and booking- not very convenient. 

20230630_132731.jpg

20230630_132753.jpg

20230630_132804.jpg

20230630_132817.jpg

20230630_132831.jpg

20230630_132849.jpg

20230630_140130.jpg

I agree about the Shore Excursion desk placement!  So inconvenient and the hours were too short on my last Rotterdam cruise.  I had changes on a couple of excursions and never could get in touch with them since they didn't have phone or online service.  "They" really need to move it to a space near the guest services in the center of the ship and return the Crow's Nest space to its original use!!

My 2 cents!

~Nancy

• Like 1

More Orange room goodies: Breakfast buttermilk pancakes; Gold Rush Soup, Seafood Devilled Eggs, Salmon with Alaskan Amber Beer Bearnaise, Cod Caponata a la Normande, Chocolate Whiskey Torte. All very nice, although the torte was a little short on whiskey..

20230626_111435.jpg

20230626_192215.jpg

20230626_192226.jpg

20230626_193414.jpg

20230626_193421.jpg

20230626_195127.jpg

• Like 4

Orange continued: French Onion Soup; Smoked Salmon Trio (DH loved it); Veal Cutlet  very nice); Crab Fettucine (the Special, pretty good); the world's worst plating of dessert called Mango Mousse Terrine- it was very tasty though; Baked Alaska; and a breakfast dish called Hearty Ham & Cheese Skillet- usually this is really good, but they forgot the ham!!!

20230627_202344.jpg

20230627_203224.jpg

20230627_204612.jpg

20230627_204619.jpg

20230627_210940.jpg

20230627_210953.jpg

20230628_111431.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I think the picture is the veal chop not the cutlet.

That is the exactly what my husband’s “veal cutlet” looked like in CO on the Rotterdam. He said it was better than the steak he had in the Pinnacle.

@QuattroRomeo Thank you for your review and the photos.

32 minutes ago, 0106 said:

That is the exactly what my husband’s “veal cutlet” looked like in CO on the Rotterdam. He said it was better than the steak he had in the Pinnacle.

@QuattroRomeo Thank you for your review and the photos.

Maybe that’s what they are calling a veal cutlet but I’ve yet to see a cutlet that thick with a bone 🤣.  

• Like 1

I don’t know why they’re calling it a cutlet.  I almost passed it by on the Nieuw Statendam because I don’t like cutlets.  But then I recalled a post by someone… I think it was @Florida_gal_50… which said it was actually a chop.  So I asked our server and he said it was the chop so I ordered it.  It was delicious!  When your passengers recognize the difference between a cutlet and a chop, and you don’t, you have a problem in the kitchen.

Pretty disappointed with what they’ve done in the Crow’s Nest.  I don’t know why I keep thinking “Well… it can’t get any worse.”  😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, horseymike said:

Great running review..... was the coffee at Explorations cafe good ?

Yes, Mike very good coffees, lattes etc and service. One barista told me she was hoping to get the 1873 Rotterdam beans up there for the drip coffee, too, which should have been there all along in my opinion!! If you're in a forward-located cabin this is the place to routinely go.

• Like 2