Solo on Princess?

latebuyer

• 3 weeks later...

My last solo cruise with Princess was on the Island for September 2022. I  don't remember any staff member showing up at any of the solo meetings (which was listed on the daily program). There were about 10 solos who showed up on a regular basis; most of them were finishing up their 2nd cruise on a B2B cruise, so they were pretty comfortable with one another.  I  usually ate dinner with one or a few and hiked together on port days (we went to Iceland). The majority of the solos were in their 60s & 70s. As usual, the women outnumbered the men 6:1.

In regards to the Island,  I don't recall much about the food & dining experience other than there were long waits for dinner at the MDR & the staff was flustered.  It got better once I figured out how to use the Medallion app (which had given me a lot of trouble for several days). I won't return to the Island unless there is a great itinerary with a commensurately great fare.  The ship is  showing its age,  as there had been a plumbing problem in my cabin that I had not caused.  The Island had also been my very first Princess cruise ship & that was in 2004! 

I'm returning to Princess for 2 Caribbean cruises in late January (check my signature for details) - first the Sky then the Caribbean (fingers crossed as the Caribbean is the Island's sister ship).

Most of my solo cruising has been with Norwegian.  The kitchens at Norwegian may be a touch below Princess but they take better care of their solo travelers. There's still variation, however,  depending on the activities staffer who had been assigned to head the solo traveler meetings. I've been on 8 NCL cruises - 2 fantastic staffers,  2 duds, and the rest were acceptable. 

Edited by Wanderlust2018
Typo
  • Like 3

I've been on the Island once and Caribbean twice I did not care for the Island it seemed more crowded and I also had problems with the shower flooding.  And there is no IC on board.  I believe you will be okay on the CB she is a lot better than the island, although I prefer the royal class I will be on the sky in January.  Did you get less than 200 percent on your bookings I did for January 6th sky.

Princess has been having sailings less than double on some sailings but you have to search for them.  As far as the CB is concerned I will probably sail on her again since she is spending next fall and winter based out of port Canaveral and I only live two and a half ours away.😀

• 1 month later...

Princess is broadening their demographic, and I was surprised to watch several videos claiming it's popular with families. Their new Sun is furthering that, with rides for the first time. They also have deck parties and line dancing (Love Boat party) that a line like HAL wouldn't do. For solos, Princess is also the easiest line to get the highest status on, since they allow it based on number of cruises and give double credit for solos. Even 5 cruises gets you Platinum, which gives half-off wifi and an upgrade to 100% FCC vacation insurance for any cancellation reason. Elite is only 15 cruises, and gets you a minibar setup and free laundry. They also offer a dozen or so 2-4 night cruises relocating for the Alaska season, and I live in Washington state, so I was able to get to Elite status with under 40 nights of cruising, whereas on HAL I have over 100 nights and I'm still at 3-star. My Princess Elite also transfers to Virgin and MSC. Up until now, Princess has been really proactive with reduced solo prices, and I went to 14 nights earlier this month to the Med for $590, almost the same as the double price. Unfortunately, I don't see any big solo discounts going forward, but at least their website makes it easy to search for solo bargains. 

• Like 3

Welcome to Princess Elite solo, boy are we few and far between. I've been cruising Princess solo for well over 20 years rarely if ever said a word about the Princess solo experience because it was one the best kept secrets in the cruising industry. 

Princess solo, it's not just like my second home it is my second home. 

Except I had to do 15 cruises😎🌟😎🌟 to reach Elite😃.

In 2013 I got off a 10 day sailing on the Emerald Princess my 5th cruise on that awesome ship swore I would never take another 10 day cruise and haven't. Since then I have taken 5 more cruises all 14 days, the only way I would ever do 14 days again especially being Elite now is if I coupled it with another sailing. The Princess cruise deals for solos are getting better and better. 

The only thing I worry about cruising Princess post pandemic and post every other mountain of BS, if Princess is keeping up and maintaining the same level of service they did pre pandemic. I hope the cut backs, staff, food quality and so on don't deviate from the awesome level of Princess personal service that we all knew and loved. 

40 minutes ago, jbinpa said:

I’m going solo on Diamond Princess in Japan next July. I’ve solo cruised before and my itinerary is pretty port-heavy, but I hope there will be some solo cruiser events to meet people.

Sounds like a great cruise. Hopefully they're will be other solos on board you can meet.

If not your going to have a wonderful time regardless. Especially solo. 

Please come back and give us a review. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a 68 year-old gay man and went on my first-ever cruise in October on The Emerald travelling solo to Canada/New England because my husband no longer wants to travel.  I loved it and am taking a 14-day b2b solo trip to Alaska on The Sapphire in May.  I know there were solo meet-ups but I skipped them because they were at the same time as the LGTBQ meet up.  I met a few guys who I saw here and there around the ship and in port over the course of the trip.  The interactions were pleasant but not substantial.  But these fleeting conversations did add to my enjoyment of the trip.  

Eating:  I am very comfortable eating alone in restaurants and had fine service as a solo in both the MDRs and specialty restaurants.  I never asked to be seated with others.  I found the Buffet less comfortable and harder to manage.  I loved the International Cafe.  Seating in that area was sometimes tight but I always found an empty table in the Piazza or the adjoining bar.  

Bars:  I enjoyed having my drinks and listening to the music in the bars but did feel a bit self-conscious.  I never noticed anybody else sitting alone.  

Wi-fi:  Having my cell phone available really enhanced my trip.  I remained in frequent contact by e-mail, text, and FB with my husband and many friends at home.  I felt that I was sharing my trip and really enjoyed this aspect of the experience.  

• Like 4

Congratulations on your solo trip.👍

I've cruised the Emerald Princess on 5 separate occasions solo. I was trying to keep it a secret how awesome it is to cruise Princess solo especially the Emerald Princess. 

Nice isn't it!!!🌟🌟🌟🌟

Straight, gay, male or female all couples though. 

Very few singles on Princess Cruise ships I certainly hope it stays that way, but it's not though. Everybody's catching on. Princess is AWESOME solo. Glad you enjoyed your trip. Have fun on your next sailing. 🤜🤛

• 2 weeks later...

I booked my first solo princess cruise! I'm sailing on the sapphire princess may 25 pacific coastal. Single supplement but price is good. I sailed on royal caribbean and there was a couch in the room. The princess inside appears to just have a desk and bed. Are they as small as they look?

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 10:42 PM, latebuyer said:

I booked my first solo princess cruise! I'm sailing on the sapphire princess may 25 pacific coastal. Single supplement but price is good. I sailed on royal caribbean and there was a couch in the room. The princess inside appears to just have a desk and bed. Are they as small as they look?

they are small that's why I get a deluxe balcony even the regular balconies only have a desk chair nothing else to sit on.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 7:44 PM, LRY229 said:

I’m interested in the answers you get. I’ve been on several Princess cruises but have my 1st solo with them in Nov. and it’s 11 nights. 

Thinkin of booking Princess solo mid April out of Ft Lauderdale or perhaps NCL out of Miami.

On 7/6/2023 at 9:10 PM, MaryMc19 said:

I just sailed solo for the first time on the Regal Princess to the Eastern Caribbean. There was a solo get together every night set up by the cruise staff. We met for drinks and then whoever wanted to continued to dinner. We dined with 8-12 every night. I too was worried about having to eat alone, but that was not a problem. 

Good to hear as I plan on a solo cruise mid April out of Ft Lauderdale!

I’m wondering if other people who sailed on princess had better luck reserving a table for sharing or just showing up and requesting it. It doesn’t sound like the solo meetup works out for everyone.

3 hours ago, samsnj said:

Thinkin of booking Princess solo mid April out of Ft Lauderdale or perhaps NCL out of Miami.

I loved sailing solo on Princess.  Never went to any of the solo meet ups (never looked for them)  We had a large rollcall here and on the other page we can't mention.  There were honestly about 25 solos - some of us met up for dinner, trivia, etc.  In fact 3 of us booked (separate cabins) for the Sun T/A in Sept.  The service was always great.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

47 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I’m wondering if other people who sailed on princess had better luck reserving a table for sharing or just showing up and requesting it. It doesn’t sound like the solo meetup works out for everyone.

A couple times, I just showed up whenever I wanted to eat and said I would share.  No issues at all.  I was also able to reserve a table (alone or shared) in the app.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LRY229 said:

I loved sailing solo on Princess.  Never went to any of the solo meet ups (never looked for them)  We had a large rollcall here and on the other page we can't mention.  There were honestly about 25 solos - some of us met up for dinner, trivia, etc.  In fact 3 of us booked (separate cabins) for the Sun T/A in Sept.  The service was always great.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Guess I will go!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again everyone! .

I booked Enchanted Princess  about a year ago.  

I was looking on line (Princess.com) thinking if I were to book now what kind of sale/deals would they have. The cruise was showing **SOLD OUT** I have not seen that in awhile for any of the cruises I have booked. 

I did not have a stateroom assigned to me. I got princess to choose for me. They could have stuffed me in a room the size of a closet and I would not have cared. 😄  I checked my princess app and I have been assigned a stateroom that is wheel chair accessible. I was not expecting that! 

I am so excited! will not be long now! 🎉🥳✈️🏨🚢 

On 12/13/2023 at 3:01 PM, TTEllis said:

I've cruised the Emerald Princess on 5 separate occasions solo. I was trying to keep it a secret how awesome it is to cruise Princess solo especially the Emerald Princess. 

Everybody's catching on. Princess is AWESOME solo. 

I just spent 21 nights as a solo cruiser - 7 nights on Sky and 14 nights on Caribbean. 

I am very curious about your solo experience on Princess. What made Princess "awesome" for you as a solo?

Last month I did a 17-day solo cruise to Hawaii in a balcony cabin aboard the HAL Koningsdam.  I'm quite an introvert, so I was worried about the crowds.  The usual worries.  Not a problem.  I never had a problem getting a table for myself.  After breakfast, I'd find a comfy seat by a window in one of the many bars that didn't start serving until later in the day.  With a book, no one can possibly be bored.  When lounges were busier, I'd go back to my room and enjoy the view from my balcony.  I enjoyed exploring the ship, especially when the crowds streamed off the boat for excursions.  It was a great opportunity to find prime viewing spots of the ports from up high, and the buffet had no lines!  It was a wonderful experience.

I'm going to repeat the same itinerary aboard the Ruby Princess at the end of this year (my first Princess experience).  I'm hoping it will be just as pleasant.  Yes, it is expensive to cruise solo on premium cruise lines, but the beauty of the ocean and ships keeps me coming back!

• Like 3

On 2/20/2024 at 11:10 PM, Wanderlust2018 said:

I just spent 21 nights as a solo cruiser - 7 nights on Sky and 14 nights on Caribbean. 

I am very curious about your solo experience on Princess. What made Princess "awesome" for you as a solo?

Sorry for the delayed response you asked alot of question. I certainly hope this post satisfies your curiosity.

Here goes it. 

First and foremost if your going to travel and have lots of fun, you better know how to do it. Especially solo.

I've been doing everything solo for decades when it comes to travelling. I have the time of my life I'm a PRO. An OLD PRO.

Princess NO KIDS, July 4th 1997 I got on the largest cruise ship in the world at the time the Carnival Destiny. 600 unattended children several hundred from Brazil. Brand new ship at the time, total POS ship though. There were so many kids the jacuzzi's poolside had to be shut down twice because they were so full of soft serve ice cream. Fight in the disco. Last Carnival Cruise. 

I don't and never had any children and have absolutely no desire to babysit, hangout with, spend a couple of weeks on MY VACATION with anyone else's children.

Princess NO KIDS, I was on the Emerald Princess in 2013 for 10 days(my last 10 day cruise). I saw a mother pushing a baby stroller get read the absolute "riot act" by a handful of old ladies playing cards on Lido Deck for bringing a baby onboard.

I saw this lady pick her baby up out of the stroller and run away, never saw her again the remainder of the cruise NICE!!

First night on the ship KNOWING AHEAD OF TIME, I'm solo and I enjoy having dinner many nights by myself.

There are a very limited number of 2-top tables, first night I walk in the Michaegelo dining room and meet the Maitre'd I give him a $100 bill. 

While your sitting with someone that sucks or you have absolutely no interest in sitting with much less having dinner with in a lovely dining room on an awesome cruise ship, I'm sitting at a table by myself drinking Belvedere Martini's eating shrimp cocktail. While your standing outside the MDR waiting with everyone else for a table, yep I'm sitting at my own table pounding Belvedere Martini's. 

Pool Decks never ever a problem on Princess getting a nice deck chair, I take care of my poolside waiters I never have to do anything except have fun and do whatever I want to do. 

The bars on Princess Cruise Ship's are unparalleled, I'm not even going to get started on that other than to say Adagio on the Emerald Princess is one of my favorite bars anywhere. 

If you do Princess solo and you don't have a good time, chances are it's not Princess fault. RCCL everybody has there noses buried up each other's ass, worst vibe ever, and too many crummy kids.

Didn't have a good time on Princess it's Princess fault? Anyone looking to be spoon fed on a Princess Cruise because your solo, NCL might be more suited for you. I certainly hope I satisfied your curiosity. I could go on and on about how wonderful Princess is solo as far as I'm concerned on every cruise I take I hope I'm the only solo cruiser on the ship. Later 

You all let me know when your ready for Part 2, on why cruising Princess Cruise Lines solo is so AWESOME!!

Le'me know I'll give you Part 2.🤜🤛

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I certainly hope Part 1 gave you a little hint on how AWESOME Princess Cruises is.