Car rental Skagway

surgie

July 2024 - I know it's too early for my dates to book a rental car but just checking on prices for a random date next June. We previously rented an SUV from Avis in Skagway in 2016 very close to the port. When I attempt to book a reservation there the message on the Avis site says the location is closed. Is that accurate? If so where else can an SUV or minivan be rented? Not interested in Turo. 

We rented a Ford Explorer from Ann @ Drive About Car Rental. It's a small company with only 5 vehicles, but very nicely maintained and they drop off the car right at the closest parking area to your cruise ship dock. We found the prices to be very competitive and had an awesome time driving to the Yukon and Emerald Lake. Their url is: drive-about.com . Hope this helps.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chazzinator8 said:

We rented a Ford Explorer from Ann @ Drive About Car Rental. It's a small company with only 5 vehicles, but very nicely maintained and they drop off the car right at the closest parking area to your cruise ship dock. We found the prices to be very competitive and had an awesome time driving to the Yukon and Emerald Lake. Their url is: drive-about.com . Hope this helps.

That's exactly what we want to do with 11 people so I'll check what they have - thanks.

We rented an older Honda Odyssey from Ann at Drive About.  It was fine.  One tip, we had a heck of a time finding where she had left it for us.  The ship was scheduled to dock at the Ore Dock.  There was a change that neither Ann nor us were aware of.  The directions she sent made no sense and we were getting very frustrated, and we she must have thought we were idiots, because we couldn't find it.  Once Ann realized we must be at the Broadway Pier she was able to guide us to the car..  They are docks are close together, but we had an unplanned, pretty fair walk to find the car.  

Ann was unhappy that the local port people didn't let her know of the change and we would have appreciated it if Carnival had told us.  

It was a rough start of what was otherwise a phenomenal day.  We will use Ann again, but we will make sure she and we know what dock we're at.  😀

6 hours ago, surgie said:

July 2024 - I know it's too early for my dates to book a rental car but just checking on prices for a random date next June. We previously rented an SUV from Avis in Skagway in 2016 very close to the port. When I attempt to book a reservation there the message on the Avis site says the location is closed. Is that accurate? If so where else can an SUV or minivan be rented? Not interested in Turo. 

It's not closed, it's just too far out to book.  I'm having the same problem and have the Avis website saved so I can keep checking.  If you put in an earlier date it does show availability, so it appears they aren't truly closed and the website has a glitch with the message.  

We rented a Jeep back in 2012 from Green Jeeps which I believe is now called DIY Jeep Tours (google their website).  If we aren't successful with the Avis rental then I plan to rent from DIY again.  

32 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

It's not closed, it's just too far out to book.  I'm having the same problem and have the Avis website saved so I can keep checking.  If you put in an earlier date it does show availability, so it appears they aren't truly closed and the website has a glitch with the message.  

We rented a Jeep back in 2012 from Green Jeeps which I believe is now called DIY Jeep Tours (google their website).  If we aren't successful with the Avis rental then I plan to rent from DIY again.  

We booked through Hertz several years ago. I don't know if they still have an office there or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

It's not closed, it's just too far out to book.  I'm having the same problem and have the Avis website saved so I can keep checking.  

We booked through Avis in 2016 and they were great. I (foolishly) declined the windshield insurance since I had never heard of it and sure enough I got a big ding in the windshield. All I could think of was an expensive replacement but they said they could fix it locally and only charged me $50.