How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

32 minutes ago, waldorf said:

Being told I can use the grill on the deck if I’m not appropriately dressed isn’t a selling point.

I hope you meant "...isn't a selling point if they want my business."  There's yet another part of the cruising public for whom it is a selling point.

Meanwhile, we can recommend Regent, another good line with a somewhat more lax set of evening dress requirements.

Edited by canderson
typoz - I hate fone keybords!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bitob said:

There is no dress code whatsoever on this ship

jeans and sweatshirts in dining venues and after 6 pm everywhere 

Gosh I hope that sticks for the Med next Summer. Albeit no sweatshirt 😊

1 minute ago, tinaincc said:

Gosh I hope that sticks for the Med next Summer. Albeit no sweatshirt 😊

To be more clear - I love a cruise in a warm climate where linen pants and tops reign supreme without a blazer in sight. I realize that I can still enjoy Silversea but be relegated to certain restaurants on certain days. Oh well, I’ll enjoy either way.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, waldorf said:

I had a tour of a Silversea ship this week and asked about the dress code, I was told there is typically one formal night every 7 days, tux or suit with tie required for the Main dining room, Informal nights were no tie is required and Casual trousers & shirt. No jeans or shorts. They said you can use the grill if this doesn’t suit!

I’d like to try Silversea but I’ll be giving it a miss until their dress code is relaxed. Being told I can use the grill on the deck if I’m not appropriately dressed isn’t a selling point. When Silversea joins the 21st century I’ll give them a try. 

If I had known that there would be two formal nights (plus several "informal" men wear jackets nights) on our 11-day cruise, I probably wouldn't have booked it.  One costume party is enough.  I did book the Italian restaurant for the two nights (one night is waitlisted, however, showing there are likely a few others who are not interested in dressing to the nines), so all will work out in the end.  We'll see.  I have only myself to blame for not having researched the topic before booking.  Everything else about Silversea sounds fabulous.  I am still looking forward to it and I'm sure we'll have a great time in Canada.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Am planning on upping my sartorial standards for the next cruise:

shopping-1.jpeg

Now you will have me searching for a similiar outfit. However don't think I am going to find it here in Queensland,

Of course even if i do I know it won't be packed for our cruises.😔

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, drron29 said:

Now you will have me searching for a similiar outfit. However don't think I am going to find it here in Queensland,

Of course even if i do I know it won't be packed for our cruises.😔

Scratch that idea I have found my perfect shirt for formal nights.

ss32.thumb.webp.6fb9aa2f212a0c34defe0d39a04eb3b0.webp

😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

The problem as I see it is that the cruising public does not know what to expect on ss— at least on this ship 

make a rule

enforce it

or don’t have rules at all

that’s what competent leadership does 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, RonWL said:

If I had known that there would be two formal nights (plus several "informal" men wear jackets nights) on our 11-day cruise, I probably wouldn't have booked it.  One costume party is enough.  I did book the Italian restaurant for the two nights (one night is waitlisted, however, showing there are likely a few others who are not interested in dressing to the nines), so all will work out in the end.  We'll see.  I have only myself to blame for not having researched the topic before booking.  Everything else about Silversea sounds fabulous.  I am still looking forward to it and I'm sure we'll have a great time in Canada.

I've never heard of Silversea throwing a costume party before.  Are you cruising over Halloween?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, RonWL said:

I don't expect very many people to be "dressed to the nines".  That's based on this thread, and people's description of actual dress on the ship. Not more formal that same people want.

I just spent 45 minutes with the Guest Relations Manager to discuss some concerns I have. He is going to review with hotel manager today 

he said there were many comments about the utter lack of enforcement of the dress code on this cruise. He agreed that if you have a dress code enforce it or don’t have one at all 

will be interesting to see if anything changes 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

I don't expect very many people to be "dressed to the nines".  That's based on this thread, and people's description of actual dress on the ship. Not more formal that same people want.

Those in very formal dress are almost invisible. Might reflect the itinerary. 

6 minutes ago, david63 said:

Just have to hope that he does not go for the latter

I doubt it but there needs to be consistency and the current situation is a hot mess   I think the folks most offended are the ones who really dress up

i personally do not care what they do but I would prefer a dress code similar to regent. We can live with whatever is enforced 

Edited by bitob
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

I've never heard of Silversea throwing a costume party before.  Are you cruising over Halloween?

Maybe they should.  That would actually be fun.

35 minutes ago, RonWL said:

Maybe they should.  That would actually be fun.

I know that Cunard has (or used to have) masquerade balls as one of the themes for their gala nights. Similar, but not quite the same. 

A costume party would be fun; but probably you could only have that on Halloween night.  Otherwise, not too many people would think to pack a costume.

42 minutes ago, bitob said:

I doubt it but there needs to be consistency and the current situation is a hot mess   I think the folks most offended are the ones who really dress up

Well, it seems unlikely that the ones who dress casually are going to complain about the ones who are dressed more formally.  "That man in the tuxedo is offending me!  He looks too distinguished, and he's monopolizing the attentions of all the women!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I just spent half hour with hotel manager 

he was terrific

he is aware of dress code problem. Impossible to enforce. They try but if guest refuses they cannot offend guest or bar them from restaurant

on this ship they don’t have enough jackets to give out. Lol

he agrees that simple solution is formal optional so that those who want to dress up can. Others can dress casually. Men can wear jacket or not. It is simple and easy to enforce. If it were up to him he’d change it. Headquarters has to initiate the change 

I predict something will change 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I know that Cunard has (or used to have) masquerade balls as one of the themes for their gala nights. Similar, but not quite the same. 

A costume party would be fun; but probably you could only have that on Halloween night.  Otherwise, not too many people would think to pack a costume.

Cunard has theme nights. All theme night are formal dress. For the masquerade ball you just need one of those Venetian type masks on a stick. Available on Amazon. It is not a costume party

they also have a roaring twenties theme. Also formal. You’ve never seen so many sequined flapper dresses in one place in this century 

other 2 common themes are black and white and red and gold. Very easy. Also formal

25 minutes ago, bitob said:

Cunard has theme nights. All theme night are formal dress. For the masquerade ball you just need one of those Venetian type masks on a stick. Available on Amazon. It is not a costume party

they also have a roaring twenties theme. Also formal. You’ve never seen so many sequined flapper dresses in one place in this century 

other 2 common themes are black and white and red and gold. Very easy. Also formal

Even Cunard is struggling with the dress code issues.

I suspect that Cunard will be the last bastion; but like Rome in 476 AD, it will fall to the barbarians.

1 hour ago, bitob said:

I just spent half hour with hotel manager 

he was terrific

he is aware of dress code problem. Impossible to enforce. They try but if guest refuses they cannot offend guest or bar them from restaurant

I guess the important question is, then, do you see them trying with any level of consistency?  Is the attempt really being made?

I would imagine that, as was the case on our 'old' line, TransAtlantic SS cruisers will be of the more traditional type where one would more often find the hard core frequent flyers.  Guess we'll find out.