Ruby Princess - Panama Canal - Public Viewing Spots and Areas onboard?

LMaxwell

Considering booking Ruby to Panama Canal partial transit from Fort Lauderdale; I was watching Tips for Travelers videos and they made a good point about picking a ship with a good forward view.  How does Ruby rank for viewing spots in Panama canal?  Do they open the bow up? Is there a forward facing lounge or observation area that can be accessed?  How about the Promenade deck? How much offers a view vs how much is obstructed.  The rear sea pool looks like a promising area also. 

We are unsure if we will book a balcony or minisuite; so would have some sort of view, but wondering about public viewing locations. 

Going on the Ruby, you will be going through the New Locks. It you have never been to the Panama Canal, you may want to look at cruise that go through the Old Locks, much more to see. As for viewing areas. The promenade deck, deck 7 is open. From the you can access the bow of the ship, also the stern area which is an interesting view.  On Deck 16 forward you can access the front of the ship, also the side of the ship above the pol deck. They also open the area above the bridge. Deck 19 all the way up aft is a good viewing area. These areas can get crowed. A balcony cabin will give you uncrowed view to the side of the ship. But with so many things to see, walking around to all these areas, you won't miss things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been through the P.C. 5 times and I am currently booked for a 2024 Ruby partial transit.

For a the partial transit it is best to move around to see all the different aspects. The Ruby fits into the Agua Clara locks with lots of forward & aft space as well as quite a bit of space port and starboard. The ship is kept centered by tugs. The water retention ponds will be on the starboard side when entering from the Atlantic. The ship usually approaches the locks around 6am. It takes around 2 1/2 hours for the transit. There is plenty of time to move around for the many views. There are 3 locks. 

Nice views are from the promenade, deck 7, and  forward up the stairs to deck 8 where you and many others will be at the bow of the ship. On deck 16 above the lido pool deck there are plenty of port and starboard viewing areas. You can also walk forward for a front view. The Captain may also open the deck area on top of the bridge. Aft there is the terrace pool area and the two decks above it. There is no forward facing lounge. If you remain on your balcony you will only get a partial view. You will also have to turn your T.V. loud and to the designated channel to hear the commentary.

Once through the locks the ship anchors in Gatun Lake. Those with Princess tours are tendered to a shoreside dock. Only those on Princess tours are permitted to disembark the vessel in Gatun Lake. At some point the ship exits the lake  going back through the Agua Clara Locks. It then docks in either Colon or Cristobol. Passengers on tours are returned to the docked ship. Those that remain on board can exit the ship once docked. Panama is very hot and humid with strong sun. It also can rain at any time.  

Hope this information is helpful. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Sounds like a good ship for the canal, but am concerned about new locks versus old.  Where would I confirm which ones the ship goes to?

Only smaller ships like Coral and Island can transit the old locks.  All other PCL ships use the new locks.  In areas you can see part of the other locks from the one you are in.  With only one transit in the old, I do forget how much you can see of the other on the Atlantic side.

• Like 1

Regardless of the cabin you book and where the good viewing spots are (for "on the way in") you should definitely consider the excursion where you board a smaller boat and continue on through the canal to the Pacific Ocean!  We did this earlier this year after having done a full transit a few years ago.  After you reach Panama City area you board a bus and ride back to meet the ship...usually at Crystobal.  You see *so* much more of the country, even if it's only from a bus.  Passing through the old locks on this smaller boat gives you the chance to say that you've done both the old *and* the new locks...all in one cruise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Regardless of the cabin you book and where the good viewing spots are (for "on the way in") you should definitely consider the excursion where you board a smaller boat and continue on through the canal to the Pacific Ocean!  We did this earlier this year after having done a full transit a few years ago.  After you reach Panama City area you board a bus and ride back to meet the ship...usually at Crystobal.  You see *so* much more of the country, even if it's only from a bus.  Passing through the old locks on this smaller boat gives you the chance to say that you've done both the old *and* the new locks...all in one cruise!

Fabulous suggestion, definitely will look into this 

• Like 1

Just now, LMaxwell said:

Fabulous suggestion, definitely will look into this 

Just be advised...it's a LONG excursion; you *may* have to wait awhile to pass through the locks.  Being a smaller boat, you don't get to go through "by yourself".  They will wait until they can (safely) squeeze in more boats to make it as efficient as possible.  We had to wait about 45 minutes in the lock, which is actually interesting in itself.  You can really get a good look at the construction from 100 year ago and it will amaze you.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Sounds like a good ship for the canal, but am concerned about new locks versus old.  Where would I confirm which ones the ship goes to?

The Coral Princess and Island Princess are the only two Princess ships in the fleet that are "Panamax" in size. They were built in the early 2,000s to the maximum width and length to fit through the Panama Canal locks at that time, the old locks. These two ships have some full transits planned for the end of 2024 and 2025. They will transit the old locks. Since 2016 the new wider and longer locks opened. On the Atlantic side these are the Agua Clara locks. Ships like the Ruby and other large ships as well as giant freighters can now transit the canal. Before 2016 these ships had to transit around Cape Horn to sail into the Pacific. The old locks will be on your starboard side as you transit the Agua Clara locks. You most likely will not be able to see them at all, or you may catch a slight view of the building. If you want to see them you would have to book a Princess tour.

Other cruise lines have some smaller ships that have P.C. itineraries. If you are intent on going through the old locks then you might wish to research these lines. I have been through both. Personally I think a tour trip through the old locks is the better option to see the old locks. 

• Like 1

We've done the old locks twice and the new locks once. I definitely prefer the old locks and there is a cabin on Coral Princess that we have booked both times. Love the location. I don't know if we will do the locks again but, if we do, it would hopefully be the old locks on Coral Primcess. Otherwise I'd do the new locks as I have no desire to sail Island Princess again.