Cruise check in issues NCL app and website challenges

sharonann24

So, we are under the 20 day sailing date and I went in to my account to complete all of the documentation for both my husband and myself.  This is not our first NCL cruise and I have never encountered an issue previously.  I was able to complete mine fairly quickly.  However when I tried to complete my husband's they would not allow me to finalize it, saying he had to complete the section about the extra fees (sections 6 and 8).  (Also--it wasn't until I uploaded his picture and found that it was not accepted since he was wearing his glasses that I was aware of that issue.  That would have been nice to know beforehand.  Just saying,..)Then when we tried to download the app it kept rejecting it.  Frustrating to say the least.  I have never had so many issues with booking things with this cruise.  I also could not book the Donna Summer show for my father directly since he is not on our reservation.  I called NCL and was told they had to speak with him directly in order to do this.  Not possible since we are in CT and he is in MA.  This show is free and the agent said it was policy.  Again, another crazy issue since I was able to book an excursion for him directly with an agent using his credit card without her needing to speak with him.  I am going to try again this morning but the process is far from streamlined and has been somewhat frustrating.  

You don't have to download the app from NCL. It's available on the Google and Apple play stores. The instructions we saw this past May did say you shouldn't wear glasses for the picture, but I don't remember where.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, omahabob said:

My wife has her own NCL account, and as I recall, we had to do her check-in under her account.  Or some such issue as that.

Hmmmm... We both have accounts, but we have one person check in for both of us. 

To be honest, I don't remember what the exact difficulty was. It was just something I couldn't do for her. She had to do it herself. I do know she had to have the separate account to get her own military appreciation stuff (we're both retired Air Force), but that's an entirely different matter.

Edited by omahabob

since the restart after Covid, there has been issues with checking in.  I just forgo checking in now, and just check in at the port.  It's not a big deal for me since I personally don't see any value in checking in beforehand, but I know that is not the case for everyone 

I just figured that the problem was so many people at once trying to check in as we all got our reminder emails today!

being challenged with technology already I always struggle with this stuff 😬

The hardest part was the selfie picture, yikes it doesn't look good!!!

I remember for the Escape in March I had gotten woken up by the grandkids spending the night so I decided to do the online check-in process at 1 am. 

All went well till I had to wake my husband up to take his picture! 

Talk about a really scary picture!😫

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

Do you need to be successfully checked in, in order to make theater reservations in the 21 day window? 

No.  I was able to do that, as well as do excursions and dinner reservations.

46 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

Do you need to be successfully checked in, in order to make theater reservations in the 21 day window? 

no.  I've never had a problem making other reservations even when I don't do the check in

1 hour ago, GORDONCHICK said:

If I were going to do the online check-in while DH is at work, would I be able to do this if I took his photo before he went to work?  First time cruising since having to upload photos.

Definitely on the website. Never tried it on the app.  I use the same pics for every cruise. Just upload it from my laptop, not sure if you can do it from your phone.

• Like 1

So DH still could not create an account so once again we called NCL.  Finally he could create the account, I took a new pic....and still can not complete!  I will wait until the morning now.  I am doing this now from my laptop and not through my phone or the app.  I feel sorry for folks who are not tech savvy because this is challenging.