Formal wear concern - travel pre-cruise

We_like_to_cruise

Good morning,

We have been on many cruises (Elite on Princess) but this will be our first on Cunard.  We are looking forward to it!

But I hope that someone can provide guidance or suggestions for a concern that we have.

We know that Cunard really sticks to the formal dress requirements on gala nights and that is fine with us.  Although I personally own a tuxedo, it has been quite a bit of time since I last dragged it onto a cruise ship.  More recently I would wear a suit coat with button down shirt and tie and still be one of the better dressed guys at dinner.

And DW has nice dresses and gowns for the occasion.

Here is our problem / concern.  We will be taking an eastbound TA early next summer and spend a month or so in Europe before taking the westbound Cunard TA.  Our month’s travels will include visits to various cities, taking trains and short flights.

We really would prefer not to have to drag a lot of formal wear including shoes all around with us, especially if it will really only be used a few times at the very end of our travels!

Any thoughts how to address this? 

The Cunard FAQ indicate it is possible to rent a tuxedo onboard, but honestly it is pretty vague.  How will I know if they have my size available?

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/frequently-asked-questions.All.FAQ275.summary

Thanks!

Edited by We_like_to_cruise

The current 'gala' dress code only requires a dark suit and tie, but most men will be wearing 'black tie'. There is a lot more variety in women's formal wear. [and no idea as to how many different pairs of shoes would be needed.

Some folks [particularly the ones fond of 'self disembarkation'] will use a single carryon size suitcase including their formal wear items [some dual purpose clothing items, like a dark jacket].

How large a volume would be your 'not needed on land tour' luggage be? [carryon size? steamer trunk?] There is no luggage storage available on board, or at the cruise terminal - but there are some luggage storage service options in Southampton [according to google anyway] - seems to be about 5 pounds per day for a 'medium' size bag - if space is available.

The 'White Star' luggage service seems focused on home to ship or ship to home service - I wonder it can be used to forward a bag to your return crossing.

• Thanks 1

Not sure what you mean by early summer? Technically summer starts on June 21st.

You don't specify where you are going in Europe or where you plan to eat in the evenings.

We went to dinner at a beach side restaurant at Théoule-sur-Mer on June 17th. I wore a dark lightweight wool suit, and my wife a skirt and top. Leaving home at 5.30pm for the almost 2 hour trip I carried the jacket and wore it for the slightly shorter trip home. With the addition of a tie for me our outfits would have been fine for any evening on QM2.

We're going to a small Chef-Patron restaurant locally next Sunday for lunch and my wife will be wearing the dress she wore to Black & White night when we were on QM2. The forecast is strong sunshine 31C feeling like 40C. I'll probably wear linen trousers and open neck shirt.

Yes you can dress down to eat out in Europe but it's not compulsory.

Faced with your situation we would pack our lightest formal wear, selecting items that could be worn on the land trip as well. I might consider taking cheap tee-shirts with me for day wear, picking up more on the trip at budget outlets like Primark or C&A and putting the dirty ones I'd finished with in the hotel room bin. Sneakers can be worn for onboard day wear and the land trip. Consider buying a pair of gents black dance shoes. You don't need to dance in them but all the floors on QM2 are usually dry. Dance shoes have a soft pliable sole and are very light, and could be worn every night on board.

Effectively I would ask myself the reverse question. What's the minimum I can get away with for the land trip?  We ended up doing a round trip last year but originally planned (scuppered by covid) to sail west, have a week in NY and then sail east. Our plan was our gym sneakers for onboard would be daywear in NY and we'd have a few tee-shirts and light chinos and jeggings that might not get worn on QM2.

And just because I like to brighten things up, here we are after the meal at Théoule. The background isn't in great focus (it's not supposed to be), but I think you can see that the other diners weren't really dressed down either.

A7C02641.thumb.JPG.aebd057ea409e6ad5f190819a5a29a9b.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You've hit the nail on the head! If you want to rent a dinner suit, there is no guarantee they will have your size.

For the same price as renting, you can buy a new low price dinner suit at a variety of retailers. For example, Marks and Spencer have them around £100. Donate it after use if you like.

Please don't spend $000's on the trip, then miss the best bits because of a few dollars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

You've hit the nail on the head! If you want to rent a dinner suit, there is no guarantee they will have your size.

For the same price as renting, you can buy a new low price dinner suit at a variety of retailers. For example, Marks and Spencer have them around £100. Donate it after use if you like.

Please don't spend $000's on the trip, then miss the best bits because of a few dollars.

Or, if you really can’t face the extra luggage, stick to the informal venues coming over, then visit M&S for some formal wear just before the Westbound crossing and enjoy all the splendours of the ship. It’ll come in handy, as you’ll probably enjoy yourself so much that you’ll want to book again. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Have you asked Cunard if they have luggage storage as you are sailing the Atlantic both ways? I think I may have read that it is possible. 
Definitely worth investigating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good point, but what a waste of a crossing! 🤣

edit: But if that's the case there are other threads discussing "Luggage Forward"? They might be able to get someone at home to have a case collected to be delivered to ship at Southampton.

Edited by D&N
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

The OP has never said that the eastbound TA is on Cunard.  I got the impression that it is not, and will probably drop them in the Med.  EM

I also got the impression that the eastbound is not on Cunard. Luggage Forward should arrange to pick up at a hotel and send the bag with the "posh frocks" to the ship. I've done it in the past from a London hotel to Southampton. If the EB TA doesn't end at a UK port, the shipping would be more expensive, but still should be available, especially given the length of time between crossings. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What are your arrival/departure ports for the cruises . We did an eastbound cruise to Barcelona last year. Spent 6 weeks in Europe and then picked up the QE again in Barcelona to Singapore. We stored  our large bag of formal wear, and other nice to haves at the wharf in Barcelona and travelled carry-on only in Europe. 

I'd look for a service like that and pack so that you can carry a much smaller subset of clothes in Europe 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Good morning,

We have been on many cruises (Elite on Princess) but this will be our first on Cunard.  We are looking forward to it!

But I hope that someone can provide guidance or suggestions for a concern that we have.

We know that Cunard really sticks to the formal dress requirements on gala nights and that is fine with us.  Although I personally own a tuxedo, it has been quite a bit of time since I last dragged it onto a cruise ship.  More recently I would wear a suit coat with button down shirt and tie and still be one of the better dressed guys at dinner.

And DW has nice dresses and gowns for the occasion.

Here is our problem / concern.  We will be taking an eastbound TA early next summer and spend a month or so in Europe before taking the westbound Cunard TA.  Our month’s travels will include visits to various cities, taking trains and short flights.

We really would prefer not to have to drag a lot of formal wear including shoes all around with us, especially if it will really only be used a few times at the very end of our travels!

Any thoughts how to address this? 

The Cunard FAQ indicate it is possible to rent a tuxedo onboard, but honestly it is pretty vague.  How will I know if they have my size available?

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/frequently-asked-questions.All.FAQ275.summary

Thanks!

We’re doing a very similar trip.  We’re on a TA from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome in April 2024 and taking the QM2 westbound to NYC in June.   We’re on the ground about 7 weeks.   There is no way we’re carrying around formal wear for 7 weeks.  Our plan is to pack a luggage before we leave the US with our formal wear and send with Luggage Forward.  The company has received pretty good reviews from people here.   The only hiccup for us is that we can’t give the bag to Luggage Forward before we leave in April, since it’s too soon.  So, we’ll likely leave the bag with a family member.  

• Thanks 1

Lots of interesting options have been mentioned but I wouldn't rule out hiring a tux on the ship. I have done this on three TA voyages. They seem to have a large range of sizes and will make adjustments to things like trouser lengths.  And as there will only be a couple of formal nights you wouldn't  have to rent it for long. One thing to be aware of (unless things have changed in the last couple of years) is that they only rent the jacket, shirt and trousers. You have to supply your own shoes and bow tie  I have a 'versatile' pair of black shoes that I can wear both in the street and on the ship. It might be worth checking with Cunard about sizes and costs, etc.

Good luck with whatever options you choose and have a great trip.

• Thanks 1

When I embarked on QUEEN VICTORIA in May at Southampton with NO luggage (thanks to United Airlines), I was provided (free) with a perfectly fine hired dinner jacket, trousers and shirt.  Fortunately, I flew in black shoes. They have no shoes to hire and you need to buy a bow tie which they have lots. Or bring one. They have a pretty impressive range of sizes and stock, too.  I counted about 20 jackets/trousers and as many shirts in the cubby hole off the shops where this was stocked.  I think the cost would have been $80 a night. 

And this was on QV... like everything, QM2 should offer more so for the gent, you're set, assuming you're OK with the cost.  

• Thanks 1

A BLACK SUIT !!!!!

I have several tuxedos & dinner jackets(I live in NYC -so lots of use) now I only pack the tuxedo/ dinner jackets when I do roundtrip cruises out of my homeport of NYC.

Travelling to Europe I pack a black suit w several white dress shirts & a few different ties.  I can use the jacket w other pants but the suit can be used without a tie or for more formal occasions - on land & sea.

It never goes out of style  - its the male version of a women's "Little Black Dress"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well, it used to be... nowadays, it seems that the "little black dress" for men and women is a jogging suit or sweats. Amazing the sheer terror that "jacket and tie" induces nowadays. I actually think more among men in their 40s-50s than even younger guys. If I hear "who wants to wear a tie on vacation" one more time, I am going to be sick. 

I'd personally opt for a navy blue suit over black.. in a pinch, you could wear the jacket or trousers with something else. Frankly, a smart dark suit looks better on many men. 

But for gentlemen, dressing for Cunard is dead easy. Just is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Well, it used to be... nowadays, it seems that the "little black dress" for men and women is a jogging suit or sweats. Amazing the sheer terror that "jacket and tie" induces nowadays. I actually think more among men in their 40s-50s than even younger guys. If I hear "who wants to wear a tie on vacation" one more time, I am going to be sick. 

I'd personally opt for a navy blue suit over black.. in a pinch, you could wear the jacket or trousers with something else. Frankly, a smart dark suit looks better on many men. 

Probably true, but not really the issue here, which is to minimise the amount of luggage the OP has to cart around Europe.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Being someone in the age range you mention, I see both sides of the issue.  At work, I would say my attire is business casual 98% of the time and 2% business formal.   When on vacation, I tend not to want to be even business casual.   But it's not that difficult to put on a jacket and tie, so I see your point too. 

9 minutes ago, shippmates said:

Hope you can figure out how to take your formal wear as you would miss out on many things on the ship due to the dress code.  Enjoy your voyage.

FOMO is making me ship our formal clothes to Southampton so that we don't miss anything.  I also want to feel dressed appropriately as I'm very susceptible to peer pressure and like "fitting in".  

Edited by Joe33472
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

FOMO is making me ship our formal clothes to Southampton so that we don't miss anything.  I also want to feel dressed appropriately as I'm very susceptible to peer pressure and like "fitting in".  

Even if you aren't susceptible to peer pressure, it's just so nice to be dressed for the occasion. It makes the evening feel special.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  Our eastbound TA (not Cunard) disembarkation is in Barcelona and of course QM2 embarkation is Southampton.  The formal wear is not a concern eastbound.

You have given me many options to consider and research.  I will let you know how it all works out!

We are looking forward to dressing up and enjoying our Cunard cruise.  And, reading this Cunard Line section of CC for additional hints and tips.

I appreciate your contributions.

🙂

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Use a luggage company on Southampton there are several that service the ships/ We have used them to take extra baggage from our home to the ship.

Another alternative is a storage locker again quite a few not too far from the port and very reasonably priced.

• Thanks 1