Venice gondola and tour, August 2023 Help Please

Family Vac 2023

23 minutes ago, Family Vac 2023 said:

Looking to book a gondola ride and tour in Venice for 6 people in August of 2023 

There are many gondola stands along the canals.  You simply walk up to one and get on the next one. DO NOT PREBOOK A GONDOLA TOUR you will be overcharged.

The prices are set by the city government:  

80 euros for 30 minutes from 9 am to 7 pm

100 euros for 35 minutes from 7 pm to 3 am.

They only take a maximum of 6 passengers.  

Here is a map of the main gondola stations:

https://www.veniceingondola.com/gondole

Some operators offer a tour and gondola combination.  I think it is better to do them separately.  Here are the options:

https://www.getyourguide.com/s/?et=52926&psrc=widget&partner_id=374MR5Y&utm_medium=online_publisher&currency=EUR&q=Venezia&queryMatch=all&widget=activities&wid=add4c5af-5272-5c2d-aab2-5d775ae2b1b2&visitor_id=03ABB2D6E8094126AA20B5ED0517C3FD&visitor-id=03ABB2D6E8094126AA20B5ED0517C3FD&locale_autoredirect_optout=true

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Family Vac 2023 said:

thank you so much just save me hours of research 

Do I need a guide for St. mark square?

No. Get a guide book.

For St Mark's basilica and the Doge's palace you could consider a tour because it could let you skip the lines and you would learn more about the places. Go directly to their websites and see what they offer. Compare to tour operators. 

Edited by marazul

16 hours ago, marazul said:

There are many gondola stands along the canals.  You simply walk up to one and get on the next one. DO NOT PREBOOK A GONDOLA TOUR you will be overcharged.

The prices are set by the city government:  

80 euros for 30 minutes from 9 am to 7 pm

100 euros for 35 minutes from 7 pm to 3 am.

They only take a maximum of 6 passengers.  

Here is a map of the main gondola stations:

https://www.veniceingondola.com/gondole

Some operators offer a tour and gondola combination.  I think it is better to do them separately.  Here are the options:

https://www.getyourguide.com/s/?et=52926&psrc=widget&partner_id=374MR5Y&utm_medium=online_publisher&currency=EUR&q=Venezia&queryMatch=all&widget=activities&wid=add4c5af-5272-5c2d-aab2-5d775ae2b1b2&visitor_id=03ABB2D6E8094126AA20B5ED0517C3FD&visitor-id=03ABB2D6E8094126AA20B5ED0517C3FD&locale_autoredirect_optout=true

We took a gondola ride recently and asked the price upfront. The first gondolier was 20 euros higher than the second for the 35 minute ride. The second was a bigger operation and charged 80 euro for 35 minutes. We throughly enjoyed the ride

• Like 1

There are plenty of gondoliers and some bad apples. If one tries to overcharge you, you move to the next one. What's important is to know the official price. And like you did,  confirm the price upfront.  

• Like 1

We purchased tickets for St Marks directly on their website for our May trip this year. cruisemom42 sent me the link but I am not locating it. It was so well worth skipping the line (which was huge). Purchasing direct did not have any extra fees that you might find with other avenues. Be sure to include tickets to the museum upstairs so that you can see all that and walk out onto the balcony.
We also purchased tickets in advance for Doges Palace, which is right next to St Marks.  

On 7/12/2023 at 5:58 PM, Family Vac 2023 said:

thank you so much just save me hours of research 

Do I need a guide for St. mark square?

You don’t NEED one, but the history and details are  fascinating and it makes it easier to get around, you just follow. Guide knows the shortcuts. 

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We purchased tickets for St Marks directly on their website for our May trip this year. cruisemom42 sent me the link but I am not locating it. It was so well worth skipping the line (which was huge). Purchasing direct did not have any extra fees that you might find with other avenues. Be sure to include tickets to the museum upstairs so that you can see all that and walk out onto the balcony.
We also purchased tickets in advance for Doges Palace, which is right next to St Marks.  

During our recent visit we also had purchased skip the line tickets in advance for St. Mark’s with all of the special areas and the Doge’s Palace. I also booked ahead of time the bell tower for when they first opened at 9:30 am. Then went on a 30 minute gondola ride right after the bell tower and at that point there was no line yet.