Mass on Edge ships

Niagarawine

17 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

Do they still have mass on the ships? 

Celebrity doesn't. Pretty sure HAL is the only line that has a priest onboard every cruise unless a scheduled priest has a last minute emergency. They do daily mass twice, one for crew, one for passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aloha. Have done sailings on all the major lines and nowadays it seems HAL is the only major line with a priest on board regularly.  Have sailed Princess and Cunard during religious holidays and they did have a priest with mass celebrated but I would suggest HAL. Also, I attend mass every Sunday wherever I am and use MassTimes , an app which locates churches everywhere.  If that doesn’t help you can always stream on YouTube and there is a prayer you can say while watching mass if you are unable to physically attend. Keep us posted! All blessings 

We had a non-denominational service on a cruise.  Some Catholics on the ship  said "that does not count".  Actually, it was really nice seeing people of different religions all in one  group.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

Celebrity doesn't. Pretty sure HAL is the only line that has a priest onboard every cruise unless a scheduled priest has a last minute emergency. They do daily mass twice, one for crew, 

40 minutes ago, keesar said:

We had a non-denominational service on a cruise.  Some Catholics on the ship  said "that does not count".  Actually, it was really nice seeing people of different religions all in one  group.

I've attended a non-denominational service that was not as well attended as a daily Catholic Mass.

23 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

Do they still have mass on the ships? 

Standard rule of thumb is no, unless you are lucky to have a priest traveling on the cruise, but they are on vacation and may not want to preside over a mass.  Some ports such as Ketchikan there is a local parish Holy Name Catholic that has a Port to Pew program that states:

"We have a Port to Pew van that will pick up cruise passengers and bring them to Holy Name and back to port throughout the season. 
If you gather at the Visitors Center by the Rain Gauge and look for our tan or blue Holy Name minivans
at 8:30AM Sunday mornings or
4:45PM Saturday
you can ride for free (donations are accepted).  We will make several trips if needed between port and the church.  We also have a beautiful Mary Garden you can enjoy if you arrive early for mass.  Please call or email the office for more information or to let us know when you are arriving!
907-225-2570 churchoffice@holynamektn.org"

I don't know if they will return you to port after Mass or make you go back to port on your own.

We have been on many Celebrity Cruises.  Mass is hit or miss.  It seems that if a priest is on board as a passenger, he may say a daily mass or a Saturday evening mass.  We have been to many Saturday evening masses in Celebrity Central on the S-Class ships.  We have talked to several of the priests saying the masses, and, yes, they are passengers who want to say daily mass.  What surprised me is that some of the priests felt their masses were more for the crew, than the passengers.  I have no idea where they say the mass for the crew, but the priests have said that the crew love it when a priest is on board to say mass.  So, if I had to put a number on it, of our twenty seven or so Celebrity Cruises, maybe about one-third have had a priest onboard to say mass.  By the way, the masses we attended in Celebrity Central were of the quick variety, lasting 25 or 30 minutes tops.

On 7/14/2023 at 9:40 AM, mom4mom said:

I've attended a non-denominational service that was not as well attended as a daily Catholic Mass.

That's because the Catholic religion makes mass mandatory in most circumstances.  Non-denominational is open to anyone of any religion of course.  I'm not a religious expert but I think if there is not a priest onboard saying mass then a Catholic can probably meet their requirements by streaming a service online.

The only time I ever saw mass was on a sailing that took place over Easter and Passover.  There was mass on Easter Sunday (not sure about Good Friday), and they had a Passover seder one night that people could attend if they wanted to (they had to rsvp), which I'm assuming was presided over by the Rabbi.  I think he was invited to be on the ship.  His wife wasn't happy to be on the cruise so maybe she was coerced.  lol  It was a Panama Canal cruise and we were on the helipad when we spoke to her.  Not sure why she was unhappy.

1 hour ago, AmberCascades said:

The only time I ever saw mass was on a sailing that took place over Easter and Passover.  There was mass on Easter Sunday (not sure about Good Friday), and they had a Passover seder one night that people could attend if they wanted to (they had to rsvp), which I'm assuming was presided over by the Rabbi.  I think he was invited to be on the ship.  His wife wasn't happy to be on the cruise so maybe she was coerced.  lol  It was a Panama Canal cruise and we were on the helipad when we spoke to her.  Not sure why she was unhappy.

Hard to believe, but some people don't like cruising!  Or maybe it was the weather - on our Panama Canal cruise outside it felt as hot as you-know-where, so maybe she just didn't like having to be outdoors.🙂