Check in Time

skrufy

A little help needed from all you experienced HAL cruisers. We are taking our first HAL cruise this January. We have only cruised Carnival and very familiar with selecting a check in time, My question is, does Holland America assign a check in time with the boarding documents? 

I can answer part of the question.  I just looked at our Boarding Passes for our Norway sailing out of Amsterdam.  It has the Embarkation date and Boarding time, and the Boarding Time is listed as "To Be Assigned".

As a HAL newbie, does HAL choose your time?

image.png.9cbf7283467742444b2604ce4ca7c710.png

In Amsterdam, I wouldn't worry too much about check in time. I boarded the Rotterdam on the 1st and no one was checking times. They just filled rows of chairs and then let each row go check in. My check in time was 12:05 and I was in a row with people with a 1:10 time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, skrufy said:

My question is, does Holland America assign a check in time with the boarding documents? 

Yes. I'm sailing in 12 days and my check-in time appeared only boarding pass yesterday – 13 days out.

40 minutes ago, ExpatBride said:

Yes. I'm sailing in 12 days and my check-in time appeared only boarding pass yesterday – 13 days out.

40 minutes ago, ExpatBride said:

Thanks everyone for your quick responses.

Ues, HAL assigns your check in time. You will likely see it in the Navigator App before you get a barcode on the printed boarding pass. 

No, you don't select a time like you do on Carnival. 

Welcome to HAL; safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

My last cruise on Rotterdam, my boarding time changed several times but it was not a problem to board earlier (Port Everglades). As a heads up, Princess (or Norwegian) today announced NO BOARDING times beginning Aug. 1, 2023. These things can change like a tidal wave.

Jim

19 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

My last cruise on Rotterdam, my boarding time changed several times but it was not a problem to board earlier (Port Everglades). As a heads up, Princess (or Norwegian) today announced NO BOARDING times beginning Aug. 1, 2023. These things can change like a tidal wave.

Jim

wow, maybe I'm waisting my time searching for an answer to a question I have.   We have never cruised with HAL.  With other cruise lines, as soon as they release your docs , you sign up for a boarding time. If they release the docs at midnight, you better be online at midnight to get an early time.   Looking for information on HAL and the way that you get your boarding time.  Is it assigned or do you select?  Thanks for the help.  

1 minute ago, afdds said:

wow, maybe I'm waisting my time searching for an answer to a question I have.   We have never cruised with HAL.  With other cruise lines, as soon as they release your docs , you sign up for a boarding time. If they release the docs at midnight, you better be online at midnight to get an early time.   Looking for information on HAL and the way that you get your boarding time.  Is it assigned or do you select?  Thanks for the help.  

I always use a travel agent for booking a cruise. When I book one, I ask my agent to request a time. On our last HAL cruise, I asked for a time, it was granted but then changed several times before ending near my original request. My next cruise is on Anthem of the Seas in October so I am waiting to see how their system works or does not.

Jim

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, afdds said:

We have never cruised with HAL.  With other cruise lines, as soon as they release your docs , you sign up for a boarding time. ... Looking for information on HAL and the way that you get your boarding time.  Is it assigned or do you select?

HAL assigns times. Several times before they settle on one for any given passenger, as a matter of fact. No need to stay up past your bedtime (or come in early from a night on the town) to get a request in. 

In most embarkation ports (San Diego being a rigid exception), you can come earlier than your assigned check-in time (which it really is, rather than a 'boarding' time), and will not be held back. 
Be aware that there are several categories of passengers who have priority to board, so there will be more crowds earlier. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RuthC said:

HAL assigns times. Several times before they settle on one for any given passenger, as a matter of fact. No need to stay up past your bedtime (or come in early from a night on the town) to get a request in. 

In most embarkation ports (San Diego being a rigid exception), you can come earlier than your assigned check-in time (which it really is, rather than a 'boarding' time), and will not be held back. 
Be aware that there are several categories of passengers who have priority to board, so there will be more crowds earlier. 

Thank you Ruth,  that was the explanation I was looking for.  Carnival will turn you away or so they say if you arrive earlier than you are assigned to.  At least that is the case with the door monitor in Galveston.   LOL I'm sure I will get a late time because we have an inside cabin.  I don't sleep every well and need it  to be pitch black.  Also, I figured we would be up on deck most of the time. We always book the balcony category but never use it.  Our last cruise was in May on the Allure of the Seas and I swear I didn't sit in the chair at all.  I stood outside for 5 min or so, but that was it.   Well, at least this time around I don't have to get up and run to the computer.  I'll let HAL do all the work for me.   Thanks for answering.

9 minutes ago, afdds said:

LOL I'm sure I will get a late time because we have an inside cabin.

Don't be so sure. 
I have no idea what logic (if any) HAL uses to assign check-in times, but as a cave dweller myself, I have not had a late check-in time. 

If you plan to get there some time after noon-ish, or a bit after, then you should not have a long wait. 

• Like 1

Hey @afdds as @RuthC said, no need for you to babysit your booking for a check-in time or boarding group  - both are automatic and will be at the top of your boarding pass in the Navigator App.

Also, once you are on board, you're welcome to go drop off your carry-on bags in your cabin whether it's ready or not. You are then free to go explore the ship and eat lunch. No need to camp out anywhere waiting for your cabin, like they do on some other cruise lines. 

20230716_184100.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hey @afdds as @RuthC said, no need for you to babysit your booking for a check-in time or boarding group  - both are automatic and will be at the top of your boarding pass in the Navigator App.

Also, once you are on board, you're welcome to go drop off your carry-on bags in your cabin whether it's ready or not. You are then free to go explore the ship and eat lunch. No need to camp out anywhere waiting for your cabin, like they do on some other cruise lines. 

20230716_184100.jpg

I'm totally confused - why would you do that - why not go to a bar? 

• Like 2

On 7/15/2023 at 5:47 PM, jeh10641 said:

Jim

Saw this about Princess.  It will be interesting to see how it goes. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, fabuloso said:

Can you change your check out time?  Or do they put "7 AM" for everyone? 

7:00 AM (or earlier) is when the ship docks. Then it has to be cleared by the local authorities and made ready for passengers to disembark. 
Self-disembarkation starts about 7:30 or so, and then passengers are called off, generally based on times of onward transportation. 

Since the return to cruising, HAL has been having passengers choose their own times (baggage tag colors). You disembark when your baggage tag color is called, with most passengers off by about 9:45 (or so). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

20230716_184100.jpg

Thank you so much.  That is great news about HAL not locking the hallway doors until all cabins are ready.  That makes "carry on" so much easier.  Just out of curiosity , is this a HAL ship or another line.  Because this happens all the time on RC and Carnival.

20 hours ago, RuthC said:

Don't be so sure. 
I have no idea what logic (if any) HAL uses to assign check-in times, but as a cave dweller myself, I have not had a late check-in time. 

If you plan to get there some time after noon-ish, or a bit after, then you should not have a long wait. 

I love it!  "Cave Dweller".  I sure hope it will be a nice enough space.  We have only done inside once before.  I will need to return a car rental so I'm guessing not too much before noon.  Do you know if we board after the MD closes, can we get anything to eat before dinner time?    I'm also guessing that the buffet area is open all the time.  Thanks

5 minutes ago, afdds said:

I love it!  "Cave Dweller".  I sure hope it will be a nice enough space.  We have only done inside once before.  I will need to return a car rental so I'm guessing not too much before noon.  Do you know if we board after the MD closes, can we get anything to eat before dinner time?    I'm also guessing that the buffet area is open all the time.  Thanks

A review of my Daily Program collection shows that the Lido Market Buffet closes around 2:00 PM on Embarkation Day BUT some stations will remain open until 4:00 PM.  Other choices on the Eurodam would be the NY Pizza on the aft Deck 9 that is open until midnight.

27 minutes ago, afdds said:

Thank you so much.  That is great news about HAL not locking the hallway doors until all cabins are ready.  That makes "carry on" so much easier.  Just out of curiosity , is this a HAL ship or another line.  Because this happens all the time on RC and Carnival.

If you're asking where that picture was taken, it was not HAL. It was taken this week from a Big C ship 🥺🫣

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 9:46 AM, afdds said:

You might check The Dive In for burgers, hot dogs and fries on the Lido Deck.

Jim