Orkney Island Port(Kirkwall)

trrn2016

Hi,

Is the port of Kirkwall walkable to town? Do they have tours at the port available? Seems like all of the tours on Princess are pricey and not very good. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

We did an independent your lots of local guides here.

www.otga.co.uk

Orkney tour guide association.

The port is not located at the town. When we visited last year local buses ran from the port. 

Edited by Malleykatt
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sarnia 432 said:

Once yo get there, the town is very walkable, harbour, shops, Cathedral.  It is a 2.2mile walk from the cruise ship dock to the Cathedral, so unless you are a good walker the shuttle service might be your best bet.

Must you have GBP or can you use credit card? 

The small town is charming. We walk all around . I loved the cathedral and a old castle behind the Castle. We got our best Sweat and T-shirts in the shops. We took a bus to the Standing stones instead of the ships tour. Our Ship tour was to much money , but if your is cheap enough I would of done the ship tour. The town is nice and fine for a day 

1 hour ago, williamfturcotte said:

The small town is charming. We walk all around . I loved the cathedral and a old castle behind the Castle. We got our best Sweat and T-shirts in the shops. We took a bus to the Standing stones instead of the ships tour. Our Ship tour was to much money , but if your is cheap enough I would of done the ship tour. The town is nice and fine for a day 

All of the excursions are very expensive. I am thinking of walking to the town if it is possible. Also, saw they have a free shuttle to the travel center and then find places to go like the Cathedral.

I did the bus to & from Skara Brae. Note: you must have exact change in £. No €,¥,or $ accepted. 

Screenshot_20230714-132111_Photos.jpg.a69a78f369c3fd693eba05ee6ee04ecc.jpg

20230714_132945.thumb.jpg.28cf33a305122f5c61cf49c547cf41e0.jpg

Screenshot_20230714-132408_Rome2Rio.thumb.jpg.4d17f82f7b2af32e7bacc061cfda3ebb.jpgI know this clip states USD but that was NOT accepted in 2018. Just £s

there used to be other alternatives as well so Google it if interested. Weird to call pre-shutdown as olden days but a lot has changed

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I did the bus to & from Skara Brae. Note: you must have exact change in £. No €,¥,or $ accepted. 

Screenshot_20230714-132111_Photos.jpg.a69a78f369c3fd693eba05ee6ee04ecc.jpg

20230714_132945.thumb.jpg.28cf33a305122f5c61cf49c547cf41e0.jpg

Screenshot_20230714-132408_Rome2Rio.thumb.jpg.4d17f82f7b2af32e7bacc061cfda3ebb.jpgI know this clip states USD but that was NOT accepted in 2018. Just £s

there used to be other alternatives as well so Google it if interested. Weird to call pre-shutdown as olden days but a lot has changed

So did you get the bus from the travel centre where the shuttle left you off?

16 minutes ago, trrn2016 said:

So did you get the bus from the travel centre where the shuttle left you off?

Main bus terminal. There's another bus (101 or was it T1?) that also did it but stopped in Stromness to pick up / drop off. Just get there early as it's popular. Frankly I think a taxi for 2+ passengers would still be cheaper than the ship tour (1/2 hr, $45ish?)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Main bus terminal. There's another bus (101 or was it T1?) that also did it but stopped in Stromness to pick up / drop off. Just get there early as it's popular. Frankly I think a taxi for 2+ passengers would still be cheaper than the ship tour (1/2 hr, $45ish?)

Yes T11 bus.

It was a a great tour at an an exceptional price--20-25?

I didn't pay, a friend did--they don't take credit cards?

(DH & I are going to do this next year)

The town is small but very cute.

• Like 1

Just now, KKB said:

Yes T11 bus.

It was a a great tour at an an exceptional price--20-25?

I didn't pay, a friend did--they don't take credit cards?

(DH & I are going to do this next year)

The town is small but very cute.

I know they didn't bc I was next in line and they re-announced correct cash only. Fortunately another roll call member loaned me the rest of £ and I paid him back with $s onboard. I had a few £ but nowhere near enough. He was from USA so $s maybe wasn't a problem? Everyone was scrambling

Now I ALWAYS carry 50 in small bills local currency (they also weren't making change)

This was June 2018

• Like 1

13 hours ago, trrn2016 said:

Hi,

Is the port of Kirkwall walkable to town? Do they have tours at the port available? Seems like all of the tours on Princess are pricey and not very good. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

This year on Regal we tendered into Kirkwall pier which is right on the edge of the town - about 5 minutes easy walk to the Cathedral.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

There is a dock in Kirkwall at Hatston Pier which is about a 2 mile walk to the Cathedral. An NCL ship was docked when we were there so maybe there’s a shuttle bus for those passengers.

Not only is there a shuttle bus it was free when we were in Kirkwall on the Star in June.

Catherine

20 hours ago, trrn2016 said:

Hi,

Thanks!

It has been about 10 years, but we were able to rent a car, drive to Skara Brae, the Ring of Brodgar and then back to town to walk around to the cathedral and local shops, for much less than the ship tours. Of course, you must be comfortable with driving on the left side. There are several rental car facilities easily walkable in town.

32 minutes ago, leavingocalaagain said:

It has been about 10 years, but we were able to rent a car, drive to Skara Brae, the Ring of Brodgar and then back to town to walk around to the cathedral and local shops, for much less than the ship tours.

That's exactly what I plan to do this year (Regal, Aug 31).
https://www.wrtullock.com/rental-car-list/

The rental car company is right next to the shuttle bus dropoff in Kirkwall.