Juneau Warning

Gsel

We were in Juneau on 7/4.  So glad we had purchased a independent tour !

There were five ships in port and the streets were so crowded people were forced to walk in the streets. Many were just standing on the sidewalk talking, eating, or just looking around. People if you need to stop on a crowded sidewalk move to the side or wait until you can! 

IMHO Juneau needs to rethink that many ships on one day, not safe!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gsel said:

Many were just standing on the sidewalk talking, eating, or just looking around. People if you need to stop on a crowded sidewalk move to the side or wait until you can!

This is big problem where I reside, New York City. Too many people--most often, though not exclusively, visitors--fail to recognize that sidewalks are for transportation, not for standing still and gawking, looking at maps or guidebooks, or just stopping to yap. (No problem with eating if you're able to walk at the same time.) If you want to look at something, or if you don't know where you're going, or if there is an urgent to stop to converse, then move off to the side (or better yet, get off the sidewalk completely) and let the pedestrian traffic flow. People need to get places and they should not blocked from getting there because inconsiderate people just stand around blocking traffic. Please: move along!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GTJ said:

This is big problem where I reside, New York City. Too many people--most often, though not exclusively, visitors--fail to recognize that sidewalks are for transportation, not for standing still and gawking, looking at maps or guidebooks, or just stopping to yap. (No problem with eating if you're able to walk at the same time.) If you want to look at something, or if you don't know where you're going, or if there is an urgent to stop to converse, then move off to the side (or better yet, get off the sidewalk completely) and let the pedestrian traffic flow. People need to get places and they should not blocked from getting there because inconsiderate people just stand around blocking traffic. Please: move along!

i used to work off hollywood blvd, and every day i had to say "it is a sideWALK not a sideSTAND"  i am for sure a tourist, and i take pictures of all kinds of things, but i really try and keep my head about myself so i don't stop suddenly or block the flow and stand off to the side until i can get a shot of what i want, usually graffiti or some small odd thing

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Glaciers said:

"Juneau and Cruise Lines Agree to Limit Cruise Ships Starting in 2024"

https://maritime-executive.com/article/juneau-and-cruise-lines-agree-to-limit-cruise-ships-starting-in-2024

It is interesting. It probably wasn't an issue to have 4-5 ships previously until the 4-5 ships stopping grew in size and are not carrying sometimes double the amount of people that ships used to carry years ago.

They obviously built the Franklin Dock and AJ dock to allow for more ships. Though when they did this, I doubt they imagined ships would carry 4000+ passengers.

• Like 2

I think this just highlights the fact that cruise ship tourists always seem to get sucked into the manufactured shopping area immediately adjacent to the docks instead of getting out to see the true location.  But yeah, this is a combination of a few problems.....too many people, and too few places to sit and congregate in that small downtown area.  The sidewalks outside the shops are very narrow.