Advice needed asap!

bigsky

We booked some excursions about 4 months ago. I have continued to email and they just emailed back saying they need one more couple with the two excursions. Oddly, with me booking so far out and they told me I was the first to book, they still need one more couple?? They are very popular here and have great reviews. My concern is that you need to get tickets to the Colesseum 30 days out and we're liked 28 now. One excursion is Best of Rome Aug 10th and Florence/Pisa the 9th.

I'm not sure if I should try to get the tickets for the Colesseum now, but not knowing what I'm supposed to do if they confirm me on Monday or so.

Just don't want to be left out. Not sure if they messed up and forgot to put us on the list?? People have said here, likely they have many tours already booked and they added another and that's why they need one more couple. They have been very slow to respond to me.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the tours already have tickets held for this?? I checked and the underground isn't available, but access to the arena is. Not the time I wanted. Wish I could just talk with them on the phone.

This hasn't been fun for me waiting on them as I usually have all things figured out for our Caribbean cruises months in advance.

8 minutes ago, CGinMTL said:

Not sure what tour operator you booked with. But I would start looking at others 

I used romeinlimo in Italy.

Good luck

italy tours....I'm looking now. I have one booked with them that's confirmed. Disappointed about this

54 minutes ago, bigsky said:

Why do you do that instead of the two of us?

Well, if they say they need 2 more, set up 2 more “people “ for your group.  Then, they have to not show up but you still want to do the tour…

31 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Well, if they say they need 2 more, set up 2 more “people “ for your group.  Then, they have to not show up but you still want to do the tour…

I think they have to pay prior to the tour so that wouldn’t work 🥴

21 minutes ago, CGinMTL said:

If you already paid but they are not sure the tour will proceed. You should be able to cancel 

I already paid for another excursion thru them. That’s how I know they don’t take money until they have enough people. I haven’t paid for my other two excursions.

Do most your companies have u buy all your tickets on your own or do they get and u pay them?

Thought I had all this figured out cuz I thought they would take care of it

It's not uncommon for private tours for people to go with a smaller group. I know for example that vans tend to be smaller in many European ports than we are accustomed to in the US. 

When I booked a private tour with this same group last year, I told them we only wanted to go with six, not eight. They just increased the price per person accordingly. 

This should be an option for you. Don't be penny-wise and pound foolish. You don't want to be left sitting with nothing at the end of the day.

RE: the tickets -- information about purchasing tickets should have been included in your confirmation email. Did you read it carefully?

If you want to speak to them, they do have a number listed on their website -- it says they will answer in English during normal working hours (European time).

• Like 2

I have heard on different message boards I go on about issues with tours that included the Colosseum that they sometimes can’t get tickets and cancel last minute. We actually were there yesterday had gotten ours at the 30 day mark online but as we were waiting to go in were talking to a couple who mentioned that happened so they had to stand in the day of ticket line. Is this a one day port stop from a cruise ship that you are trying to book a day tour for Rome? If possible I would do things on your own. The train from Civi to Rome Termini is a little over an hour. There will be tickets also available 7 days in advance. What else do you want to see in Rome?

5 hours ago, CynBeth6 said:

I have heard on different message boards I go on about issues with tours that included the Colosseum that they sometimes can’t get tickets and cancel last minute. We actually were there yesterday had gotten ours at the 30 day mark online but as we were waiting to go in were talking to a couple who mentioned that happened so they had to stand in the day of ticket line. 

What’s the best way to ensure we get tickets to see the Colosseum?  Will we be able to buy them ourselves at the 30 day mark or do the large tour companies scoop them all up too fast?  Is that when they begin selling them?

3 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What’s the best way to ensure we get tickets to see the Colosseum?  Will we be able to buy them ourselves at the 30 day mark or do the large tour companies scoop them all up too fast?  Is that when they begin selling them?

Tickets are released 30 days prior to the date of visit. They are scooped up almost instantly by tour providers. It has become a big headache and there have been many complaints as to how this is being handled. They can sell out within 5-10 minutes after release. If you need to get your own tickets, make note of the date they'll go on sale and be prepared to call at the correct time to try to snag them. Know which ones you want but also it is suggested to have a back up in mind.

If that fails, some additional tickets go on sale 7 days prior to date of visit. Some sources say these are returned tickets from agencies that weren't able to get "takers" for their tours. Others say some tickets are held back until the 7 day mark to provide an additional opportunity to purchase. For many cruisers, this timing isn't ideal if they are already enroute to their destination or onboard a ship...

Finally, there is always the option of booking with a private provider who has (or will have) tickets. This is not without risk as they too are dependent on being able to get the tickets one month out. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Tickets are released 30 days prior to the date of visit. They are scooped up almost instantly by tour providers. It has become a big headache and there have been many complaints as to how this is being handled. They can sell out within 5-10 minutes after release. If you need to get your own tickets, make note of the date they'll go on sale and be prepared to call at the correct time to try to snag them. Know which ones you want but also it is suggested to have a back up in mind.

Do they go on sale at midnight 30 days prior? I believe that’s 6 PM here. 

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If that fails, some additional tickets go on sale 7 days prior to date of visit. Some sources say these are returned tickets from agencies that weren't able to get "takers" for their tours. Others say some tickets are held back until the 7 day mark to provide an additional opportunity to purchase. For many cruisers, this timing isn't ideal if they are already enroute to their destination or onboard a ship...

Finally, there is always the option of booking with a private provider who has (or will have) tickets. This is not without risk as they too are dependent on being able to get the tickets one month out. 

Are there any providers that are more likely to get the tickets than others?  This is making my small, independent provider less appealing. Also, just realized she doesn’t do the underground. I think we would want to do that. Very disappointing because we liked the idea of a private tour. 

28 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The first time they go on sale is at 30 days at the time you want. For example we wanted 9 am so you have to be on the website at 9 am Rome time which for us was 3 am US east coast time. I had heard from message boards it is very hard to get tickets you are competing with tours who use computer robots and individuals the best way seems to be to try just going for regular tickets or the audio guide ones not the arena floor or full access which are harder so my husband and I were on 2 devices each and on the calendar we kept refreshing and trying for an hour until the date turned green and we finally were able to buy. Then they go on sale at 7 days in advance. If still unsuccessful they have a day of ticket booth.

• Thanks 1