RED WARNING HEATWAVE ALERTS ISSUED FOR SEVERAL ITALIAN CITIES and areas

edinburgher

including, but not exclusive to, Rome, Florence, Bologna, also for Greece, Spain, Sicily, Croatia, Sardinia and others.

The current severe heatwave (Cerberus) sweeping across several European countries has prompted local authorities to issue red alerts (the most severe) with advisories for tourists about not venturing out at certain times of the day, hydration, and other useful tips.Temperatures are expected to climb even higher next week when a second heatwave(Cheron) is expected.

Info can be easily found online., but best to maybe not overplan sightseeing days ashore, dress sensibly, drink lots of water, etc etc.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

A couple of my cousins have been in Rome this week and it has been challenging.  I suggested a day in the lakes to cool off, but there is so much they want to see that they keep pushing themselves.   Sometimes less is more, especially when your health is on the line.

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

including, but not exclusive to, Rome, Florence, Bologna, also for Greece, Spain, Sicily, Croatia, Sardinia and others.

The current severe heatwave (Cerberus) sweeping across several European countries has prompted local authorities to issue red alerts (the most severe) with advisories for tourists about not venturing out at certain times of the day, hydration, and other useful tips.Temperatures are expected to climb even higher next week when a second heatwave(Cheron) is expected.

Info can be easily found online., but best to maybe not overplan sightseeing days ashore, dress sensibly, drink lots of water, etc etc.

Is this normal for July?

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

A couple of my cousins have been in Rome this week and it has been challenging.  I suggested a day in the lakes to cool off, but there is so much they want to see that they keep pushing themselves.   Sometimes less is more, especially when your health is on the line.

Absolutely  bonkers to try to continue sightseeing in these temperatures, plus they are expected to rise even further next week.

the Red Cross have reportedly distributed tens of thousands of bottles of water at the Acropolis due to so many visitors collapsing and/or fainting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Similar conditions existed early last July as well. I was on a business trip in Germany and France. It was challenging just getting around for business meetings, especially in France -- I can't imagine trying to sightsee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_European_heat_waves

I love my job, but I don’t love having to plan vacations around my time off. I would love to go in September, over our anniversary (9-3-94) and avoid the heaviest of the tour season.  

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Absolutely  bonkers to try to continue sightseeing in these temperatures, plus they are expected to rise even further next week.

the Red Cross have reportedly distributed tens of thousands of bottles of water at the Acropolis due to so many visitors collapsing and/or fainting.

I thought they closed it from 12-5. Are they collapsing outside of those hours? 

4 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

thought they closed it from 12-5. Are they collapsing outside of those hours? 

My understaning is that it was closed during the hottest  hours as a result of the number of folks taking ill, with many collapsing/fainting.  I think we have to assume that the stats were higher during these times.

Are they collapsing outside of those hours?

As it was only a  "heads up" I didn't come armed with extensive data, only passing on info I had read on reputable news websites and as reported on our tv news. I was really only posting a friendly warning to cruise pax planning visits within the next week or so, particularly as Greece is only one of several  countries/regions  in the Southern Med affected by this. The Italian Govt has reportedly issued 16 red alerts for cities and towns across italy.

There are many news reports online and you would need to check these  for the more detailed info you are hoping for concerning  whether folks are still becoming ill ,and if so, the approximate times of day they are taking ill, but as red alerts are the highest warning,  you could also  try googling something like "red alerts for European heatwave" to get more up to date info than I can supply. 

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I love my job, but I don’t love having to plan vacations around my time off. I would love to go in September, over our anniversary (9-3-94) and avoid the heaviest of the tour season.

If you absolutely must travel during July or August,  to avoid the hottest periods in S. Europe, you could consider cruising (or a land trip) to the UK/Ireland, or Norway,Sacandinavia in general,  Iceland, the Baltic, or any other Northern European country.

Does anyone else think that, after the scorching heat experienced in S Europe this year, bookings for some of these "cooler" destinations will see an increase for next year?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Similar conditions existed early last July as well. I was on a business trip in Germany and France. It was challenging just getting around for business meetings, especially in France -- I can't imagine trying to sightsee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_European_heat_waves

Yes July and August can get really hot in Europe.  Even in 2018 when we went on the Midnight Sun cruise in July we had 75 F in Gerainger, Norway and 90's in Greenwich, UK while Europe was having a worse heat wave.  In 2021 we had T-shirt weather in 3 of our Iceland stops while Europe was hotter.  We decided to do our next cruise of 3 weeks in the Med Spain to Greece in February-March so we can walk all day as well as have smaller crowds.  Can always put on a hat and scarf if its cold but even stripping down to naked doesn't give relief from heat.

54 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

If you absolutely must travel during July or August,  to avoid the hottest periods in S. Europe, you could consider cruising (or a land trip) to the UK/Ireland, or Norway,Sacandinavia in general,  Iceland, the Baltic, or any other Northern European country.

Does anyone else think that, after the scorching heat experienced in S Europe this year, bookings for some of these "cooler" destinations will see an increase for next year?

I hope they do so it won’t be as crowded!

57 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Possibly, but there will always those teachers or families with kids in school who want to visit the classical sights of the Med, or the Greek islands.

I see the proposed regulation of pollution in certain of the Norwegian fjords as more of a driver of cruisers toward those areas in the next two summers (2024 and 2025). According to Norway, on January 1, 2026 no ships that are not "zero emissions" will be allowed to cruise some of the popular fjords including Geiranger and Flam. At this moment, not a single large cruise ship would be qualified....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I hope they do so it won’t be as crowded!

Thinking you are totally missing the point here.

Crowds are only one issue but by far the biggest challenge and the most serious issue is the scorching heat which actually discourages visitors and residents from stepping outdoorsat all,  never mind trailing around sightseeing. Quite aside from being a hazard to health for all ages, (can be life threatening) such heat is totally draining and leaves one with zero energy and for some  it can be a struggle to breathe properly.. You might find post #3 on this thread. an interesting read.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2950760-red-warning-heatwave-alerts-issued-for-several-regions-of-spain/#comment-65735820

Several authorities have now stopped outside works and are urging residents and visitors to stay indoors as much as possible for their own safety..

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Thinking you are totally missing the point here.

Crowds are only one issue but by far the biggest challenge and the most serious issue is the scorching heat which actually discourages visitors and residents from stepping outdoorsat all,  never mind trailing around sightseeing. Quite aside from being a hazard to health for all ages, (can be life threatening) such heat is totally draining and leaves one with zero energy and for some  it can be a struggle to breathe properly.. You might find post #3 on this thread. an interesting read.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2950760-red-warning-heatwave-alerts-issued-for-several-regions-of-spain/#comment-65735820

Several authorities have now stopped outside works and are urging residents and visitors to stay indoors as much as possible for their own safety..

I'm well aware.  😒 Hopefully it won't be like this when we go next summer, but if it is we will have to make the most of it. 

16 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

has been raining here for the last week and forecast to continue through next week.  Current temperature is 17°C/63°

in Edinburgh our temps have been slightly lower than average for a number of days now, around 17-19C, but we have been luckier as we have had lots of bright, sunny weather interspersed with quite heavy showers also quite windy at times, but reading and watching all the special reports about the heat in Europe, we are grateful not to be suffering. Apparently it is to do with that pesky Jet Stream which is a regular visitor.  N. Europe is on one side of it, S europe on the other, and until said JS moves, unlikely to be much change in the weather.

On Wednesday evening our daughter  returned from a week in Croatia. She said "it wasn't the best" as they had to spend most of their time in their room with a/c or in the pool.  They didn't manage any sightseeing at all.

• Like 1

We've just taken a round trip cruise on MSC Seaview from Civitavecchia followed by a week in Italy, with the itinerary Rome - Florence - Venice, flying back to the USA from Venice. It was just before the current heat wave. The cruise was from June 28 to July 5, and we flew back on July 13. It was hot throughout, highest temperatures in Florence (around 38C or 100F). We've managed to do a lot of sightseeing, but a lot of it was in air-conditioned museums or cool churches. Even though we liked our trip, we vowed not to repeate a Southern Europe trip in summer (since our daughter has just finished her 3rd grade, this could be a long time). Venice was cooler and generally better due to breeze along the Grand Canal, but of course more humid. I would not count on better conditions next June, or any June after the next one.

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

According to Norway, on January 1, 2026 no ships that are not "zero emissions" will be allowed to cruise some of the popular fjords including Geiranger and Flam. At this moment, not a single large cruise ship would be qualified....

They changed the rule, bio LNG is allowed in the 2 fjords on a transitional basis. The MSC Euribia can already bunker Bio LNG and other shipping companies are also preparing their LNG ships to operate on Bio LNG. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ulsteinvik said:

They changed the rule, bio LNG is allowed in the 2 fjords on a transitional basis. The MSC Euribia can already bunker Bio LNG and other shipping companies are also preparing their LNG ships to operate on Bio LNG. 

I think you posted on the wrong board and thread. This is about the heat wave in Europe.

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I think you posted on the wrong board and thread. This is about the heat wave in Europe.

It IS  actually topic related.

The last paragraph on post #10 was responded to by cruisemom 42 in post #13, prompting the response in post #19. Yikes, Following threads can be quite complicated when they digress, even if it is ever so slightly, especially first thing on a Monday morning! (me),but both posters made valid points as the new regulations will likely affect salings in  ways we are not yet aware of.

Edited by edinburgher

We just flew back to Boston on 7/13.  We were in Rome from the 10th until we left.  It was over 100 every day.  Dry heat but miserable.  In the afternoon you felt like you were going to drop walking around.  We had a 5pm entrance to the Colosseum (only time I could get thanks to their fabulous system) and DH was miserable the entire time.  So many people, so hot, sun beating down.  We walked by the Forum and Palatine Hill but skipped going through them.  We had an 8:30 guided tour of the Vatican on Wednesday.  Figured it would be early so no problem.  It was absolutely packed.  They start the tours earlier.  Wall to wall people.  If there was AC you couldn't feel it in the museum sections.  Thankfully you don't need to have your shoulders covered there but you did in the Sistine Chapel and St Peter's but with the higher ceilings they were much cooler.  Talking to people who live there and they said it normally isn't quite that hot that early in July.  They said that August is unbearable and wouldn't recommend travelling there during that month.  DH is a teacher so we're tied to school schedules when we travel so I feel the pain of only being able to travel when it's bloody hot.  There were lots of places to refill water bottles walking around.  One day the police actually had the shaded section of the Spanish Steps corded off to keep people from sitting on them, it was that bad.  

1 hour ago, gail-s said:

One day the police actually had the shaded section of the Spanish Steps corded off to keep people from sitting on them,

There are actually fines of a few hundred euros issued to anyone sitting on any of the S Steps and there are enforcer,swardens, officials  carefully watching for anyone who dares to sit and to whom they can issue a fine.  From what you wrote, I am thinking that the heat was so intense, and visitors suffering so much from it, that many of them could have been tempted to sit for a few minutes and if there were many of them, they could have outnumbered the "enforcers, wardens, officials" whatever they are called, and to avoid that possible scenario, the shaded steps were completely closed.

But that is only my guess and others may know better.

Edited by edinburgher