Vista - Terrace Cafe hours?

bubbaed

Hello CC community,

Does anyone know what hours the Terrace Cafe is open on Vista? Particularly for breakfast and mid-afternoon snack? We are doing our first O cruise on Vista in December and we tend to be late risers (we're on vacation after all) and usually like a small snack mid-afternoon. Hoping the opening hours align with our preferences.

We just finished our first ever Viking Ocean cruise and were disappointed with the food hours. Breakfast ended promptly at 9:30am with no other options until around noon (waffles in Mamsen's don't count) then no food (other than burgers & hot dogs from the gill) from 2:30 to 6:00pm.

I guess we got spoiled on Princess (our usual) which seemingly has at least one side of the buffet open all the time (breakfast transitions seamlessly to lunch around 11:30am allowing for a great DIY "brunch" experience) plus the 24h International Cafe, and the pool grill & pizza open from 11am to 11pm.

TIA!

Waves is open until 11am   if you cannot make it to the Terrace  for breakfast

Also open until 4pm

Also check Afternoon tea  at 4 to 5pm

Barristas  have snacks  as well

If still peckish room service  24/7

Just remember  Oceania is  not Princess  but you will not starve unless you choose to  😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bubbaed said:

Hello CC community,

Does anyone know what hours the Terrace Cafe is open on Vista? Particularly for breakfast and mid-afternoon snack? We are doing our first O cruise on Vista in December and we tend to be late risers (we're on vacation after all) and usually like a small snack mid-afternoon. Hoping the opening hours align with our preferences.

We just finished our first ever Viking Ocean cruise and were disappointed with the food hours. Breakfast ended promptly at 9:30am with no other options until around noon (waffles in Mamsen's don't count) then no food (other than burgers & hot dogs from the gill) from 2:30 to 6:00pm.

I guess we got spoiled on Princess (our usual) which seemingly has at least one side of the buffet open all the time (breakfast transitions seamlessly to lunch around 11:30am allowing for a great DIY "brunch" experience) plus the 24h International Cafe, and the pool grill & pizza open from 11am to 11pm.

TIA!

Hi Tia, if this is important to you then you might want to make sure you cancel before the penalty phase sets in. Everything you said is pretty much the way Oceania is. Breakfast in the Terrace depends on whether it's a port or sea day, and what time they dock or anchor. Usually between 6-7 am opening and closing around 10am. GDR will be between 7-8am and close around 9:30 depending on opening time. As Lyn said, Waves is open a little later, and you can eat there in the afternoon. They have burgers and hot dogs, and a few other sandwiches. I haven't been on Princess in over 20 years, they were a one and done with me, but I somehow doubt their grill would be as good as Oceania, but if you don't want a burger or similar then you'll be very unhappy. The Terrace is usually open for lunch between 11:30-2. The only 24 hour food availability is room service. 

Oceania is a whole different mindset than mass market lines. It's not for everyone. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 3

You could book a Concierge level cabin so you have access to the Concierge Lounge where you’ll have access to snacks, small sandwiches, coffee, tea, and cookies during the day.

As others have said, there are several ways to get food when the buffet and dining rooms are closed:

Waves Grill

Baristas

Room Service

Also, when you go ashore during the day you can stop at restaurants and grocery stores in port.

It would be difficult to be hungry on an Oceania Cruise.

• Thanks 1

I don't get up early either, but I made it to Terrace or Waves by 10 or 10:30 "food away" times on our last cruise. Vista also has Aquamar Kitchen that is open for breakfast and lunch (sorry, don't know times). Baristas on Vista has a large selection of sweet and savory compared to the other ships; if I need a snack this is my favorite place, especially for the ~1 hour between breakfast/lunch and 1-1.5 hour between Tea and Dinner. The room service menu is better than I expected; the Mezze platter (hummus, etc.) makes a good sharing large snack or small meal.

Sidenote: If you haven't checked out steamboats photos, they are wonderful
https://www.cruisediary.de/vista-restaurants-an-bord/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/15/2023 at 2:31 PM, LHT28 said:

Just remember  Oceania is  not Princess  but you will not starve unless you choose to  😄

Exactly, and that’s a good thing (not being Princess).  The big ship lines tend to offer quantity of options over quality.  

• Like 5

The one thing that I miss on Oceania, that is available on the mainstream lines, is the ability to have a "nightcap" snack after attending late shows...say some herbal tea, with a slice of cake or pie before retiring.  I can get the tea in Horizon, but not any sweets.  On the Insignia, Barista removes snacks at dinner time.  I am hoping that the Barista on Vista offers them 24h, or at least until late night...

Edited by bob brown
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, bob brown said:

The one thing that I miss on Oceania, that is available on the mainstream lines, is the ability to have a "nightcap" snack after attending late shows...say some herbal tea, with a slice of cake or pie before retiring.  I can get the tea in Horizon, but not any sweets.  On the Insignia, Barista removes snacks at dinner time.  I am hoping that the Barista on Vista offers them 24h, or at least until late night...

It is not uncommon to see people going to the Terrace and getting a dessert to take back to their cabin for “ later”. 

One may do this even if dining in the GDR or a Specialty .

This is similar to the people that carry out large second or third breakfasts ( if hobbits 😂) or food for lunch ashore.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

It is not uncommon to see people going to the Terrace and getting a dessert to take back to their cabin for “ later”. 

One may do this even if dining in the GDR or a Specialty .

This is similar to the people that carry out large second or third breakfasts ( if hobbits 😂) or food for lunch ashore.

Yes, I could do that...or order from room service, as well.  But I don't want to go to all that trouble.

What I would like, is to go to Horizon's after the show in the Insignia Lounge, and while watching the "late show" or listening to music, have some tea and a sweet...

The only thing they have now is the salty snacks delivered with drink orders...

12 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Yes, I could do that...or order from room service, as well.  But I don't want to go to all that trouble.

What I would like, is to go to Horizon's after the show in the Insignia Lounge, and while watching the "late show" or listening to music, have some tea and a sweet...

The only thing they have now is the salty snacks delivered with drink orders...

Can Room Service deliver to Horizons, or anywhere else on the ship other that your suite?

11 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Can Room Service deliver to Horizons, or anywhere else on the ship other that your suite?

I have seen butlers make deliveries to other than personal suites, but not room service.

Consider the practicality of a room service attendant roaming around Horizons, on a busy karaoke night, looking for some unknown guest that ordered a piece of cake! 🥴. Does he take the mic and ask the unidentified guest to come forward? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

I have seen butlers make deliveries to other than personal suites, but not room service.

Consider the practicality of a room service attendant roaming around Horizons, on a busy karaoke night, looking for some unknown guest that ordered a piece of cake! 🥴. Does he take the mic and ask the unidentified guest to come forward? 😂

Great  answer. I am laughing. thanks

20 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Room service attendant grabs the mic and belts out, "Will the real cake eater please stand up? Please stand up?"

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2023 at 3:04 PM, halfapair said:

You could book a Concierge level cabin so you have access to the Concierge Lounge where you’ll have access to snacks, small sandwiches, coffee, tea, and cookies during the day.

As others have said, there are several ways to get food when the buffet and dining rooms are closed:

Waves Grill

Baristas

Room Service

Also, when you go ashore during the day you can stop at restaurants and grocery stores in port.

It would be difficult to be hungry on an Oceania Cruise.

I have never seen a sandwich in this lounge EVER....only thing we have encountered are those awful dry-tasteless cookies.....but also, we did not starve!  Just could not figure out why people even bother to go into these lounges?  Other than for soft drinks or coffee.....but we had those unlimited in our stateroom.....so the "allure" of these lounges escapes me....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

I have never seen a sandwich in this lounge EVER........

We have seen the mini sandwiches  in the Concierge  lounge  same as the ones in Barristas

Timing is everything 🙂

• Like 3

On our Sirena cruise last Fall, we were sailing towards Madeira on a beautiful evening. Wife and I took a pleasant walk on the upper deck, and by the outside smoking area, where the caught the distinct whiff of, umm, whiff of ….

Quite possible someone might have had the munchies that evening and created competition for that piece of cake!! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

On our Sirena cruise last Fall, we were sailing towards Madeira on a beautiful evening. Wife and I took a pleasant walk on the upper deck, and by the outside smoking area, where the caught the distinct whiff of, umm, whiff of ….

Quite possible someone might have had the munchies that evening and created competition for that piece of cake!! 😂

Or they wanted to work up an appetite for a pot luck meal in the Terrace cafe. ☘️