Discovery - electrical outlet for CPAP

fluffyclouds

17 minutes ago, RocknRoll22 said:

I don't use a CPAP, so it's not that. It's for normal 120 volt items like my laptop, tablet or phone. I see that some of the transformers on cell phone chargers have a rating up to 240 volt, so apparently they are OK. Just not looking to fry my laptop, so if I convert the 2 pin wall outlet to 120 volt, it's better to be safe then sorry.

I fully understand your concern about the laptop, but I feel fairly confident that if you look on the power brick you will see that it is dual voltage. If not...then you have a fairly unique situation. I've never seen a laptop that was not dual voltage. Regardless...I hope you get everything sorted out to your satisfaction. 

44 minutes ago, RocknRoll22 said:

I don't use a CPAP, so it's not that. It's for normal 120 volt items like my laptop, tablet or phone. I see that some of the transformers on cell phone chargers have a rating up to 240 volt, so apparently they are OK. Just not looking to fry my laptop, so if I convert the 2 pin wall outlet to 120 volt, it's better to be safe then sorry.

As @Rick&Jeannie posted, be sure to check your laptop transformer (or paperwork) to verify that it's 120V only. If you use a converter when it isn't needed, you could still cause damage to your laptop.

Many years ago...I had a patient on CPAP (pre dual voltage machines) that required a fuse to be changed to allow for 220V. I gave the patient the fuses and explained what to do when she got to Europe for her 2 week vacation. The first night in her hotel, she requested and got a converter from the hotel. It killed her CPAP. She ended up without a CPAP for 2 weeks.

44 minutes ago, RocknRoll22 said:

As @Rick&Jeannie posted, be sure to check your laptop transformer (or paperwork) to verify that it's 120V only. If you use a converter when it isn't needed, you could still cause damage to your laptop.

Many years ago...I had a patient on CPAP (pre dual voltage machines) that required a fuse to be changed to allow for 220V. I gave the patient the fuses and explained what to do when she got to Europe for her 2 week vacation. The first night in her hotel, she requested and got a converter from the hotel. It killed her CPAP. She ended up without a CPAP for 2 weeks.

55 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

My first CPAP had the fuses and a switch to change the voltage. I don’t miss those days.

Always read the fine print on the transformer - lots of good information there. 

4 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

As @Rick&Jeannie posted, be sure to check your laptop transformer (or paperwork) to verify that it's 120V only.

I checked the laptop transformer, and it actually is rated up to inputs of 240 volt. That's a surprise, didn't think they would have that tolerance. Learned something new every day...

I wonder if the Sun (and future ships) will have an outlet on the bed wall. There aren't any table lamps so they wouldn't be required. It seems incredibly short-sighted of Princess not to include a bedside outlet for all of the CPAP users.

1 hour ago, RocknRoll22 said:

I checked the laptop transformer, and it actually is rated up to inputs of 240 volt. That's a surprise, didn't think they would have that tolerance. Learned something new every day...

As I suspected...you would be wasting your money on an un-needed converter.  Yes, I learn a LOT from Cruise Critic!

7 hours ago, MommaK2D2 said:

In 2019 I remember that upon request they set us up an extension cord and brought complimentary distilled water.  Are they still doing that?

Yes, they do.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MommaK2D2 said:

In 2019 I remember that upon request they set us up an extension cord and brought complimentary distilled water.  Are they still doing that?

You can request distilled water for a CPAP ahead of time in the Dietary Request section of online check-in (only on Princess' website though, not on the app as far as I can tell).

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2023 at 6:31 PM, BigWaveDave87 said:

This 220 volt outlet is under the bed. I used a outlet adapter so 

I could plug in my CPAP power transformer and not have a extension cord going across the floor. Also I checked to make sure that the transformer was capable of handling the higher voltage that the outlet had. This made using my CPAP machine much easier and with out needing an extension cord.

Hope this helps.

Happy Trails 

IMG_20200210_065822352.thumb.jpg.3396e134397548f21d16232c9389767f.jpg.c1ba98bcc097adc0a34ea7e17f502038.jpg

On 2/3/2024 at 1:25 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I have *always* plugged my CPAP into the "hidden" out(s) behind the bed.  I take a "European-style" 2 prong adapter that lets me plug in whatever was originally plugged in there and also gives a "US-style" socket.  No trip hazards using extension cords!

Ship Power Adapter.jpg

This was a game changer for us. I used to use tape and an extension cord but now use this method. Mahalo for the information! We plug in a small plug bar to the adapter and run an extension cord to each side of the bed. From the bathroom side of the bed, we run a taped extension cord around the corner into the closet so my wife has power in the bathroom for her water pic. I have power for my Bipap. We pull out the bed to insert plug.

Edited by Yehootu

4 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Sure beats the cord on the floor technique. Found painters tape better than duct tape.

Island Princess Duct Tape.png

Cord on the floor.png

The ship provided extension cord is way too big and clumsy. I bring my own and since I sleep on the side of the bed on the opposite side of the bed from the usual connection I simply side the cord behind the extra pillows and remove it during the day