Quesions about "Chef's Table" dining experience

Boiler Cruiser

I was recently on the Royal Princess and took notice of the Chef's Table meal going on near me one evening.

My wife and I are interested in possibly taking advantage of the opportunity, but I have a few questions.  We will be sailing next year on the Emerald Princess and Caribbean Princess for 10 & 14 day itineraries respectively.

So here are my questions:

1)  Where does the "Chef's Table" take place on the Emerald & Caribbean? 

2)  Do you eat in a room separate from the dining room?  Is it in a screened-off area in one of the dining rooms?

3)  What is the current fee for the "Chef's Table"?

4)  What beverages are included with the fee?

5)  Can you make reservations on the Medallion App?  If so, how?

6)  Is there a "Chef's Table" dinner more than once on a cruise?

7)  Do they give priority to Platinum or Elite members to make reservations?

If you have had the opportunity of attending a "Chef's Table", what was you experience like?

Thanks.

Edited by Boiler Cruiser
Change the title

• Boiler Cruiser changed the title to Quesions about "Chef's Table" dining experience
3 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

1)  Where does the "Chef's Table" take place on the Emerald & Caribbean? 

2)  Do you eat in a room separate from the dining room?  Is it in a screened-off area in one of the dining rooms?

On pre-Royal Class ships, it is held at a table in one of the mid-ship DR's.  There is no setup like the Royal Class and no screened area. 

4 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

5)  Can you make reservations on the Medallion App?  If so, how?

6)  Is there a "Chef's Table" dinner more than once on a cruise?

No, you must call the Dine Line, visit or call Guest Services, or speak with DRO or a DR Mgr and ask to be put on the invitation list.  They decide who to invite and you find out a couple of days letter.  Best to ask as soon as possible after boarding, or seek out DR Mgr at the first lunch in DR. 

The number will depend on demand from guests, length of the voyage, and capacity of Chef's team and DRO to hold the dinners.  You might get two on the 10-night, but your 14-nights is really 2 x 7-night and I'd only expect one each week at most.

8 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

7)  Do they give priority to Platinum or Elite members to make reservations?

IDK if we really know this.  I used to think they consider if someone has not done it yet, but many members here report repeated experiences.  I wouldn't be surprised if Suite guests get some preference.  I can say that I used to submit our name for the old Winemaker's Dinner and always got an invite (but now it is supposed to be super-expensive and more $$ than the CT).

12 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

3)  What is the current fee for the "Chef's Table"?

Read more about CT here:  https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/

Scroll down to find it and a document pops up.  Although not stated, the pricing for Royal Class is higher than pre-Royal Class as the former is CT Lumiere and a more elevated experience.  There is also a discount for non-alcohol participants.  I don't want to quote prices as they may have changed with recent increases and someone with current experience will likely chime in.

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Read more about CT here:  https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/

Scroll down to find it and a document pops up.  Although not stated, the pricing for Royal Class is higher than pre-Royal Class as the former is CT Lumiere and a more elevated experience.  There is also a discount for non-alcohol participants.  I don't want to quote prices as they may have changed with recent increases and someone with current experience will likely chime in.

The new Caymus Winemakers Dinner is $140/pp however the original version on Royal-class ships in a Wine Cellar area of a dining room still shows available at a $5 increase…$45.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/food-and-dining/dining-options.pdf

Lumiere (Ring of Lights on Royal-class ships): $130 per person with wine $115 per person without

Regular CT on other ships in a dining room: $110 per person with wine $100 per person without

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

The new Caymus Winemakers Dinner is $140/pp however the original version still shows available at a $5 increase…$45.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/food-and-dining/dining-options.pdf

Ah yes, I am familiar with that document and should answer the OP's pricing question.

That said, I wonder if this latest version was prepared before the Caymus announcement, or does not include the Caymus experience since it has not started as yet?  Or, have they scrapped it altogether?  We have no reports on CC Princess forum about anyone attending such an event and I am sure we would have if someone went.  May as well do the CT for $130 instead. 

I don't see why they would keep an "old" WMD offer if/when they introduce the new one and expect people to pony up over 3X the cash.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Ah yes, I am familiar with that document and should answer the OP's pricing question.

That said, I wonder if this latest version was prepared before the Caymus announcement, or does not include the Caymus experience since it has not started as yet?  Or, have they scrapped it altogether?  We have no reports on CC Princess forum about anyone attending such an event and I am sure we would have if someone went.  May as well do the CT for $130 instead. 

I don't see why they would keep an "old" WMD offer if/when they introduce the new one and expect people to pony up over 3X the cash.

They were only offering WMD on Royal class ships with the wine cellar area in the MDR.  OP is going on Caribbean and Emerald Princess ships.  IDK if those will have a WMD.  They do have the CT though.

44 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

On the Ruby Princess there is a section in Sabatinis on deck 16 designated for the Chefs table.  On one of our recent cruises (15 day Hawaii) they had two nights

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

They were only offering WMD on Royal class ships with the wine cellar area in the MDR.  OP is going on Caribbean and Emerald Princess ships.  IDK if those will have a WMD.  They do have the CT though.

They won't have the legacy WMD on pre-Royal Class ships.  They used to sometimes have a special theme night dinner in Sabitini's on occasion on some ships.  If they ever do start the announced new one, it was stated to be on the other ships as well.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I won’t pay $140 for the Caymus WMD and wonder how many others would purchase it resulting in eliminating the original WMD. Hopefully someone posts if that $45 version is still available. 🤞

On every RC-class ship we go to the WMD & maybe the Caymus version will be like the more expensive Super Tuscan dinner which is rarely offered guessing due to the price. On Royal Princess’ inaugural TA in 2013 we attended the ST tasting with hot freshly made snacks for about $50 in Sabatini’s. 

A couple of comments that may or may not address some of the OP's questions.

We have participated in two Chef's Table dinners.

The first one was on the Crown Princess (sister ship of the Emerald Princess), and, as another poster has stated, it was at a special table in the Deck 6 dining room.  We had just been elevated to the Captain's Circle Platinum level.  On embarkation day I called the DINE line as soon as we reached our cabin--probably, about 11:45 am.  The DINE line is, of course, "slammed" on embarkation day, and, so. I did sit on hold for a few minutes.  No big deal.  I doubt if I waited more than 10 minutes.  I made  my request for the Chef and also made a specialty restaurant reservation.

Our second CT was on the Royal Princess.  The poster who suggested that suite passengers were given preference may be on to something,  We were in a full suite for that cruise.  On embarkation day we went to the Suite Concierge Lounge (available only on the Royal Class ships) and had the concierge submit our name for the Chef's Table and also arrange for specialty restaurant dinner.

Regarding beverages Champagne is offered with hors d'oeuvres.  Pre-pandemic, this was in the galley,  It is not clear to me whether or not they have returned to that practice.  Once you have started your dinner at the table a still white wine an a still red wine are opened.  It has been my experience that these wines have been off the standard wine list, and they are mid-priced wines.  I had coffee with dessert.  I assume that tea was also available.  Bottled water is served throughout the meal.  I would not be surprised if other soft drinks are available, but I really don't know.

We were not particularly impressed with the "curtain of lights" that are drawn around the table on the Royal Class ships.  Mrs. XBGuy just thought it was silly.  I, being the egomaniac that I am, prefer the experience on the other ships where you are seated at what is obviously a special table.  I want the other diners in the room to see that I am at the special table. 

The Chef's Table Lumiere on does feature a very beautiful sculptured glass centerpiece on the table.  The Maitre d' will, of course. point out how expensive it was as you are being seated,  On the other hand, at our first Chef's Table on the Crown princess we actually had lighted candles on our table.  I was very surprised when the Maitre d' pulled a lighter out of his pocket and lit them.  I cannot believe that is normal Chef's Table practice.

You did not ask, but I might point out that the accommodation of dietary restrictions for the Chef's table depend on the management staff of each ship.  I have read multiple reports, here on Cruise Critic, where dietary restrictions (e.g., seafood allergies) have been accommodated.  I can give you a first hand report that that is not always the case.  Prior to attending our first Chef's Table, we had to sign documents stating that we had no food allergies.  So, I tell people who have such allergies to go ahead and make your request for a Chef's Table invitation.  If you do receive an invitation, you can then ask about accommodation of your allergy.

A couple more personal observations on our two experiences.

You will be joining a group of 10-12 other passengers.  On our first experience we were with some pretty competitive travelers/diners.  One would tell of visiting this exclusive resort as two others had to stifle themselves for a couple minutes before they could get the floor and tell of a restaurant that they loved.  It just brought down the experience a bit.  Happily on our second Chef's Table, we had a very pleasant group who were very happy to enjoy the moment with the meal and their fellow passengers.

As mentioned above the galley tour that starts the Chef's Table was discontinued after the pandemic pause, and is not clear to me that it has been reinstated.  The galley tour is quite interesting and goes into much more detail than any other galley tours that I have experienced.  However, I am not a big fan of the practice of serving the hors d'oeuvres and Champagne in the galley.  I just don't particularly enjoy it.  On one of my experiences we assembled around a stainless steel prep table and I, at the very end of the table, had to be careful where I stood.  There was a puddle of water, that I had difficulty avoiding.  My feet ended up getting pretty cold.  Then I had trouble hearing whatever the chef was saying as he was preparing or presenting each individual dish.  I know a large majority of Chef's Table participants think that having hors d'oeuvres in the galley is the absolute berries.  So, I suspect that if this practice has not already been reinstated, then it will be some time in the future.

All in all, I always encourage people who have not experienced the Chef's Table to try it and decided for themselves.

My exposition was a bit "stream of consciousness."  I hope it answered some questions, and, to be honest, I hope it brought more questions to your mind.  Feel free to ask more questions.  We love to show off.

Bon appetit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

A couple of comments that may or may not address some of the OP's questions.

We have participated in two Chef's Table dinners.

The first one was on the Crown Princess (sister ship of the Emerald Princess), and, as another poster has stated, it was at a special table in the Deck 6 dining room.  We had just been elevated to the Captain's Circle Platinum level.  On embarkation day I called the DINE line as soon as we reached our cabin--probably, about 11:45 am.  The DINE line is, of course, "slammed" on embarkation day, and, so. I did sit on hold for a few minutes.  No big deal.  I doubt if I waited more than 10 minutes.  I made  my request for the Chef and also made a specialty restaurant reservation.

Our second CT was on the Royal Princess.  The poster who suggested that suite passengers were given preference may be on to something,  We were in a full suite for that cruise.  On embarkation day we went to the Suite Concierge Lounge (available only on the Royal Class ships) and had the concierge submit our name for the Chef's Table and also arrange for specialty restaurant dinner.

Regarding beverages Champagne is offered with hors d'oeuvres.  Pre-pandemic, this was in the galley,  It is not clear to me whether or not they have returned to that practice.  Once you have started your dinner at the table a still white wine an a still red wine are opened.  It has been my experience that these wines have been off the standard wine list, and they are mid-priced wines.  I had coffee with dessert.  I assume that tea was also available.  Bottled water is served throughout the meal.  I would not be surprised if other soft drinks are available, but I really don't know.

We were not particularly impressed with the "curtain of lights" that are drawn around the table on the Royal Class ships.  Mrs. XBGuy just thought it was silly.  I, being the egomaniac that I am, prefer the experience on the other ships where you are seated at what is obviously a special table.  I want the other diners in the room to see that I am at the special table. 

The Chef's Table Lumiere on does feature a very beautiful sculptured glass centerpiece on the table.  The Maitre d' will, of course. point out how expensive it was as you are being seated,  On the other hand, at our first Chef's Table on the Crown princess we actually had lighted candles on our table.  I was very surprised when the Maitre d' pulled a lighter out of his pocket and lit them.  I cannot believe that is normal Chef's Table practice.

You did not ask, but I might point out that the accommodation of dietary restrictions for the Chef's table depend on the management staff of each ship.  I have read multiple reports, here on Cruise Critic, where dietary restrictions (e.g., seafood allergies) have been accommodated.  I can give you a first hand report that that is not always the case.  Prior to attending our first Chef's Table, we had to sign documents stating that we had no food allergies.  So, I tell people who have such allergies to go ahead and make your request for a Chef's Table invitation.  If you do receive an invitation, you can then ask about accommodation of your allergy.

A couple more personal observations on our two experiences.

You will be joining a group of 10-12 other passengers.  On our first experience we were with some pretty competitive travelers/diners.  One would tell of visiting this exclusive resort as two others had to stifle themselves for a couple minutes before they could get the floor and tell of a restaurant that they loved.  It just brought down the experience a bit.  Happily on our second Chef's Table, we had a very pleasant group who were very happy to enjoy the moment with the meal and their fellow passengers.

As mentioned above the galley tour that starts the Chef's Table was discontinued after the pandemic pause, and is not clear to me that it has been reinstated.  The galley tour is quite interesting and goes into much more detail than any other galley tours that I have experienced.  However, I am not a big fan of the practice of serving the hors d'oeuvres and Champagne in the galley.  I just don't particularly enjoy it.  On one of my experiences we assembled around a stainless steel prep table and I, at the very end of the table, had to be careful where I stood.  There was a puddle of water, that I had difficulty avoiding.  My feet ended up getting pretty cold.  Then I had trouble hearing whatever the chef was saying as he was preparing or presenting each individual dish.  I know a large majority of Chef's Table participants think that having hors d'oeuvres in the galley is the absolute berries.  So, I suspect that if this practice has not already been reinstated, then it will be some time in the future.

All in all, I always encourage people who have not experienced the Chef's Table to try it and decided for themselves.

My exposition was a bit "stream of consciousness."  I hope it answered some questions, and, to be honest, I hope it brought more questions to your mind.  Feel free to ask more questions.  We love to show off.

Bon appetit.

Great review of the CT.  I’ll add, the wine throughout dinner was free flowing and a great experience for guests to try the dinner.  At least once!

• Like 1

Had a great experience at CT on Sky 6/17-7/1. I was only gold and in a mini-suite so no status and no suite preference. $130 with wine, well worth it. I requested immediately on boarding. 
That said like Carnival’s CT better as you can reserve a spot and pay before boarding. No wondering if you’ll be chosen and the experience was equal.

On 7/16/2023 at 3:25 PM, XBGuy said:

As mentioned above the galley tour that starts the Chef's Table was discontinued after the pandemic pause, and is not clear to me that it has been reinstated. 

On our CT (Sky Nov 22) we started with the galley tour.  Chef told us it was the first Galley tour since the restart.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1