How many formal nights?

Mrs_Tiki

8 minutes ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

DH and I are taking our first Seabourn cruise in October, an 8-night Pacific Coast itinerary on the Odyssey. How many formal nights should we expect?

One formal night and the dress code only applies to those eating in The Restaurant.

Nancy

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Here we go again.  😄

I hate to say it--and I have changed my mind about this--but the idea of a formal night is beginning to seem a bit archaic.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarciAnn said:

I thought Seabourn did away with formal nights years ago.  Is that not correct?

They are now formal optional and more likely for those dining in the Restaurant as @nancygp mentioned. The crew wear their more formal uniforms and they usually have either more classic fine dining menu choices or Chef's dinner menu.

You don't have to dress formal but My husband and I do because we like too and we focus on ourselves now not what others are wearing. Though I must admit I have enjoyed seeing some of the fashion both on men and women.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarciAnn said:

Thanks for the info Frantic36.  We will be on an expedition cruise and can’t imagine taking anything approaching formal!

Expedition cruises don't have formal nights from what I understand. Have a good cruise. Friends who have recently done Venture really enjoyed it.

Is There A Dress Code?

Attire During the Day: 

• During the daytime, casual, resort-style attire, including shorts and jeans, is welcome in all lounges and dining venues. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside, on deck or in the spa and fitness center. 

In the evening (after 6pm): Elegant Casual. The following is the nightly dress standard for all dining venues: 

• Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional. Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress. Elegant jeans are welcome in all dining venues. 

Formal: 

Seabourn Odyssey, Seabourn Sojourn, Seabourn Quest, Seabourn Encore, Seabourn Ovation 

• In the Restaurant, Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required. Ladies: evening gown or other formal apparel. Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual. Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in the Restaurant after 6pm. 

The itinerary in the preliminary document booklet will inform you of the number of Formal evenings to expect during your voyage. As a rule of thumb, Formal evenings are scheduled as follows: 

• Seabourn Venture and Seabourn Pursuit: Zero Formal Evenings 

• Cruises up to 13 days: One Formal evening 

• Cruises of 14 to 20 days: Two Formal evenings 

• Cruises of 21 or more days: Three Formal evenings 

(Note: World Cruises, Grand Voyages, Holiday voyages and Crossings may be scheduled differently.) 

• Thanks 1

From Seabourn site:

Elegant Casual
• Men: slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket optional
• Ladies: slacks / skirt, blouse, pantsuit or dress.
• Jeans are not appropriate in The Restaurant after 6pm
• Elegant jeans are welcome in all dining venues.

My read of that is that elegant jeans are welcome in all dining venues, but ordinary non-elegant jeans are not welcome in the Restaurant after 6pm.  Seabourn not helping matters.  

7 hours ago, whirldcruzrs said:

Sometimes in the price and style as well.  

I love fashion and I can guarantee with some fashion it may be considered haute couture and the price reflect that but it isn't necessarily elegant.😁

• Like 2

@frantic36  Just wondering how one gets to be a self-anointed fashionista.  I have not been on CC for a couple of years at least and it does seem to be the same old same old (literally??) complaining about jeans.  I sure hope you are able to enjoy your cruises despite having other passengers not adhering to your particular interpretation of the dress code.  

1 hour ago, whirldcruzrs said:

@frantic36  Just wondering how one gets to be a self-anointed fashionista.  I have not been on CC for a couple of years at least and it does seem to be the same old same old (literally??) complaining about jeans.  I sure hope you are able to enjoy your cruises despite having other passengers not adhering to your particular interpretation of the dress code.  

Okay, interesting how you interpreted my comment? I said I enjoyed dressing up as we don't get much chance here where I live. I also said I no longer worry how others are dressed though I do enjoy seeing some of the different fashion. That's because there is a wide range of passengers from other countries and they have fashion brands that we don't have where I live.

As for self-anointed fashionista that made me LOL. Having just got back from walking the dog and wearing my usual comfy clothes I am nowhere near a fashionista 😂.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

Okay, interesting how you interpreted my comment? I said I enjoyed dressing up as we don't get much chance here where I live. I also said I no longer worry how others are dressed though I do enjoy seeing some of the different fashion. That's because there is a wide range of passengers from other countries and they have fashion brands that we don't have where I live.

As for self-anointed fashionista that made me LOL. Having just got back from walking the dog and wearing my usual comfy clothes I am nowhere near a fashionista 😂.

No heels and a dress on the dog walk Julie? 😀

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2023 at 8:58 PM, stan01 said:

My read of that is that elegant jeans are welcome in all dining venues, but ordinary non-elegant jeans are not welcome in the Restaurant after 6pm. 

I noticed the same disconnect between the info you posted and the info posted by @Dunnedg just above yours. I mentioned this to the Seabourn consultant I booked with and she told me she was also aware of it and had reported it to the web team to be fixed. She assured me that jeans are fine in the Restaurant every night except Formal night, and it was clear that we were talking about standard jeans, not some designer fashion jeans.

I have been on several seabourn cruises and always make a point to note “formal or elegant” night attire.  This is my reporti from my last cruise to Canada and New England:

Women’s attire much harder to classify. But many long dresses /skirts.  Lots of sequins   Clearly a cut above even “dressy” category.  While not all would be what is usually considered “formal”, there were very few that I would consider under dressed for the “formal” standard. 

men’s attire is easier to classify.  Maybe 3-4%  true formal - meaning out of 100 men in the restaurant, there were 3 or 4 in tuxes or formal dinner jackets.  Men in suits and ties, about 20%.  Jacket and ties- 30%.  Jackets no ties. 30%. The rest -15% or so - were just pants and shirts.  

I saw no jeans in the restaurant on formal night. 

fwiw - I was one of the “formal” ones: white dinner jacket and black Bow tie. 

• Like 1