Worth exploring Civitavecchia?

babs135

Whilst we haven't ruled out going to Rome it also seems a bit of a shame not to explore the port itself.  Is there plenty to see?  I've started to do some research but it's always nice to hear from people who've been there.

Thanks.

There is nothing spectacular to see like in Rome but you certainly may spend a couple of nice hours there.

Around the port there are the Fort Michelangelo, fountains and monuments. The cathedrale from 1600 something is worth a visit just like a few other churches. A small archeological museum waits for you. 

You may stroll the streets and enjoy the Italian way of life in an rather untouristy, unspoiled way, maybe vist the market. Explore the many squares, the remains of the walls, archways and portals.

A taxi drive away but still within the city limits are the Terme Taurin, the remains of Roman baths. 

Even a small beach is right next to the port.

• Like 4

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed spending 24hrs in Civitavecchia. Some pleasant shops, museums, not at all touristy and loads of great restaurants and bars. I don't know if it is only on Fri/Sat, or every night, but while we were there, there was also a great street food vibe on the seafront by the big wheel in the evening. 

• Like 6

We enjoyed it too.  Having been to Rome a lot (and more recently having spent a week there) we didn't want to suffer the bus ride into Rome and back.  So we browsed around Civitavecchia.  We were lucky because the weekly market was on.  That was fascinating.  The centre is very very pretty with a lot of small boutiques etc and some cafés and restaurants.  Anyone who says it isn't interesting has never been into the centre...  And it is only a short (3-5 mns) walk from the entrance to the port too.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

We enjoyed it too.  Having been to Rome a lot (and more recently having spent a week there) we didn't want to suffer the bus ride into Rome and back.  So we browsed around Civitavecchia.  We were lucky because the weekly market was on.  That was fascinating.  The centre is very very pretty with a lot of small boutiques etc and some cafés and restaurants.  Anyone who says it isn't interesting has never been into the centre...  And it is only a short (3-5 mns) walk from the entrance to the port too.

I have been into the center and walked along the promenade, more than once and I still say -- relative to all of the other amazing choices -- it is uninteresting. I have also been to Rome numerous times, yet always, always manage to find something else to see and do there that easily trumps the best Civitavecchia has to offer.

• Like 2

We are on a B2B in November 2024.  The ship is in port from 7-3 so I'm thinking there isn't really enough time to go into Rome. So we are looking for ideas for that day.

31 minutes ago, ldog said:

We are on a B2B in November 2024.  The ship is in port from 7-3 so I'm thinking there isn't really enough time to go into Rome. So we are looking for ideas for that day.

I found a tour on ToursByLocals of the Etruscan countryside from Civi for the turnaround day on a B2B for early December of this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

we rein Civitiveccia now for 1 day/night ahead of catching our cruiseship tomorrow

we are staying in Il Borghetto guest house 5 minutes from th port which is well recommended

there is a tourist guide in the room which suggests a walk round taking in the medievel streets and round the harbour

its a seaside town with hotels and beaches frequeted by locals-I wouldnt suggest a long stay here but enough to filll in a day and we will check out a local restaurant tonight

• 2 weeks later...

Head to Rome.  I recommend heading to train station, grab a ticket ( cheap) and enjoy a comfortable train ride into Rome.   Rome has so much to see and do, even if you skip all the main tourist sites, there’s still so much around every corner. 

• Like 1

We are scheduled to port at Civitaveccia on Oct. 20th.  There is a national transportation strike for (if I'm reading it right) public & private transportation.  Both train & bus/taxi.  I'm very interested in what to do within walking distance from the ship in this port, as our hopes of making it to Rome are seeming to dwindle.

30 minutes ago, kadedid said:

We are scheduled to port at Civitaveccia on Oct. 20th.  There is a national transportation strike for (if I'm reading it right) public & private transportation.  Both train & bus/taxi.  I'm very interested in what to do within walking distance from the ship in this port, as our hopes of making it to Rome are seeming to dwindle.

Oh what rotten luck!  Keep checking to see if it is called off or moved to another date -- it happens with some frequency.

Here is a page from the Civitavecchia port website with things to do in and around Civitavecchia. Not all of them are walkable but maybe they'll provide some ideas:

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/travel-tips/civitavecchia-and-surroundings

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Oh what rotten luck!  Keep checking to see if it is called off or moved to another date -- it happens with some frequency.

Here is a page from the Civitavecchia port website with things to do in and around Civitavecchia. Not all of them are walkable but maybe they'll provide some ideas:

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/travel-tips/civitavecchia-and-surroundings

Thank you, cruisemom42!

we found Civitiveccia to be a quaint and easily accessible town and our hotel was very central

however the port shuttle is a mess

we walked the 10 minutes with our suitcases from hotel to shuttle service within port-we could see ship close by but no walkway to get there

once shuttle bus arrived we got on only to betransferred all way along to bus station at other end where had to join long line to board another bus

this took us back past stop we had been an hour earlier going in opposite direction!

this was free service but would have been better to book taxi direct from hotel to ship

The shuttle bus service at Civitavecchia is very specific, you walked to an internal stop that doesn't pick up passengers going to cruise ships.  The only way to get a bus to the ship is to start at Largo della Pace, which is presumably where the first bus dropped you off.  

On 7/19/2023 at 4:01 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I have been into the center and walked along the promenade, more than once and I still say -- relative to all of the other amazing choices -- it is uninteresting. I have also been to Rome numerous times, yet always, always manage to find something else to see and do there that easily trumps the best Civitavecchia has to offer.

depends what you are looking for I suppose.  In my case - it happened to be market day.  I love markets and especially Italian ones for the colourful fruit and veg.   We also really liked the town.  But we weren't looking for the Colosseum or the Vatican.  "Been there, done that" sort of thing.

• Like 2