Favorite food item on HAL

m921759

I enjoyed the Crispy Duck in Tamarind.  Otherwise, I enjoyed putting together my own salad using the salad bar, fish or chicken from the grill, and some of the little side salads.  That is what makes the Lido my go-to for meals.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I enjoyed the Crispy Duck in Tamarind.  Otherwise, I enjoyed putting together my own salad using the salad bar, fish or chicken from the grill, and some of the little side salads.  That is what makes the Lido my go-to for meals.  

Same. At lunch the lido salad with the seared ahi is my absolute go to. I try to catch up on my veggie consumption with that one bowl 🙂

• Like 4

Wasabi & Soy crusted Beef Tenderloin at Tamarind.

I love Smoked Salmon for Breakfast (though the first day in CO, I ordered "salmon with cream cheese, no bagel" and they brought me a piece of broiled salmon that I was sure was left over from the night before.) 😁

DH loves Eggs Benedict

We both love the Oatmeal Raisin cookies from the Lido!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

Ask for two scoops of the sauce.......Incredibly delicious.

The bread pudding & sauce goes very well with a scoop of ice cream on the side.  I usually go for a scoop of strawberry with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The miso soup in Nami/Tamarind has been outstanding (NS, and K), and has a smoky bonito edge. It may be the best miso soup we've had, and we eat a lot of Japanese food.

Dive in burgers, when made properly, are excellent. We had one cruise (NS in November) where they were weirdly bad, but on all other HA cruises they've been fantastic. The fries are also great on the cruises we've been on. The curry dog was also weirdly great, and the other dogs taste good but are too messy for me.

The curries in the Lido (port side, at one end of the far away lands station) were fantastic on our last few cruises. Lots of other gems in the Lido, too.

The lobster Mac at the Pinnacle, the wedge salad w/blue cheese, and the creme brûlée have always been excellent.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

Every place there uses Old Bay 🥴 Or at least it seems that way.  
do they use it onboard?

We love Old Bay in Baltimore but I did not taste anything in the crabcakes on HAL.  I mean anything, they were flavorless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Spiced Pork Belly (when executed just right) and the Chile Releno in the MDR are two favourites.

Also getting a waffle from the waffle station in the Lido and taking it to the eggs benedict station and having the benedict built on top of the waffle.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, 0106 said:

We love Old Bay in Baltimore but I did not taste anything in the crabcakes on HAL.  I mean anything, they were flavorless.

I pack a can of Old Bay for every cruise.  I put it on almost everything.  To me, HAL food could use more seasoning. I had my first crab cake in Baltimore - and every crab cake I have had since then has been a disappointment.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, syesmar said:

I like the Wasabi & Soy Crusted Beef Tenderloin in Tamarind.

Back when HAL gave recipe cards out at Cooking Demonstrations, I never threw any away so I have enough for a good-sized cookbook. I do not have the recipe for their Tamale Cake appetizer, though. Does anyone have it? I always enjoyed that dish.

I always enjoyed Chicken a la King at the Royal Dutch High Tea back in the day.

I love HAL’s variety of chocolate cakes, especially the one served in the Lido during lunch on the first day, and the one with raspberries, and the one on the In Room Dining menu…and the one… haha….

Oh, remember the recipe cards from the cooking demos. So much fun! Loved all that humor too! I saved them too...too precious to toss. Remember Amanda, the hostess? We would share a blue moon later on. She was very talented and  it was a loss when HAL discontinued those cooking show!

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 1:24 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Surprised no one has yet mentioned the late (and long) lamented fruit soups.

(Sorry but if its liquid and sweet, it belongs in a glass! 😆)

I think I got one of those on Celebrity about 15 years ago. Asked for a shot of vodka to add to it. It was already tasty, the shot just made it even better

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, cruisn71 said:

The Spiced Pork Belly (when executed just right) and the Chile Releno in the MDR are two favourites.

Also getting a waffle from the waffle station in the Lido and taking it to the eggs benedict station and having the benedict built on top of the waffle.

We love the chile relleno too! It was such a pleasant surprise!

• Like 2

On 7/17/2023 at 12:36 PM, lcand1923 said:

I am addicted to the Raisin Buns served in the Lido at breakfast time! 

In Dutch its called a Krentenbroodje.  I'll stick to calling it a Raisen Bun though.  Its one of my all time favorites.  The quality can change from ship to ship.  Once on the Amsterdam the cook must have double ordered raisins because the rolls were loaded and soo good.  

Also special mention should be for the Panama Rolls, which are only served on day your in the canal.

• Like 5

On 7/19/2023 at 6:41 AM, syesmar said:

Back when HAL gave recipe cards out at Cooking Demonstrations, I never threw any away so I have enough for a good-sized cookbook. I do not have the recipe for their Tamale Cake appetizer, though. Does anyone have it? I always enjoyed that dish.

I have scanned 25 of these cards and 11 cards more to scan for my Culinary Arts recipe collection.  My recipe collection also has lots of scanned America's Test Kitchen "how to" leaflets.  I am willing to share and would enjoy building a much larger collection to share with the help of CC members.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedmondCruiser said:

In Dutch its called a Krentenbroodje.  I'll stick to calling it a Raisen Bun though.  Its one of my all time favorites.  The quality can change from ship to ship.  Once on the Amsterdam the cook must have double ordered raisins because the rolls were loaded and soo good.  

Also special mention should be for the Panama Rolls, which are only served on day your in the canal.

We were onboard for Easter and they made the raison buns into hot cross buns. So yummy.

IMG_8451.jpeg

IMG_8452.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/17/2023 at 5:13 PM, BetsyS. said:

FlaMariner - I agree with you. I loved the pea soup at Dutch Cafe on Niew Statendam. 

My stepfather got the bread pudding for dessert at Lido every day at lunch.

My husband is also a big fan of the bread pudding.

• Like 3

Ok other big hits for me on my recent cruises...

Tomato Bisque (MDR)

Cod fish & chips (MDR)

#1 was probably the Smoked Salmon & Crab Cakes (MDR Alaska brunch)

Wedge salad (Pinnacle)
Bread pudding, PG Creme Brulee, Chocolate Soufle, Lava Cake... I have a sweet tooth.

My 10 year old's choices: clothesline bacon, steak, steak, steak, pavlova. 

I truly miss the parmesan crusted chicken.

• Like 4

On 7/18/2023 at 11:54 AM, RD64 said:

There is a French Eggs Benedict or perhaps it was called Parisian - but it was very good as well.

Do you remember what was on it?  I've tried some variations, like florentine (spinach) but not others like crab (not my thing.)

• Like 1

loveandpeas- I also have a sweet tooth. I love the bread pudding, creme brulee, chocolate souffle and lava cake too. 😊   If the fruit crisps were not on the menu in MDR at dinner, I would ask for them. The waiters put vanilla ice cream on top!