Favorite food item on HAL

m921759

23 hours ago, lcand1923 said:

If you want to start an argument among a certain segment of Marylanders, ask if they prefer Old Bay or J&O seasoning in their crab cakes.  Old Bay’s market has expanded greatly, but J&O is somewhat a “still within the Beltway” area.  There is a taste difference, but both are good.  Regarding the crab cake recipe provided by Chef Kreiger, as my Mom would say, “Every good crab cake must have parsley!”  (Other than that omission, I would say the recipe should provide a decent crab cake.)u 

My late DH was a life long MD native.  He always used finely chopped curly parsley in his crab cakes.  I will return to Baltimore for a Ravens game and we always return home to MI with 2 pounds of MD jumbo lump and  5 pound box of gulf shrimp from Gibby's. We are going in September so fingers crossed if the season will still be open.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fox02554 said:

Holiday tradition in our family , daughter-in-laws are already fighting over my mom's cast iron pan Haha , but with one that size I would finialy be able to keep up with the whole family 

I was telling a Danish friend in the US about our own family Danish traditions, because my mother would also put a little slice of apple in each abelscheiver (sp?).

I asked him if this was authentic. He looked at me rather dumbfounded and said...... do you know what "abelscheiver means" )......... Well duh, it means apple slices in Danish!  

PS. Do you separate the eggs and beat the egg whites in your family recipe?

22 hours ago, Crew News said:

Since Old Bay was the subject, I only included those items creating a similar flavor.  Add the following to complete the recipe:  chopped parsley, finely diced celery, finely diced onion, diced red bell pepper, finely diced carrot, Dungeness Crab, beaten eggs, minced green onion, minced garlic, and Panko bread crumbs.

Thanks for giving the full recipe.  Sorry, as far as this Marylander is concerned, that is no longer a good crab cake.  (Guess I’m a Crab Cake snob.  I very seldom order a crab cake outside of MD and don’t even order one in certain areas of the state.  I did, however, get a decent crab cake in Alaska after speaking with the chef regarding the recipe.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IrwinE said:

When I saw this topic come up, the first thing that came to mind was the veal chop served in Club Orange. So good.

Another shout-out for the veal chop!  Wow, was that good.  😋

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

I was telling a Danish friend in the US about our own family Danish traditions, because my mother would also put a little slice of apple in each abelscheiver (sp?).

I asked him if this was authentic. He looked at me rather dumbfounded and said...... do you know what "abelscheiver means" )......... Well duh, it means apple slices in Danish!  

I've lived Denmark for 13+ years and I've never had æbleskiver in Denmark that actually have apples in them. Not store-bought, homemade, or at a cafe 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, philbob84 said:

I read somewhere about a special pastery they would give in panama?

Panama buns are custard and peach-filled pastry served for breakfast and on the observation decks while passing through the locks. They are hidden amongst all of the breakfast pastries so the picture below will help you find them.  Grab a few while at breakfast to be sure they don't run out.

Panama-Buns.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Duck — that’s what I like best of all. In Tamarind and Sel de Mer and even MDR.  It’s hard to find it well-prepared these days in restaurants, so it’s a very special treat.   That and the escargot.

@AncientWanderer you need to cruise with my friend @Tk_cruiser she loves both the duck & escargot,  neither of which I eat. She does quite enjoy them on vaca now that she's cruising on HAL.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ExpatBride said:

I've lived Denmark for 13+ years and I've never had æbleskiver in Denmark that actually have apples in them. Not store-bought, homemade, or at a cafe 🤷‍♀️

A little more online sleuthing does describe the real apple slice origins, but not when they stopped using them ..... in modern times. My Danish side of the family came from the "old country" in the 1800's to Minnesota - and they obviously still included apple slices in their aebleskivers from that migration.

It was always a tradition to put a very large apple and a very large orange in our Christmas stockings, so apples and winter did go together. As children, we ditched the fruit and went for the chocolate Santa but my mother still was very connected to that tradition.  Today, I still make aebleskivers with apple slices - adds a tart little zing in the center to the overall sweetness.  

........"The first Aebleskiver were originally cooked with small pieces of apples or sometimes applesauce as filling, from there they got their name.

However, in the modern Danish kitchen these filling are not included anymore and haven't been for the past many year. For us this is the most original recipe for Aebleskiver, it's super delicious and relatively easy to make. ............

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lcand1923 said:

Thanks for giving the full recipe.  Sorry, as far as this Marylander is concerned, that is no longer a good crab cake.  (Guess I’m a Crab Cake snob.  I very seldom order a crab cake outside of MD and don’t even order one in certain areas of the state.  I did, however, get a decent crab cake in Alaska after speaking with the chef regarding the recipe.)

As I fellow Marylander, I love to order crab dishes in other places just so I can compare them negatively to the blue crabs back home.  I do the same thing with lobster, honestly.  

On 7/22/2023 at 8:49 PM, RuthC said:

Yes, and it's pretty good. Not as good as you would make at home, but it sure beats the cleaning up at home. 

It's better than *I* make at home.  We have some chef friends who brine their turkey for 24 hours, cook it upside down for the first half of a low & slow bake. Then they flip it over for the 2nd.finishing half. Apparently this distributes the juice better.

We've found that the best way to ensure a good Thanksgiving bird is to buy some nice wine and score an invitation to their house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Anybody seen the Snickers Cake in the main dining room lately? 

That was worth the nine million calories.

On a cruise with two other couples, our MDR waiter just walked around the table and said, "Snicker Pie?, Snicker Pie?, Snicker Pie?"  We took the hint and were very glad we did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2023 at 11:03 AM, OlsSalt said:

yes , you don't get fluffy abelscheivers if you don't use stiff egg whits , mom always added a dollop of apple butter to 1/2 of the batch ❤️  of course here in new england this modern grandma added jimmies to the powdered sugar / cardamon sugar / maple suryp dipping options 🤣

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2023 at 11:45 AM, philbob84 said:

I read somewhere about a special pastery they would give in panama?

For those who love the Panama buns here's another picture....taken on Zuiderdam in 2010

IMG_1280.JPG

• Like 3

I think I  was a bit crazy to say a pastrami sandwich was my favorite food. Of course it's not! There's a gazillion things to love, including Rudis dover sole, bread pudding, Dutch cafe quiche, and prime rib once a year only. And breakfast in club orange is divine, so elegant and fine. That rhymes! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Had it last month on the Nieuw Statendam.  It was delicious.

I had it on both Kdam and Vdam earlier this year in PG for lunch and Canaletto for dinner (both starters).  But take a look at the NEW Canaletto menu.  It's not included in the starters any more.☹️ Boarding NAdam tomorrow.  That's one of the first things I'll check on -- or no Canaletto for me.