Ocean Roughness from la to mexico on big ship

latebuyer

I’m thinking of going on the norwegian bliss in march to mazatlan, puerta vallarta, cabo sans lucas and ensenada. I’m wondering how rough the sea would be? I though i recalled before there was one rough spot going to mexico. I’m not sure if march is rougher then other months or is even a good time to go.

Seas can be rough any time, anywhere. You should be prepared every time you board a ship. The size of the ship doesn't really matter, it's the design. 

It is frequently discussed here that northbound back to California from Cabo can be rougher because you are going against the prevailing currents in the area.

• Like 1

We've never had rough seas going to Mexico.  We've gone in the months of November to beginning of July.  Maybe we've just been lucky.  I do know that I wouldn't book end of July through October as that is hurricane season for the area.  Lots of storms pop up in those ports.  

• 3 weeks later...

It is rare for any rough sea issues going south to Mexico.  There is a major ocean current running south from Alaska to a point roughly half way down Baja where it turns west.  There have been reports that ships encounter rough "hobby horse" conditions when northbound in the current and the wind is also out of the north.

This can occur at any time of the year and seems to be driven by a wind out of the north when in the current.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

• 1 month later...