How "good" are the state room Air conditioners?

skindeep

Doing the Italy etc cruise on the Venus in 2025...looking at temps for when we will be there (July) and they are in the 90'sF

Does each stateroom have its own thermostat and are you able to keep the rooms to a temperature of your choosing? 

5 minutes ago, skindeep said:

Doing the Italy etc cruise on the Venus in 2025...looking at temps for when we will be there (July) and they are in the 90'sF

Does each stateroom have its own thermostat and are you able to keep the rooms to a temperature of your choosing? 

Yes! 

Never sailed the Mediterranean in July so I can't speak to how well the HVAC can keep up when faced with extreme heat. Have been to Bermuda in July and our cabin stayed as cold as we wanted it. 

Do note that if you open your balcony door the HVAC turns off.

• Like 2

Oh no worries at all skindeep!  I am somebody who has to have the room be  FREEZING when I sleep and I was very happy with the AC on the Sky in July in the Med.

DH was bundled up like he was in Antarctica though.:classic_laugh:

• Like 1

Does the keycard have to be engaged for heating/air conditioning? if you come back from a freezing Alaska excursion or a blazing hot day in the Mediterranean, does it take awhile to kick in?(going to Alaska in a month and Mediterranean next fall).

10 minutes ago, Murt22 said:

Does the keycard have to be engaged for heating/air conditioning? if you come back from a freezing Alaska excursion or a blazing hot day in the Mediterranean, does it take awhile to kick in?(going to Alaska in a month and Mediterranean next fall).

I think I remember that it does turn off.  We took an old expired plastic charge card and left it in the slot so the AC stayed on while we were gone. 

13 minutes ago, Murt22 said:

Use a dummy key card.  We have an old cruise card we always keep in the slot.  Any old, used up gift card will work too.

1 hour ago, Murt22 said:

On all of our cruises, the steward has put a card in the slot and it was there for the duration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

Use a dummy key card.  We have an old cruise card we always keep in the slot.  Any old, used up gift card will work too.

Also your room attendant will give you a blank card to put in the slot inside the door on wall. We always keep the card in slot and just urn off all lights when we leave stateroom.

The AC  works great. No worries. 

My future curse will be in Feb in 2025 in the Med. , so maybe I will find out if  how the heat works. I do love the heated bathroom floor in bathroom. That too can be turn down or off. 

Ask your room attendant to show you the  ins and outs of the stateroom if this is your first Viking ocean cruise. They re so helpful !

Our cruise in the Middle East had temps around 100F. Our cabin was excellent but we kept the curtains drawn when sun on that side. But the suite next to us had high temp problems that weren't successfully repaired.  Our cabin already had a blank card inserted when we boarded. It was hot outside. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

No worries.  Good enough for whatever you want.  Just keep your slider closed to the balcony.  And get the steward to give you a dummy key card.  We always have to ask for one.  Not automatic.

It's always been "automatic" for us.  Possibly it has to do with the room category, but more likely it's the steward

7 hours ago, duquephart said:

Just forget to turn in a hotel key card and carry that around.

I always unintentionally forget to turn in the hotel key card -- although so many are digital these days.  This would be a good use for them.