For those on the Prima who had Brugge cancelled and had shore excursions and want a refund rather than OBC

ontheweb

12 hours ago, jcscv said:

Thank goodness I read this thread.  I canceled two excursions, 1st because I'm going to do an outside tour, and second was because the port was canceled.  I just checked, and I have not been refunded the money on my credit card for either excursion.  Nor do I show any kind of OBC on my account (although I haven't officially checked in yet).  I'll give them the 10 days, and then start calling. What is so difficult about this?!?!?

That is why I started this thread, to hopefully help others.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Normally, a pre-paid shore excursion cancelled for whatever reason comes back as a refundable OBC. Once that credit is posted to your onboard account, you can immediately go and get cash for it. At the latest, they will not let you disembark with a refundable OBC on your account and the cashier on the gangway will give you cash then. 

When people intervene and not follow the process by trying to get a credit card charge back, that's when things will go sideways because it is not the way a cancelled shore excursion should be refunded. Trying to change the process only causes aggravation for the passenger and the crew who don't understand what you're trying to do. 

The best advice for everyone is that if your a pre-paid shore excursion is cancelled due to a port cancellation, let the normal process work and have the pre-paid shore excursions credit go to your onboard account and let it pay for your expenses or go and get a cash refund from Guest Services. Don't try to do something fancy. Having issues with a post-cruise refund charge back is a self-inflicted wound that was totally unnecessary. 

If a shore excursion is booked onboard and the port is cancelled, the shore excursion is cancelled. All record of the initial charge are removed and you will see no evidence that anything was ever booked.

No credit will every end up as a Future Cruise Credit. 

Red their policy. It is quoted in post #24. A shorex cancelled prior to the cruise will COME BACK TO THE CREDIT CARD. That seems to be pretty plain English. It does NOT say it will be converted to OBC. And to make it even worse, the rep (though I think in error) told me when I asked if it would be refundable or not refundable OBC, non-refundable.

11 hours ago, jcscv said:

It's been a week on one tour since I canceled, and the other was at the beginning of this week, so I'll wait till next week to call and see what's going on. Hopefully they'll post my credit soon  🤞

Have you checked your credit card to see if you have a pending credit from NCL? I have had credits pending (not with NCL but others) for over a week before they hard post to my account. You would be better off calling your credit card company next week to see the transaction status, or just check your credit card online. 

1 hour ago, debenson0723 said:

Have you checked your credit card to see if you have a pending credit from NCL? I have had credits pending (not with NCL but others) for over a week before they hard post to my account. You would be better off calling your credit card company next week to see the transaction status, or just check your credit card online. 

My online account never shows a pending credit, only pending charges. The credit shows up when it is posted. Sometimes, but not always, I do get an e-mail before the credit shows up that I have a credit coming.

22 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I realize that that is not an NCL thing, but I still find it ironic in general that refunds are processed so much slower than charges.

Meanwhile, I got the cancellation of the port e-mail a second time as a forward from my TA. I reread it and it says if you have an excursion booked you do not have to do anything. But I did have to call them and have them change it to a cancellation in order to get it refunded. Otherwise, they were going to give me non refundable OBC as compensation for money I had already paid them and for which they could no longer provide the service I had paid for.

you would have been refunded what yu paid fr the excursion to the same form of payment that you used to pay for it. there was no need to call.

Just now, zqvol said:

you would have been refunded what yu paid fr the excursion to the same form of payment that you used to pay for it. there was no need to call.

No, the e-mail they sent said that it would go to onboard credit. And the rep said the same thing. She had to go to the resolutions department to get it to go to refund by making it me cancelling the excursion rather than NCL cancelling because the port was being skipped.

On 7/21/2023 at 11:11 AM, ontheweb said:

My online account never shows a pending credit, only pending charges. The credit shows up when it is posted. Sometimes, but not always, I do get an e-mail before the credit shows up that I have a credit coming.

i received an e-mail from my credit card company earlier today that I had a refund coming, so it took them a lot less than the 7-10 business days that they said it could take.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 7:14 PM, BirdTravels said:

Normally, a pre-paid shore excursion cancelled for whatever reason comes back as a refundable OBC. Once that credit is posted to your onboard account, you can immediately go and get cash for it. At the latest, they will not let you disembark with a refundable OBC on your account and the cashier on the gangway will give you cash then. 

When people intervene and not follow the process by trying to get a credit card charge back, that's when things will go sideways because it is not the way a cancelled shore excursion should be refunded. Trying to change the process only causes aggravation for the passenger and the crew who don't understand what you're trying to do. 

The best advice for everyone is that if your a pre-paid shore excursion is cancelled due to a port cancellation, let the normal process work and have the pre-paid shore excursions credit go to your onboard account and let it pay for your expenses or go and get a cash refund from Guest Services. Don't try to do something fancy. Having issues with a post-cruise refund charge back is a self-inflicted wound that was totally unnecessary. 

If a shore excursion is booked onboard and the port is cancelled, the shore excursion is cancelled. All record of the initial charge are removed and you will see no evidence that anything was ever booked.

No credit will every end up as a Future Cruise Credit. 

The best advice if they cancel your port is to call and make them follow their own policy that you get the money back to your credit card if they excursion is cancelled before 48 hours. And it did not take nearly the 7-10 business days that they said it could take. I received an email this afternoon from my credit card company that the refund is being credited to my account. only a few business days later.

No standing in a long line for us at disembarkation to get some money back!

Edited by ontheweb
added second paragraph

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

i received an e-mail from my credit card company earlier today that I had a refund coming, so it took them a lot less than the 7-10 business days that they said it could take.

Yay!  Glad to hear everything worked out.  I saw the credit for my 2 canceled excursions on my credit card this weekend.

• Thanks 1