Princess category oz obstructed

cusematt4

Hi all,

For a cruise to Alaska, oceanview guarantee category oz is substantially cheaper than a regular oceanview guarantee (by over $1000) which regular oceanview is a few hundred cheaper than a balcony.

Does obstructed oceanview guarantee mean that it could be any obstructed oceanview guarantee only or can that turn into a regular oceanview state moon without an obstructed view?

Does anyone have experience with this cabin and know if it’s more likely to wind up in an obstructed view oceanview vs regular oceanview?

Thank you.

A guarantee booking entails not having control over the specific cabin number, but guaranteeing a spot on the ship in the category you booked or better.  You might get upgraded or you might not.  This is dependent on Princess.  If you wouldn't be happy in an obstructed view stateroom, don't book this category in a guarantee because at minimum you will be assigned a cabin in this category.  

Princess also has a Bid to Upgrade program where after final payment, you will be given the option to bid (with Princess setting the minimum bid) for a cabin in a higher category.  Again, Princess may or may not accept your bid and it's dependent on the remaining cabins available.  This is also dependent on which travel agency you used; bookings made through a big box store TA is not eligible for Bid to Upgrade (but is eligible for upgrades initiated by Princess.)

When booking guarantee expect the worst (which is that you will be assigned a room in the category you booked), but hope for the best.

I have a slightly different perspective. 

Save money on the cabin and apply the money to more/better excursions. The best part of an Alaska cruise isn't the cruise. It's all the fun, interesting, exciting, scenic excursions you can go on whilst on an Alaska cruise. Examples: humpback whale watching, glacier walks, sled dogs, flight-seeing over a glacier, Skagway self-drive or train to Yukon, etc.

The $1000 you mention would pay for some really nice excursions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2023 at 8:22 PM, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

For a cruise to Alaska, oceanview guarantee category oz is substantially cheaper than a regular oceanview guarantee (by over $1000) which regular oceanview is a few hundred cheaper than a balcony.

Does obstructed oceanview guarantee mean that it could be any obstructed oceanview guarantee only or can that turn into a regular oceanview state moon without an obstructed view?

Does anyone have experience with this cabin and know if it’s more likely to wind up in an obstructed view oceanview vs regular oceanview?

Thank you.

Some are really obstructed and some not at all. You could always try looking a particular cabin up at:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/cruiseline.php?line=Princess

I was told by my PVP that all the OZ category Obstructed Oceanview cabins, as the lowest category, can not be booked but are reserved for Guarantee bookings. Unless there are more guarantee bookings than OZ Obstructed Oceanview cabins you would most likely be allocated one of them. There is a difference to the amount of obstruction so only you know if you are willing to take a chance. Your other option is to book the next category up of OY Obstructed Oceanview cabin and choose your cabin according to the amount of obstruction, however you will pay more.

I recently booked OY Obstructed  Oceanview E631 on Crown Princess for my Alaska cruise and was very happy with the location and view. I found we spent most of our time either on the Promenade, only one flight of stairs down, or up on the Sun Deck during scenic cruising. This was the view.

IMG20230602113250.thumb.jpg.40203ab7acdfb0082600576d8fb7659f.jpg

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 10:53 PM, Mercruiser said:

I have a slightly different perspective. 

Save money on the cabin and apply the money to more/better excursions. The best part of an Alaska cruise isn't the cruise. It's all the fun, interesting, exciting, scenic excursions you can go on whilst on an Alaska cruise. Examples: humpback whale watching, glacier walks, sled dogs, flight-seeing over a glacier, Skagway self-drive or train to Yukon, etc.

The $1000 you mention would pay for some really nice excursions. 

I appreciate your perspective.

We were just recently on a Western Caribbean cruise and we booked a balcony, because we used our balcony a lot on our previous cruise.  Not the case this time around. I wish we would have saved some cabin money for excursion money.

Edited by MississippiMom

For what it's worth...we booked a category OZ guaranteed obstructed outside view on an upcoming Alaska cruise on the Sapphire. Friends of ours booked exactly the same. We just got assigned cabin E121 and our friends ended up in E119. 

3 hours ago, Projunior said:

We just got assigned cabin E121 and our friends ended up in E119. 

We stayed in E121. If memory serves, when you look out the window to the right, you see a lifeboat, but  to the left, is an OK view. Also got a good idea of what E119 would be like. The beginning of the part of the promenade that goes around the bow. There is a railing, and people can walk by, but the window is mirrored and they cannot look in. FWIW, you got the better of the two.

Hold on to the link from @Ombud. In the future, if you want obstructed view, which we find can be a good value, provided you research and select a good one.

On 7/20/2023 at 8:22 PM, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

Thank you.

Here’s my OZ balcony on the Royal Princess this year. 

It didn’t take anything away from my cruise as I had a greatly reduced fare. 

I was in Stateroom: E319 (Deluxe Balcony: DW)

Tom😀

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by trbarton
  • Like 1