Amsterdam bans cruise ships

14 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

May be an image of text

The CLIA is in desperate damage limitation mode.

General consensus seems to be that the existing city centre cruise terminal WILL close, but not for many years and even then ships will continue to visit Amsterdam, docking at either an existing or new terminal further out of town.

• 11 months later...

Not banned but the numbers will go down:

"

A target date of 2035 for Passenger Terminal Amsterdam (PTA) to relocate from its current city-centre location at the Veemkade has been announced by Amsterdam City Council.

Meantime cruise ships will continue to be welcomed in Amsterdam at PTA’s current location for the next 11 years although capacity for ocean cruise ships will be reduced from two to one berth and a cap of 100 calls per year set for 2026 onwards.

Double bookings for 2024 and 2025 will be respected, and 90 calls have so far been accepted for 2025, PTA’s managing director Dick de Graaff told Seatrade Cruise. Starting January 1, 2027, the use of shorepower will be mandatory, he added.

As investigation on the move will start in 2025, said the City Council, who in 2023 adopted a motion that Amsterdam is better off without ocean cruise ships."

Cruise ships berth in Amsterdam city centre; terminal relocation 2035 (seatrade-cruise.com)

On 6/28/2024 at 1:58 PM, Biker19 said:

Not banned but the numbers will go down:

"

A target date of 2035 for Passenger Terminal Amsterdam (PTA) to relocate from its current city-centre location at the Veemkade has been announced by Amsterdam City Council.

Meantime cruise ships will continue to be welcomed in Amsterdam at PTA’s current location for the next 11 years although capacity for ocean cruise ships will be reduced from two to one berth and a cap of 100 calls per year set for 2026 onwards.

Double bookings for 2024 and 2025 will be respected, and 90 calls have so far been accepted for 2025, PTA’s managing director Dick de Graaff told Seatrade Cruise. Starting January 1, 2027, the use of shorepower will be mandatory, he added.

As investigation on the move will start in 2025, said the City Council, who in 2023 adopted a motion that Amsterdam is better off without ocean cruise ships."

Cruise ships berth in Amsterdam city centre; terminal relocation 2035 (seatrade-cruise.com)

Thank you @Biker19. People did not always believe me when I tried to explain the things you just posted. They believed that the cruise ships were already banned. Now I can refer them to this post. Very helpful!

My wife and I are headed to Amsterdam at the end of July (2024); we will spend a couple of days in Rotterdam and sail on Celebrity's Silhouette out of this city.   After the cruise, we will spend six more days in and around the Netherlands, and sail home on the Radiance of the Seas, out of Amsterdam. (TA -- Amsterdam to Boston)

Enjoy!

Kel

11 hours ago, Jomykje said:

Thank you @Biker19. People did not always believe me when I tried to explain the things you just posted. They believed that the cruise ships were already banned. Now I can refer them to this post. Very helpful!

The issue is that many Cruise Lines already withdraw bigger ships from Amsterdam for various reasons (high new cruise passenger tax, issue with locks transit and now only one ship allowed and shore power requirements). Rotterdam gained a lot of calls.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

The issue is that many Cruise Lines already withdraw bigger ships from Amsterdam for various reasons (high new cruise passenger tax, issue with locks transit and now only one ship allowed and shore power requirements). Rotterdam gained a lot of calls.

Yes, I see why Rotterdam might be more suitable then Amsterdam at the moment. 

6 hours ago, kelmac said:

My wife and I are headed to Amsterdam at the end of July (2024); we will spend a couple of days in Rotterdam and sail on Celebrity's Silhouette out of this city.   After the cruise, we will spend six more days in and around the Netherlands, and sail home on the Radiance of the Seas, out of Amsterdam. (TA -- Amsterdam to Boston)

Enjoy!

Kel

Hopefully you're joining us on the Jewel.  Radiance is currently sailing from Vancouver.

14 hours ago, kelmac said:

Enjoy!

Kel

When in the Netherlands pay Den Haag a visit(often overlooked in favour of Amsterdam & Rotterdam),along with it's seaside resort of Scheveningen,catching the market in Drift is another cool thing to do,enjoy,we love the place & the people!

• Like 1

We went to Rotterdam for the first time as a point of call last year, I have to say I preferred it to Amsterdam, maybe it was as a change but it was a fantastic city with some amazing architecture and places to eat. The overnight and the view form the ship was great, so a move to Rotterdam would be fine for us occasionally. 

• Like 1