Changing booking

Phaedra_11

Hi there,

I recently called HAL to upgrade us to a different category of room. I booked during the $1 deposit event.

They wanted me to pay the rest of the normal deposit (almost 1600) now. I ended up keeping the same room because I dont have that money now.

The thing is...I booked my Mum last week with the $1 deposit. Then I called a few days after that to upgrade her room and wasnt asked to pay anything more? 
So Im confused. Should I call back and try to get a different person?

Thanks

*please let me know if I am in the wrong

Edited by Phaedra_11

Definitely call back to see if a different agent gets you a different response.

Also, are you certain you have the same rate code as your mom's booking?

Is Club Orange an option for you to get a different cabin?

Sadly any change made to a reservation such as category is based on what is the current promotion is. If you were only changing cabins within the same category then no problem but changing categories is basially like making a new booking and the $1.00 deposit promotion is no longer available.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Sadly any change made to a reservation such as category is based on what is the current promotion is. If you were only changing cabins within the same category then no problem but changing categories is basially like making a new booking and the $1.00 deposit promotion is no longer available.

Thats so weird because I changed my Mum from an oceanview to a balcony a few days after the $1 event had ended and they didnt require anymore of a deposit.

Thanks for all the help.

2 minutes ago, Phaedra_11 said:

Thats so weird because I changed my Mum from an oceanview to a balcony a few days after the $1 event had ended and they didnt require anymore of a deposit.

Thanks for all the help.

You were lucky.  Maybe they did it as it was close?  Or missed it?   LIsa knows of which she speaks.  You can take her information to the bank 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phaedra_11 said:

Thanks for all the help.

Odds are that there was a grace period for changes. The changes you made for your mother were within the grace period. You might be outside now.

We also booked with the $1 deposit.  Booked the V GTY in anticipation of upgrading the stateroom with the purchase of Club Orange.  Have not yet done so.   Not only will we have to go ahead and pay for CO, but now we will have to put down the full deposit?

6 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

We also booked with the $1 deposit.  Booked the V GTY in anticipation of upgrading the stateroom with the purchase of Club Orange.  Have not yet done so.   Not only will we have to go ahead and pay for CO, but now we will have to put down the full deposit?

It is my understanding of HAL faring that changes in deposits are the case when making changes to the basic fare charged (number of passengers, name changes, dates, etc.). 

Club Orange is not part of the basic fare process.  When you contact HAL Inventory to make your Club Orange stateroom selection, they only care about collecting for Club Orange.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Phaedra_11 said:

Thanks for all the replies. I will call back and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

"Once a guest has booked their cruise, they or their travel advisor can add Club Orange by contacting Holland America Line Ship Inventory at 1-888-628-8107 or 206-626-7381."

Your issue is why we use an independent TA, who knows how to handle situations like yours. You can call HAL 3 times with an issue and get 3 different answers, HAL reps are very consistent about being inconsistent. It is not just HAL, Celebrity reps are just as bad.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Your issue is why we use an independent TA, who knows how to handle situations like yours. You can call HAL 3 times with an issue and get 3 different answers, HAL reps are very consistent about being inconsistent. It is not just HAL, Celebrity reps are just as bad.

My HAL PCC has been there for 18 years and reported on a recent phone call that of the 220 HAL PCCs, the vast majority were hired in the last nine months.  Experience takes time.

• Like 2

For most of my 45 cruises, I have booked with a TA. Some were independent, but most were from a larger travel agent company that could offer perks (never used a big box company, like a food club.) The TA's have changed over the years.   The TA for my last HAL cruise was unable to get the CO perk of a stateroom upgrade, so for an upcoming cruise, I booked directly with HAL, online.  I was not assigned a PCC.    Can I ask for one?    Crew News, I would love to have one that had experience like yours. 😉  

4 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I was not assigned a PCC.    Can I ask for one?    Crew News, I would love to have one that had experience like yours. 😉  

You can asked that you be assigned a PCC but as noted, many are rookies and are building experience.  The pandemic forced many HAL PCCs to seek other employment and just like the ship crews, they are in a rebuilding phase. 

i must comment that my PCC gets a lot of her information from her clients here on CC who seem to be one step ahead of the HAL bulletins to their PCCs.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My PCC has been around for awhile - knows all of the ins and outs - pulled a few miracles - responds almost instantaneously with any issue / question I have - and I am eternally grateful.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RD64 said:

My PCC has been around for awhile - knows all of the ins and outs - pulled a few miracles - responds almost instantaneously with any issue / question I have - and I am eternally grateful.

Be sure to virtually hug her and include her on your Christmas/Holiday list - the good ones are rare.

• Like 2

I have a question in relation to the issues in this thread.  I have a cruise with some nice perks such as early booking OBC and a great add on price for HIA, bought onboard with a FCD.  Due to unexpected major household expenses I would like to downgrade my cabin.  What are my options?  What can I keep? I assume the FCD will remain intact.  Thanks for any insights.  

59 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I have a question in relation to the issues in this thread.  I have a cruise with some nice perks such as early booking OBC and a great add on price for HIA, bought onboard with a FCD.  Due to unexpected major household expenses I would like to downgrade my cabin.  What are my options?  What can I keep? I assume the FCD will remain intact.  Thanks for any insights.  

That’s a tough one on the early booking bonus OBC.  I would like to think you should be able to keep it but your change is going to make you subject to the current perks.  I’m not sure.  I would definitely talk to your TA to make sure you know what you end up with.

Normally,  you lose the perks you had and get the ones currently offered. (Ie.  early booking bonus HIA includes crew incentive, premium internet & elite beverage - I think you would lose the crew incentive and end up with the surf internet & signature beverage package).

And you’re right, your FCD will be unaffected and still apply.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

Normally,  you lose the perks you had and get the ones currently offered. (Ie.  early booking bonus HIA includes crew incentive, premium internet & elite beverage - I think you would lose the crew incentive and end up with the surf internet & signature beverage package).

In this case I bought the HIA separately and extremely cheaply. It was standard HIA.   It would be a shame to lose that .   Thank you. 

20 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

In this case I bought the HIA separately and extremely cheaply. It was standard HIA.   It would be a shame to lose that .   Thank you. 

If you bought it separately, I don’t think you would lose it.  I assumed (you know what happens when you do that) it was in your booking.

I’ve referred before and kept what I had purchased.  Only if you have to be cancelled (new booking #) have I lost them.

Definitely talk to your TA - you might be ok 🤞 

• Like 1