Royal Caribbean food has gone way down hill and so has the service

robb s

did the 17 nighter from Brisbane to Honolulu on quantum of the seas only went to the main dining room twice as the food was of a poor standard, service was slow ( staff cut backs) ate most nights in wind jammer’s, as diamond plus members they must have noticed that we were not attending the dining room and tried to appease us with a one off fancy dinner (steak lobster, wine etc) but that doesn’t cut it you have to have good quality food on the menu at all times for all people, we felt this was just a token effort to get us back into the MDR . 
NB we didn’t go back kept eating elsewhere.

IMG_5028.jpeg

IMG_4976.jpeg

IMG_4643.jpeg

• Like 1

You win some, lose some and some get rained out.  Not all cruises are up to previous standards.  It looks like you found one of the lesser ones.  Sometimes it’s the Chef and a lack of cohesion among the kitchen and the servers and their managers.  As you said…a lack of dining staff?  Sometimes it’s the supply chain…perhaps the ship departed Australia with a shortage of high quality comestibles.  Some of these big ships are still trying to recover from their Covid hiatus.  Better luck next time.

We had a recent cruise trip with Explorer of the Seas Royal Carribean and we were not satisfied with the service including the food. We had experience with Princes and Oceania and they were much much better. So our strategy is to avoid Royal Carribean International. 

• Like 1

We have sailed on Enchantment five times, and Vision once, since the lockdown, including the new menus.  Although we are not thrilled with a few of the new selections, we've found the service on those two ships to be outstanding, and the MDR food quite acceptable overall.

I wrote about my theory in another Foodies post: Decline in food.....

To restate my thoughts:  I read (mostly here on CC) complaints that "dinner took 45 minutes for three courses; that is way too long!"  Apparently many have become so used to drive-through, instant meals that can be gulped down, that any time spent at a real table, perhaps with a short while between courses to digest and maybe even converse with others, is wasted time.  Complaints like that might be leading to pre-plating many of the meals so they can be picked up and rushed to the passenger.  I don't think that enhances the quality of the meals for the rest of us, quite the contrary.

Agreed! We were on the Symphony back in November -- dinner took 2.5 hours every night -- more than 30 minutes to get appetizers and then they arrived cold -- ditto on the temperature of the mains as well. Yes, we can send them back, but the wait for new/hot food is insane. Beef dishes were consistently low quality (tough and full of gristle). Had to beg for water refills multiple times.

Our waiter had a total of 24 people in his section to look after. And the assistant was not just his assistant, but the assistant for a totally different waiter as well. The bread basket was the best part of each meal (seriously). I love everything else about RCL (the ships, the shows, etc), but until I hear of improvements in the food area, I'm sticking with Celebrity and Holland America.

Because I'm Diamond, I had 4 drink vouchers per day, but they screwed up multiple times and charged me, which then meant I had to either phone (and wait on hold) or line up (and wait) at guest services to have this corrected. I wrote a long review after receiving an email requesting one, but (surprise, surprise), I never heard anything from anyone.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that our best experiences with long meals was not because the food failed to arrive, but because each course was enjoyed without guzzling, interspersed with some conversation. A good waiter notices how things are progressing, and will cater to that pace.

Of course, if one wants to get in and out to attend a show or something, it's easy enough to tell the waiter upon arrival.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 6:14 PM, shipgeeks said:

Of course, if one wants to get in and out to attend a show or something, it's easy enough to tell the waiter upon arrival.

We did, but alas, it seemed to make no difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on 3 RCI cruises since COVID and are going on another one in 2 weeks (family cruise that I did not plan).  RCI used to be one of my favorite lines but the food has suffered GREATLY since the restart.  though service has suffered some (definitely slower) I think the quality of the food is a bigger issue and since it has happened on 3 ships, I assume it is going to affect most if not all cruises.  We got a lot of cold food, virtually no attempt of nice presentation, and flavor is way down.  how expensive is salt and pepper?  I definitely agree that beef dishes are nearly inedible due to toughness.so I mostly selected chicken dishes.  Specialty dining is slightly better but has slid down in quality as well.  So far I don't feel my cabin steward service has slipped much if at all.

I fear this will be the standard across all the mass market lines and plan to sample some of the luxury lines...

• Like 1