Childen's Hair Styling at the Salon

MistyRo76

Has anyone had any experience with taking their daughters to the salon to get their hair done on formal night? I did this myself for the first time on my last cruise and now for me, it'll be a must do each cruise! It was so nice to not have to style my hair one night and also get a fun up-do that I would never be able to do on myself! Our next cruise will include our daughter, who will be 9 at the time of sailing. I was thinking this would be a fun thing for us to do together! I have already booked my appointment online, but thought I would go to the salon upon boarding and get her booked at/near the same time. Does any one have any experience having a younger child's hair done at the salon? Is the pricing the same as an adult hair service? 

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, MistyRo76 said:

Does any one have any experience having a younger child's hair done at the salon?

Hi @MistyRo76🙂

Salon Services:

(Hair, Nail & Facial Services) are available to Guests Of All Ages

20230722-162709.jpg

Above Information Located At (Click Here)

Have a terrific sailing!

🍹

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 4:22 PM, staceyglow said:

My guess is that if you are okay with paying the adult price to get a child's hair done, they will do it.  I just don't think most parents are willing to spend that kind of money.

Thanks! I am totally ok with paying it as we have plenty of OBC to spend! Plus my kiddo has pretty difficult hair to work with (for a non-hair stylist like myself LOL). I will be having to spend a lot of time the other evenings drying and styling it (at a minimum flat ironing or curling it) so having one night I don't have to do it would be worth the cost to me! Plus, I think it would be a fun mom/daughter thing to do together! 

The reason her hair is so difficult is because she has several larger pieces of hair that are very frizzy. My hair stylist says its like a birthmark. If you know Stacy London from What Not to Wear who had that grey streak in her hair...it's kind of like that. The hair in these spots is a different texture than the rest of her hair. If I let her hair air dry, especially in a more humid climate, these spots get super puffy and frizzy. She can be self-conscious about her hair so I try to take the time to dry it and run the flat iron over those spots when we can. At home, I try to only do this a few times a week. But being on a cruise, she'll be swimming alot and so she'll have to wash her hair every night before dinner. 

I appreciate your feedback! 

On 7/22/2023 at 4:22 PM, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi @MistyRo76🙂

Salon Services:

(Hair, Nail & Facial Services) are available to Guests Of All Ages

20230722-162709.jpg

Above Information Located At (Click Here)

Have a terrific sailing!

🍹

Thank you! I didn't think there was an age limit as on the online booking page, it just says that appointments for those under 18 cannot be booked online and have to be booked in person once onboard. So that led me to believe her age wouldn't be an issue. We'll go right to the salon when we board to try to get her booked at the same time (or near to) my appointment. 

• Like 1

They most certainly do little kids.  I saw a child younger than this getting his hair cut while I was getting a pedi.  Looked like Grandma and Grandpa brought him in for a "big" boy haircut.  He couldn't have been but 5 years old.  

8 hours ago, MistyRo76 said:

Thanks! I am totally ok with paying it as we have plenty of OBC to spend! Plus my kiddo has pretty difficult hair to work with (for a non-hair stylist like myself LOL). I will be having to spend a lot of time the other evenings drying and styling it (at a minimum flat ironing or curling it) so having one night I don't have to do it would be worth the cost to me! Plus, I think it would be a fun mom/daughter thing to do together! 

The reason her hair is so difficult is because she has several larger pieces of hair that are very frizzy. My hair stylist says its like a birthmark. If you know Stacy London from What Not to Wear who had that grey streak in her hair...it's kind of like that. The hair in these spots is a different texture than the rest of her hair. If I let her hair air dry, especially in a more humid climate, these spots get super puffy and frizzy. She can be self-conscious about her hair so I try to take the time to dry it and run the flat iron over those spots when we can. At home, I try to only do this a few times a week. But being on a cruise, she'll be swimming alot and so she'll have to wash her hair every night before dinner. 

You are a super mum , don't forget to take photos of you together in the salon and when your dressed for formal . Also ask for a discount for dd.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 1:26 PM, MistyRo76 said:

Our next cruise will include our daughter, who will be 9 at the time of sailing. I was thinking this would be a fun thing for us to do together!

It's a terrific thing to do together! Wonderful memories will be created.

Happy cruising, Enjoy your sailing!

🌴

On a side note, on our last cruise to Alaska in May/June, there was an activity for tweens and teens to come to a pedicure party at the spa.  Not sure how much it was as my daughter didn't go, but something else to maybe look into.  

Have a great cruise!

16 hours ago, jerseygirlinAZ said:

On a side note, on our last cruise to Alaska in May/June, there was an activity for tweens and teens to come to a pedicure party at the spa.  Not sure how much it was as my daughter didn't go, but something else to maybe look into.  

Have a great cruise!

That would be awesome and she would love it! She  just had her first professional pedicure with her aunt who was visiting recently and she LOVED it! I'll keep an eye out for that! 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 10:11 AM, MistyRo76 said:

The salon has some magic potions that are worth the upcharge for difficult hair.  

On 7/24/2023 at 9:11 AM, MistyRo76 said:

Another fun option, depending on your ports, would be to have her hair braided. Those would last for a week or more - even with swimming every day.

4 hours ago, Beav1279 said:

Another fun option, depending on your ports, would be to have her hair braided. Those would last for a week or more - even with swimming every day.

Not a good idea.  Not only are those braids damaging to hair but the combs used are shared by all customers.  

17 hours ago, Beav1279 said:

I'm not a fan of those braids in general and my kid wouldn't tolerate having that done! She does not enjoy braids much! She likes her hair down mostly unless she's running around playing then it's a ponytail for her! Thinking that having some nice curls put in it for her would be fun! 

• Like 1