Alaska Celebrity Summit May 2024

I am taking my mother to Alaska for her birthday next year. We are sailing out of Vancouver on Celebrity Summit. We chose this because of the ports of call and the adult atmosphere of Celebrity. After the cruise we are planning on spending a few days in Anchorage and a few days in  Denali. Any advice for first time cruisers and first time visit to Alaska, especially with mobility issues. I’m concerned about walking. She can walk and stairs aren’t an issue it’s more about distance. How long is the walk from the ship to get to excursions?  We both like animals and nature, not big on drinking or shopping. What would you do in Anchorage and Denali?  Thank you. 

56 minutes ago, Sunshinetraveler2002 said:

I am taking my mother to Alaska for her birthday next year. We are sailing out of Vancouver on Celebrity Summit. We chose this because of the ports of call and the adult atmosphere of Celebrity. After the cruise we are planning on spending a few days in Anchorage and a few days in  Denali. Any advice for first time cruisers and first time visit to Alaska, especially with mobility issues. I’m concerned about walking. She can walk and stairs aren’t an issue it’s more about distance. How long is the walk from the ship to get to excursions?  We both like animals and nature, not big on drinking or shopping. What would you do in Anchorage and Denali?

Hi Sunshine and welcome to Cruise Critic!

What is the date of your sailing? My experience is that Alaska RollCalls are not particularly active (at least not on Holland America, with whom I have sailed three times), but I will check if there is a Roll Call for you.

How will you get from Anchorage to Denali? Will you rent a car? There is a Wildlife rescue center 47 miles from Anchorage (in the other direction from Denali!) in Girdwood, that we took my family to since we didn't have time for Denali on a one-day visit to Anchorage. There is a 1.5mi loop walk to all the different enclosures. It seems like there were ample places to sit and rest. (My family group included two people with COPD and one with reduced stamina. I carried two tri-pod stools on this and other day-trips and never used them once!)

https://alaskawildlife.org/visit/

I understand that there are route closures within Denali and you may want to determine how that will affect your visit. A few days in Anchorage and few days in Denali also includes a long day of driving between them. Oh, and for what it's worth, your chances of seeing Denali the mountain stand at 50% or less; it spends much of the time enshrouded.

What amount of walking is the concern-level? What are your ports? (I can find them from your sail-date, but you can also just tell me!)

Again, Welcome!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

Roll Call:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2949097-may-24-2024-alaska-northbound-glacier/#comment-65686545

You will be the second member!

Alaska port-of-call:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/

Q&A for Vancouver in this forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

We, too, took my mom to Alaska in June of 2009. We rented a car for two weeks, staying in Seward, Palmer, and Healy (for Denali). The road was open to the interior visitor center and beyond. We ended up wishing we'd only gone to the VC! the mosquitoes at the pond farther along (something like Mirror Lake?) were so bad it really wasn't fun!