Evening dress code for Alaskan cruise

capsplace

I tried to find a thread out there that addresses my question, but no luck.

So, what does Celebrity consider appropriate dress on an Alaskan cruise for dinner and any evening activities?  I thought I saw remarks that jeans are acceptable in any dining areas 100% of the time.  I am thinking we should take at least a couple nicer outfits for Chef's Table and the Evening Chic night.  Any experiences or suggestions or recommendations?  We've cruised on Celebrity numerous times, so we have a good understanding of the expected dress code for other itineraries, but not Alaska.

5 minutes ago, capsplace said:

So, what does Celebrity consider appropriate dress on an Alaskan cruise for dinner and any evening activities?  I thought I saw remarks that jeans are acceptable in any dining areas 100% of the time.  I am thinking we should take at least a couple nicer outfits for Chef's Table and the Evening Chic night.  Any experiences or suggestions or recommendations?  We've cruised on Celebrity numerous times, so we have a good understanding of the expected dress code for other itineraries, but not Alaska.

Can't go wrong with Celebrity's suggested dress guidance on their website no matter the itinerary.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3

Thanks for the comments.  I am one that tends to overpack for evening wear (Chico's Travelers), bringing something different for each night.  I know jeans are OK at dinner (we'll be in Blu) with a nice top.  I'll figure it out, but just wanted to hear from anyone that has been on an Alaskan cruise and what they did or saw.  Plus I am trying to cut down on luggage for this trip.

Edited by capsplace

Despite the fact that we live in Alaska we have done at least 6 Alaska cruises on Celebrity.   On the Alaska itineraries dress is definitely more casual than on other Celebrity itineraries, with the exception of Antarctica.  On evening chic nights I don't bother with a cocktail dress -- just black slacks and a sparkly top.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Despite the fact that we live in Alaska we have done at least 6 Alaska cruises on Celebrity.   On the Alaska itineraries dress is definitely more casual than on other Celebrity itineraries, with the exception of Antarctica.  On evening chic nights I don't bother with a cocktail dress -- just black slacks and a sparkly top.

Thanks!  Seeing you are from Fairbanks (I have a totally different question for you)... we are in Fairbanks overnight on our land tour.  Any restaurant recommendations for dinner?  Fancy, or just a local's place would be great.

2 minutes ago, capsplace said:

Thanks!  Seeing you are from Fairbanks (I have a totally different question for you)... we are in Fairbanks overnight on our land tour.  Any restaurant recommendations for dinner?  Fancy, or just a local's place would be great.

What hotel will you be at?  

• Like 1

The dress code is the same on any cruise.  That said, I have found people on Alaska cruises definitely tend to dress more casually than on others.  In the MDR it was not uncommon to see people coming to dinner in jeans, hoodies, and hiking shoes (I'm not recommending - just stating an observation).  Chic nights as on all cruises are a little dressier, but again more casual than most.  I don't even bother to bring a dress on those cruises anymore, although for the record I always will follow the dress code

Sophie's Station in-house restaurant is Zach's.  Zach's in the past was where ladies of a certain age met for lunch, and folks also had business lunches there too.  Since the pandemic Alaska has been experiencing a severe labor shortage which has hit the hospitality industry particularly hard.  So the last time I dined at Zach's it was just before the pandemic.

Pike's Landing is a short taxi/uber away but they lost (he retired) their executive chef and reviews have been mixed.  They do have a nice deck overlooking the Chena River.

Brewster is a casual place within easy walking distance, but I wouldn't bother,

If you like Thai then taxi/uber to the Lemon Grass.  Fairbanks is the "Thai food capital of Alaska" and this is my favorite.  This family owned restaurant actually has a second location in Thailand which has a white board for Fairbankans to sign.

I would suggest the Pump House.  The building itself has a great history as it was a pumping station moving water from the Chena River over Chena Ridge to mining camps on the over side.  We live on Chena Ridge and this is our "go to" restaurant.  Not really fancy but funky.  They recently changed ownership and have a new executive chef.  So are we have been pleased.  A nice deck over looks the Chena.  

All of these restaurants have menus posted on their websites.

You will need reservations at the Lemon Grass, Pike's and Pump House.  

I don't know when you will be visiting, but Fairbanks will be 88F today with higher later in the week.

• Thanks 2

THANK YOU!!!!! I read about Pumphouse, so that just might be our choice!  We are in Fairbanks at the end of August.  I am about to start checking forecasts.  

Again thank you and everyone for their thoughts about dress code for an Alaskan cruise.  Very much appreciated.

I no longer carry a bunch of dresses for evening but always carry a couple. You don’t need to wear something different every evening. Last year when we went to Alaska, I took a simple Eileen Fisher black dress and wore it with different accessories on 3 different evenings. That meant I had a dress for the elegant chic night, but it was still comfortable and perfectly appropriate for a more casual Alaska cruise.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, capsplace said:

THANK YOU!!!!! I read about Pumphouse, so that just might be our choice!  We are in Fairbanks at the end of August.  I am about to start checking forecasts.  

Again thank you and everyone for their thoughts about dress code for an Alaskan cruise.  Very much appreciated.

One more quick comment regarding Fairbanks restaurants -- the Alaska Salmon Bake may be tempting since they provide shuttle transportation (for a fee) but don't bother.  Very over-priced for what they offer.  Only open during the summer so their prime clientele are tourists.  And in the past they offered a "special local discount" to try to lure locals.  Only restaurant that I am aware of in Alaska which offered a discount to Alaska residents.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, capsplace said:

Thanks for the comments.  I am one that tends to overpack for evening wear (Chico's Travelers), bringing something different for each night.  I know jeans are OK at dinner (we'll be in Blu) with a nice top.  I'll figure it out, but just wanted to hear from anyone that has been on an Alaskan cruise and what they did or saw.  Plus I am trying to cut down on luggage for this trip.

In case you didn’t know:

Specialty Restaurants (Including Luminae for our Suite Class guests and Blu for our AquaClass® Guests)

The dress code in Celebrity’s Specialty Restaurants is Smart Casual for every night of your cruise. Evening Chic attire is only required in the main dining room on your “Evening Chic nights.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

In case you didn’t know:

Specialty Restaurants (Including Luminae for our Suite Class guests and Blu for our AquaClass® Guests)

The dress code in Celebrity’s Specialty Restaurants is Smart Casual for every night of your cruise. Evening Chic attire is only required in the main dining room on your “Evening Chic nights.”

It's not even required. It's only suggested. 

Just now, davekathy said:

It's not even required. It's only suggested. 

At times, Celebrity gets a little bipolar in their literature when it comes to required/suggested. Nonetheless, since the OP is in Blu it won’t be an issue for them.

1 hour ago, capsplace said:

I panicked when I read the Captain's note regarding dress.  The attire was long sleeved shirts for men in the dining areas in the evening.  I had brought only one long sleeved short and the rest were short sleeved.  No one said anything to me but I was in the minority with that style shirt.  Dress  was quite casual as compared to other cruises in other regions.

1 minute ago, keesar said:

I panicked when I read the Captain's note regarding dress.  The attire was long sleeved shirts for men in the dining areas in the evening.  I had brought only one long sleeved short and the rest were short sleeved.  No one said anything to me but I was in the minority with that style shirt.  Dress  was quite casual as compared to other cruises in other regions.

Of course the staff wouldn't. I always (every evening) wear dockers and polo/golf style shirts in the evening in the MDR. 

Again thank you all.  Didn’t want this thread to turn into a debate about dress codes, but I do appreciate all your remarks.  I plan on toning down my usual fancier dress, going more casual.  Weather might steer me one way or another.  DH will still take his standard two pairs of slacks and coordinated shirts with a vest, but skip the jacket this time.

5 hours ago, capsplace said:

You will be perfectly dressed for you cruise.   I find that Alaska Cruises are more relaxed than say a European Cruise.    As weather can be variable, I would suggest planning on a layered look.

May be an image of 3 people, money, suitcase and text that says 'WHEN PREPARING TO TRAVEL, LAY OUT ALL YOUR CLOTHES AND ALL YOUR MONEY. THEN TAKE HALF THE CLOTHES AND TWICE THE MONEY. SUSAN HELLER'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was shocked at how some people dressed in the MDR on chic nights. Like the 60 year old woman in leggings and a printed tshirt. I typically wore a bellow the knee dress with accessories and often felt overdressed in the MDR. I would not bring a gown on an Alaska sailing with Celebrity. 

• Like 1