Looking for ANY tips or suggestions. Tortola to Jost Van Dyke.

trigger

My wife and I are on the Indy in October and looking for any suggestions to getting to JVD and  maximizing our time there. We are docked in Tortola from noon-8pm. 

Looking forward to seeing where Chesney shot some of his videos.

Is there a RC excursion to JVD that you can take?  That is what we did. Others book private excursions/boats and hopefully someone else can comment about that. 

I hope you can visit.  We hope to get back there. 

Adios to Jost (as Kenny sings). 😉🎸

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've gone to JVD twice but only one time from Tortola.  I booked the excursion offered by the ship.  

RCI excursions are sold out. I’m thinking a taxi to west end, ferry to jvd and taxi to soggy dollar. Then reverse back to the ship. 

Am I missing anything?

Edited by trigger

For what it’s worth, I would not recommend doing this on your own.  I would highly recommend you book through the ship or find a charter that can take you.  The boat ride from Tortola to JVD is about 45 minutes.  It is a beautiful island and a beautiful beach, but you don’t want to be ina situation where you miss the ship.  If JVD isn’t in the cards, I’d recommend the Baths.  Either way, have a great trip.

7 hours ago, funredhead said:

For what it’s worth, I would not recommend doing this on your own.  I would highly recommend you book through the ship or find a charter that can take you.  The boat ride from Tortola to JVD is about 45 minutes.  It is a beautiful island and a beautiful beach, but you don’t want to be ina situation where you miss the ship.  If JVD isn’t in the cards, I’d recommend the Baths.  Either way, have a great trip.

no to the ship excursion for the baths.  Worst excursion ever.  

17 hours ago, trigger said:

RCI excursions are sold out. I’m thinking a taxi to west end, ferry to jvd and taxi to soggy dollar. Then reverse back to the ship. 

Am I missing anything?

Nope - that is what we would do. 

On 7/23/2023 at 8:52 PM, trigger said:

My wife and I are on the Indy in October and looking for any suggestions to getting to JVD and  maximizing our time there. We are docked in Tortola from noon-8pm. 

We just booked Viva in December and I see nothing to JVD on the NCL excursions. I was hoping to hear of something more contained than 2 taxis and a ferry each way.  But, may be looking for your experiences after you get back in October if you actually do this. 

19 hours ago, PATRLR said:

We just booked Viva in December and I see nothing to JVD on the NCL excursions. I was hoping to hear of something more contained than 2 taxis and a ferry each way.  But, may be looking for your experiences after you get back in October if you actually do this. 

Yes unfortunately Jost is on the north side of Tortola and there just are not many options from the cruise dock. When we’ve stayed in CGB we’ve been able to take a water “taxi” (just a motorboat from a vendor there) to White Bay, and get picked up in Great Harbor. You can inquire on the TTOL forum to see if the vendor who rents water toys in CGB is providing that service. You’d still have to taxi 20 minutes to and from CGB, but it’s a shorter trip than from West End on the ferry…

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/7/1/british-virgin-islands.html

Edited by blue_water
Typo

On 7/23/2023 at 8:52 PM, trigger said:

There are several catamaran charters that you can book that take you snorkeling and to JVD.  Kuralu, Rebel Yell and Patouche.

We did Kuralu years ago and it was one of the best excursions we’ve ever done

We just booked a Jan 2025 cruise that includes Tortola and we booked the Celebrity excursion to JVD (they only had 7 spots left already so agree it’s a popular excursion)

PS - I would concur with the comment about trying to get to JVD on your own using ferries and other modes as you definitely don’t want to be stuck there

Edited by Cruise till you drop

20 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

There are several catamaran charters that you can book that take you snorkeling and to JVD.  Kuralu, Rebel Yell and Patouche.

We did Kuralu years ago and it was one of the best excursions we’ve ever done

We just booked a Jan 2025 cruise that includes Tortola and we booked the Celebrity excursion to JVD (they only had 7 spots left already so agree it’s a popular excursion)

PS - I would concur with the comment about trying to get to JVD on your own using ferries and other modes as you definitely don’t want to be stuck there

The problem with the Aristocat, Kuralu, Patouche and other independent charters is the very limited time you have on Jost with their western itineraries. We would highly recommend these outfits, and their eastern day sails to the Indians, Norman and Cooper Islands. But for trigger and others looking to maximize their time there - without opting for a more expensive private motorboat charter - the taxi and ferry makes perfect sense.

We’ve stayed on Tortola (and cruised there) and know that the ferries are very reliable, and taxis are always waiting for fares when the ferry returns. So that option is a no-brainer for us (if the water “taxi” out of CGB is not available), and we would not share your concerns about getting stuck there…

On 7/27/2023 at 3:42 PM, PATRLR said:

I booked the NCL Prima for next year and don't see it either- is it possible it gets added by NCL later? I had a cruise in 2017 I had to cancel, and remember booking it then

4 hours ago, HowardK said:

I booked the NCL Prima for next year and don't see it either- is it possible it gets added by NCL later? I had a cruise in 2017 I had to cancel, and remember booking it then

FWIW, I learned this in the roll-call for our Viva cruise:  The excursion to JVD was listed under excursions in the App, but not listed under excursions on the web.  In fact, there were a bunch of excursions on the app that were not available on the web.  So, check the app if you haven't already done so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2023 at 10:18 PM, funredhead said:

A self-excursion is actually a great option for JVD (and the Baths), and I would not be concerned about missing the ship as long as you are responsible enough. The taxis and ferries are very reliable, just as in STT and other major ports. 

The ship’s excursion is great if available and the “safest” choice, but sometimes going on your own is the only option, or is just worth it…

Edited by blue_water
Typo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PATRLR said:

FWIW, I learned this in the roll-call for our Viva cruise:  The excursion to JVD was listed under excursions in the App, but not listed under excursions on the web.  In fact, there were a bunch of excursions on the app that were not available on the web.  So, check the app if you haven't already done so.

hello, I wanted to thank you from yesterday as you had posted this- I looked on the app and it wasn't there yet but think it might have shown up later on a cruise I had to cancel.

Edited by HowardK

• 3 months later...
On 7/27/2023 at 3:42 PM, PATRLR said:

WE DID IT!!!

On 7/23/2023 at 9:23 PM, trigger said:

Am I missing anything?

This is EXACTLY what we did and had time to spare.

We arrived in Tortola at 11:40 am (scheduled 12:00 to 8:00). We headed straight to the taxi stand and got a taxi to West End for $16pp. The ride was about 25 minutes. Bought ferry tickets for $40pp R/T for the 1:00 pm ferry. We got to JVD in less than 15 minutes. Depends on the waves. After that, we got on an open air truck to get to Soggy Dollar Bar for $5pp one way. About a 7 minute ride. 

We were on the beach until 4:45pm when we got back on the open air truck to get back in time for the 5:00pm ferry and taxi from West End back to the ship. We were back on the ship by 6:15pm.

$160pp for 3 3/4hrs on the beach at White Bay/Soggy. It was a good day!

By happenstance, there was 10-12 of us from our cruise that did this. We did not meet each other until either sharing a taxi or getting on the ferry. Once there we kinda kept an eye out for each other so nobody got left behind. We all did our own thing.

To be honest, while planning this I was stressing about getting back to ship on time (we packed a change of clothes/passports and port agent’s phone number, etc…). But after the fact, I am so glad we did it this way. It was cheaper, longer and had more freedom.

Edited by trigger

Yes, going on your own via the ferry is definitely a great option. If you want to share the cost of a private charter with others on your roll call that’s even better, but I’d want $$ up front from others to avoid getting stuck for the deposit…

On 11/4/2023 at 2:13 PM, trigger said:

WE DID IT!!!

We arrived in Tortola at 11:40 am (scheduled 12:00 to 8:00). We headed straight to the taxi stand and got a taxi to West End for $16pp. The ride was about 25 minutes. Bought ferry tickets for $40pp R/T for the 1:00 pm ferry. We got to JVD in less than 15 minutes. Depends on the waves. After that, we got on an open air truck to get to Soggy Dollar Bar for $5pp one way. About a 7 minute ride. 

We were on the beach until 4:45pm when we got back on the open air truck to get back in time for the 5:00pm ferry and taxi from West End back to the ship. We were back on the ship by 6:15pm.

I'm doing the math of what you described and I don't understand how you got to $160pp. Is that with drinks and food? The trip itself sounds like it's $82pp r/t. 

Thanks for explaining how to do it. 

I did ncl excursion last time and we're returning in April and haven't booked excursion yet, but definitely want to return. We hung out in front of Hendos, which is next door to soggy dollar, as they have nicer lounge chairs and umbrellas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkrickles1 said:

I'm doing the math of what you described and I don't understand how you got to $160pp. Is that with drinks and food? The trip itself sounds like it's $82pp r/t. 

Thanks for explaining how to do it. 

My mistake, it was just over $160 total to get there and back. 

• Like 1

WE DID IT!!!

$160 for 3 3/4hrs on the beach at White Bay/Soggy. It was a good day!

WE DID IT!!!

Math is still off

Taxi to West end $16pp x 2 = $32

Ferry (round trip) = $40

Open air truck to Soggy Dollar $5pp x 2 = $10

So it sounds like the total trip was $82

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Math is still off

Taxi to West end $16pp x 2 = $32

Ferry (round trip) = $40

Open air truck to Soggy Dollar $5pp x 2 = $10

So it sounds like the total trip was $82

The taxi fares are only one-way, and the ferry pass is only for one person…

BVI Taxi fares increased December 16, 2022 and have not been published as far as I can see. But Trigger’s fares should be good except now $6/pp on Jost (for TWO people)

So the cost for TWO people should be ~
RT Taxi cruise dock - West End = ~$64

RT Ferry = $80 ( $40/p)

RT Taxi Great Harbour - White Bay ~$24

Total ~$168 for two people. The pp cost will be lower for 3 or more ppl…

There may be a dinghy option from Great Harbour to White Bay when you arrive as well…

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1