The 'cruise fraternity' is an odd place...

JonoBhoy

There has been a lot of complaining on here in recent months about perceived standards slipping across the MSC products and genuine experiences from customers. What perplexes me is the rational some folk give for their views and how far and deep their search is prepared to go to find something not to their liking. 

Everyone is of course entitled to their views and indeed places like this give a platform for all manner of topics. What I find strangest of all is some of the things people are basing their views on. People seem to treat cruise lines (not just MSC) as their own personal product, rather than like a chain of hotels or a resort which they gravitate to. Unless I am mistaken I don't see Hilton/Marriot/Hyatt... boards where people complain about (for instance); a change of wine choices the resturent hold, the size of beef tenderloin on offer at dinner, the lack of free ice cream at a bar, not being allowed to order two main courses at the MDR every night...

Unless these people are shareholders then I just don't get the level of investment people have for a particular cruise line, and this works both ways. Some feel the need vent their disappointment like its one of their children whilst others defend any criticism like its a personal attack.

Now I have only sailed MSC once (YC in 2019), and have an upcoming cruise in September on Seaview (in YC) upon which to hang my own views. But what I refuse to read into before I go on it is the "MSC has gone down the pan" brigade purely based on some of the criticism I see out there, as I simply don't think what I have seen will impact my enjoyment to any great degree. 

I will of course, come back with my tail between my legs if the trip is a mess, but regardless of what is presented to us, we'll make the most of it and have a blast. From there we'll make an informed decision on where and on what we want to sail (or fly to) next...

END OF LINE

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JonoBhoy said:

Unless I am mistaken I don't see Hilton/Marriot/Hyatt... boards where people complain about (for instance); a change of wine choices the resturent hold, the size of beef tenderloin on offer at dinner, the lack of free ice cream at a bar, not being allowed to order two main courses at the MDR every night...

There are absolutely boards where people complain about hotel chains. Flyertalk is one that comes to mind. And typically, the restaurants in hotels are not owned by the hotel and they're all different, so the complaints you listed don't really apply.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

People complain (not just on here everywhere in life)

People post good comments 

Its a discussion board by people that really like cruising. I enjoy reading here to get psyched about my next cruise and get the latest news, tips, etc. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, RichYak said:

There are absolutely boards where people complain about hotel chains. Flyertalk is one that comes to mind. And typically, the restaurants in hotels are not owned by the hotel and they're all different, so the complaints you listed don't really apply.

Okay Rich. Okay

41 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

People complain (not just on here everywhere in life)

People post good comments 

Its a discussion board by people that really like cruising. I enjoy reading here to get psyched about my next cruise and get the latest news, tips, etc. 

I agree. I thoroughly enjoy reading though them. I suppose the overarching point is, regardless of the list of complains I see out there I always look forward to and (to date) enjoy my cruise.

People discuss and complain about lots of businesses besides cruise lines - hotels, airlines, restaurants, grocery stores, retail stores, etc. Some are loyal and will defend their favorite no matter what and others who feel slighted by the company at some point will always put them down. 

The main issue I see with many of the complaints against all companies is unrealistic expectations. Former customers expect everything to stay the same, including the price, while new customers do little, if any, research beforehand and are surprised by things that are normal in that industry. Longtime cruisers complain about menu changes, cutbacks on cabin service, price increases on gratuities or drink packages, etc. First time cruisers complain they were “never told” that gratuities would be added, alcohol and soft drinks aren’t usually included, they had to provide specific documents to board, etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonoBhoy said:

But what I refuse to read into before I go on it is the "MSC has gone down the pan" brigade purely based on some of the criticism I see out there, as I simply don't think what I have seen will impact my enjoyment to any great degree. 

If one can really do what you imply i.e. judge if an issue would impact one or not based on a review, it is a helpful review IMHO.  

I agree there are quite a number of useless reviews around, often with headlines like "worst cruise ever" "sucks" " I am done", but otherwise I often find reviews (not only here but about other cruiselines, hotels, airlines) helpful even if I do not agree. Maybe somebody complains heavily about something I would just like. Or somebody praises a line for something I would just hate. Both'd be helpful.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

Some people simply love nothing better than having  a whinge, so will be itching to find something to complain about. 🙂

There are actually some of us who do go on holiday to enjoy ourselves and are able to accept the usually minor blips that one will experience as just that. 😉

So true about the complainers!  To paraphrase:

People always told me be careful of what you do
And don't go around breaking young cruisers' hearts
And mother always told me be careful of who you love
And be careful of what you do 'cause the lie becomes the truth
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I believe the difference is when you pay for a cruise you are paying not only for the room but the food up front.  People then have expectations of what to expect based on past experiences.

With a hotel you are paying for the room but the restaurants are a stand alone entity that you pay for at time of service.

That makes the two apples and oranges.

I find it fascinating what irks people to the point where they say never again yet you look at their signature and they have upcoming cruises booked on the same line.  

I actually think this site is pretty tame probably because of the monitoring.  Try the site that begins with R and ends with T.  It's pretty wild at times with the complaints ranging from airlines, hotels, cruises and analyzing the possible outcomes of the show Yellowstone.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 8:01 AM, JonoBhoy said:

There has been a lot of complaining on here in recent months about perceived standards slipping across the MSC products

No matter what “slipping “ I have been observing and reporting on, they are minor inconveniences dwarfed by these cut backs we have experienced on other cruise lines.

• Like 1

Besides the prices to cruise on MSC are still better than all the other cruise lines. All these trifles being cut reminds me of a quote by Will Rogers " People that pay for things never complain. It's the guy you give something to that you can't please."

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There has been a lot of complaining on here in recent months about perceived standards slipping across the MSC products and genuine experiences from customers. What perplexes me is the rational some folk give for their views and how far and deep their search is prepared to go to find something not to their liking. 

Everyone is of course entitled to their views and indeed places like this give a platform for all manner of topics. What I find strangest of all is some of the things people are basing their views on. People seem to treat cruise lines (not just MSC) as their own personal product, rather than like a chain of hotels or a resort which they gravitate to. Unless I am mistaken I don't see Hilton/Marriot/Hyatt... boards where people complain about (for instance); a change of wine choices the resturent hold, the size of beef tenderloin on offer at dinner, the lack of free ice cream at a bar, not being allowed to order two main courses at the MDR every night...

Unless these people are shareholders then I just don't get the level of investment people have for a particular cruise line, and this works both ways. Some feel the need vent their disappointment like its one of their children whilst others defend any criticism like its a personal attack.

Now I have only sailed MSC once (YC in 2019), and have an upcoming cruise in September on Seaview (in YC) upon which to hang my own views. But what I refuse to read into before I go on it is the "MSC has gone down the pan" brigade purely based on some of the criticism I see out there, as I simply don't think what I have seen will impact my enjoyment to any great degree. 

I will of course, come back with my tail between my legs if the trip is a mess, but regardless of what is presented to us, we'll make the most of it and have a blast. From there we'll make an informed decision on where and on what we want to sail (or fly to) next...

END OF LINE

Legend...I applaud you.

END OF LINE

You have to learn to take most of the complaints with a grain of salt.  Each person may have different expectations, and if those expectations aren’t met, then they complain. Of all the cruises we have been on (about 30), I’ve had one meal that I had a true complaint.

As long as I can get a good Gold Rush and cappuccino, and yes, sometimes at the same time, I’ll pretty much be happy!!

• Like 1

Aloha. I agree that there are sites for cruises, hotels, resorts, restaurants etc etc. When planning a vacation or even trying a new restaurant I find it enjoyable reading and a learning experience even though I have been blessed to have traveled the world. You never stop learning. That said you need to read between the lines to get a somewhat proper understanding of a particular venue.  Of course, for me part of the fun is looking at food pictures!

If everyone listens to the complainers -- then the cruise lines would be sailing empty.

I love reading reviews -- the good and the bad.  I take away good points from the good ones and face palm the bad ones.  Your on vacation -- enjoy, I'd rather be there than at work any day!

• Like 1