Port Liberty Bayonne Check-in

I am going to rent a car and drop it off in Bayonne. I want to drop luggage off first and then drop the car off at the rental office and take a cab back 

How early would you think I can drop luggage to the porters at the pier?

I'm nervous too early and the porters confuse my luggage with those from the exiting cruise.

1 hour ago, artvlay said:

I am going to rent a car and drop it off in Bayonne. I want to drop luggage off first and then drop the car off at the rental office and take a cab back 

I'm nervous too early and the porters confuse my luggage with those from the exiting cruise.

Drop off for luggage is completely separate from pickup for those exiting/leaving the previous cruise.  Once the luggage leaves the ship and is in the terminal for those leaving to pickup, it never gets anywhere near the arriving luggage.  You should be good by 10 am or so, but there will be traffic arriving and departing.  Why not just drop the car and bring your luggage in the cab instead of making an extra trip?  Dropoff is right in front of the terminal either way and you'll be spending time going back and forth that really isn't necessary.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BND said:

Drop off for luggage is completely separate from pickup for those exiting/leaving the previous cruise.  Once the luggage leaves the ship and is in the terminal for those leaving to pickup, it never gets anywhere near the arriving luggage.  You should be good by 10 am or so, but there will be traffic arriving and departing.  Why not just drop the car and bring your luggage in the cab instead of making an extra trip?  Dropoff is right in front of the terminal either way and you'll be spending time going back and forth that really isn't necessary.

I agree that it would be easier to take the luggage with you in the cab/Uber/Lyft.  However, if you are a family of 5 like ours it can be difficult to fit us all with our luggage in one cab/Uber/Lyft.  In that case I've normally had to drop off everyone and luggage (except me obviously 🙂 ), then return the rental, then get a ride back to the ship.

However if it's just two people you should easily be able to get yourselves and luggage to the ship from the rental location.

Edited by The Fun Researcher

3 hours ago, artvlay said:

I did this in May 2022.  Dropped off luggage, returned car to Enterprise.  Took the carry-ons out of the car, went inside and asked for a ride.  The driver got in the same car I just returned and drove us to the port.  😄

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, artvlay said:

I looked at Enterprise.  I live not far from you, and it is CHEAPER to Uber from my front door to the front door of the Cape Liberty cruise terminal than rent a car from Enterprise.  The drop-off fee is $150!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

I looked at Enterprise.  [snip]  The drop-off fee is $150!

I guess I've been lucky.  Reserved several times for $100 to $125 total.

Reserved a car last week for end of October to drive home and it's $116 total for a "mid-size".  

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I looked at Enterprise.  I live not far from you, and it is CHEAPER to Uber from my front door to the front door of the Cape Liberty cruise terminal than rent a car from Enterprise.  The drop-off fee is $150!

I just checked Uber at your suggestion and it would be about the same price with less aggravation.

Thanks 

Merion_Mom

I live near you. What location do you put in for the  terminal as for some reason  I cannot get an address to input for Cape Liberty.   For some reason, I thought I could not use Uber to and from the  terminal from  where we are in  Pa.

Thank you.

31 minutes ago, elizabethbp said:

Merion_Mom

I live near you. What location do you put in for the  terminal as for some reason  I cannot get an address to input for Cape Liberty.   For some reason, I thought I could not use Uber to and from the  terminal from  where we are in  Pa.

Thank you.

For some reason my Uber app does not recognize Cape Liberty Cruise Port or 4 Port Terminal Blvd, Bayonne, NJ.  However, the online website does.  😲

Lyft app does recognize Cape Liberty Cruise Port.

26 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

For some reason my Uber app does not recognize Cape Liberty Cruise Port or 4 Port Terminal Blvd, Bayonne, NJ.  However, the online website does.  😲

Put in the address for the Bayonne Drydock and Repair which is right next door to the terminal.

100 Military Ocean Term St, Bayonne, NJ 07002

3 minutes ago, artvlay said:

How reliable are they?

As reliable as the individual drivers - they won't work for Uber long if they aren't. The chances of any single driver not showing up are very low and a replacement can take over within minutes.

I just attempted to make a dry run reservation. The only vehicles that were available were Uber X. The other vehicles classes ( UberXL, Comfort and Premier) all said unavailable. I don't think we can fit in an UberX as we have two suitcases and two backpacks. Plus I'M 6"5.

Any thoughts?

@elizabethbp (and others)

I always reserve in advance.  (both ways before the cruise - I don't wait until I am on the cruise to reserve my return ride)

They have no problem picking me up where I am - I am sure that Wayne would be just as straightforward for them.  We both have good access to the  highways locally.

I use 4 Terminal Blvd Bayonne NJ as the address, and have had no problems reserving. 

Sure, the first time I was nervous about reliability, but have had zero problems.  (there, I probably jinxed myself 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2023 at 12:29 PM, Another_Critic said:

I just tried it.  No problem.  Uber app was happy to accept the address.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:02 PM, artvlay said:

I just checked Uber at your suggestion and it would be about the same price with less aggravation.

Thanks 

We live about 1.5 hrs from cruise port and have rented from avis/budget several times.   For us it has worked out cheaper than Uber or Lyft.   

If traveling with just 2 people then it is easiest to return car and take uber to the port with your luggage.   

We have pre-arranged Uber for a 9 am pick up at port several times and works great.  The driver is usually there a couple minutes early so we just walk off ship and jump in their car to Avis for rental to drive home.

Although door to door is nice too!

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

@elizabethbp (and others)

I always reserve in advance.  (both ways before the cruise - I don't wait until I am on the cruise to reserve my return ride)

They have no problem picking me up where I am - I am sure that Wayne would be just as straightforward for them.  We both have good access to the  highways locally.

I use 4 Terminal Blvd Bayonne NJ as the address, and have had no problems reserving. 

Sure, the first time I was nervous about reliability, but have had zero problems.  (there, I probably jinxed myself 😄

When you say that you book in advance, how many days do you do it?